What are your most controversial/extreme views?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Re: What are your most controversial/extreme views?

Post by Ka-El »

Facebook bans Faith Goldy and 'dangerous' right groups

Facebook is banning far-right political commentator Faith Goldy, white nationalist crusader Kevin Goudreau and various extremist groups, the social media company said Monday.

The company said it has longstanding policies on extremist content and organized hate groups and is barring the individuals and organizations under its "Dangerous Individuals and Organizations" community standards policy.

Goldy's views have been described as far-right white nationalist. She was fired from Rebel Media in 2017 after taking part in a neo-Nazi podcast.

"Individuals and organizations who spread hate, attack, or call for the exclusion of others on the basis of who they are have no place on Facebook. That's why we have a policy on dangerous individuals and organizations, which states that we do not allow those who are engaged in offline 'organized hate' to have a presence on Facebook," reads a statement from Facebook.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/fa ... &ocid=iehp

The right has been counting on the spreading of fabricated propaganda, acrimony and hate for some time now. It’s how they managed to get Trump elected. Their greatest defense against getting called out on it has been to try and displace blame to the left – a strategy that has been able to work among their own group (consistent with the research, and their grade two strategy of “that’s what you are but what am I?”). It is encouraging to see organizations such as Facebook take steps like this to stop the spread of misinformation, divisiveness and hate. Castanet should consider implementing the same policy.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Ka-El wrote:The right has been counting on the spreading of fabricated propaganda, acrimony and hate for some time now. It’s how they managed to get Trump elected.

the Democrats running a *bleep* candidate also helped. Ignoring most of the US and only campaigning in two states probably didn't help the Democrats either. Or right, this is "blame shifting", and we can't have that. It was the right and Russia. That's it. Nothing to see here.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

Post by good-cause-girl »

I have a problem with obese Doctors and Nurses. The very people we go to for expert informed information to help us become healthier humans and they don't even look after their own selves. How can you talk to a Doctor about how to lose weight or curb your diabetes or whatever is killing you if they are also broken? If you can't stop filling your mouth with crap how am I to take you seriously? If you don't look healthy why would I trust your advice? Nope, not ever.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

good-cause-girl wrote:I have a problem with obese Doctors and Nurses. The very people we go to for expert informed information to help us become healthier humans and they don't even look after their own selves. How can you talk to a Doctor about how to lose weight or curb your diabetes or whatever is killing you if they are also broken? If you can't stop filling your mouth with *bleep* how am I to take you seriously? If you don't look healthy why would I trust your advice? Nope, not ever.

I take it that you're young ?

Young enough to not has gone through child birth more than once , you don't have a busy schedule that dictates you eat what ever , where ever AND when ever you can .. I take it that you're young enough to not have to worry about the "gravitational effects" of a slowing , elder metabolism ?

Hang on kid , it's gonna be a rough ride

I get where you're coming from , but I'm not young anymore . I'll tell you that MY biggest "issue" regarding my wight (5lbs over) is being to gassed at the end of the day to go through all the "healthy" options in the fridge and find the strength to make it .. Dr's and nurses , for certain , are to busy taking care of people to even take a proper dump or leak during a shift never mind avoiding the crap they put in their mouths...

Then there's the slowing metabolism thing . Nothing short of increasing your exercise combined with reducing every micro joule of fat you eat with help with that ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

To Ma.….. I am in my late 50s, have 5 kids (2 at once once)am raising one grand daughter and was a waitress for 30 years so I get a fast paced world. I learned to eat on the fly and pee when my shift was over. This is not the point here. My point is if they can't be healthy themselves then they can't tell me what is best so that I will take them seriously. If you can't walk the walk don't talk like you can (them not you). These are 'health' professionals right? As in health, like healthy, like 'went to school for a long time' to learn health.

Not sure if you are arguing for them being obese or just being to busy to keep themselves in better shape. Neither says health.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Not sure if you are arguing for them being obese or just being to busy to keep themselves in better shape. Neither says health.

Thanks for your opinion and response !

But while you say " Neither says health" , I must wonder what you "see" as healthy ...

Is it a trim , perky and toned body that looks gooks good ? OR is it a "padded body" that can go toe to toe with anyone who has better than average cardio health , true and total physical strength ?? You know , that's the stuff I use to toss 400 pound steel beams around like paper cups or haul 80 lb bundles of roofing shingles all . day long . when the average football player or weight lifting roid monkey could do for 6 minutes ?

There is a difference between TRUE fitness and the plastic stuff ..

Just wondering .
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
good-cause-girl
Fledgling

To Ma. I am talking about the obese. If they are large due to fitness then giver nails, its a good thing. I'm talking about a human who is clearly and morbidly overweight. When my husband was in the hospital with appendix issues a woman Dr. came in on her rounds and was easily the size of a smart car, was having trouble breathing correctly and started to criticize what I fed him to make him ill. Let me say right here that in the mid 80s I took a 2 year course in night school in nutrition. 90% of all 'food' was being put into boxes and plastic and we were taught what to eat and what to feed our families. This was night school not a full medical course so I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that in actual medical school this would be a 'first cause' course.

I get what it is like to work long hard hours but seriously if you put *bleep* in your mouth you'll be unhealthy. If a Dr. or Nurse can't be bothered to at least eat properly then they are unreliable in my mind.. Not knowing how to eat means to me that you are kind of stupid. No matter where you go in life there is always a salad or grilled chicken or a veggie plate.

Its like watching someone with a gas car constantly putting in diesel.

I have a lot of life under this dress. I've made ridiculous choices. But in the long snotty run of it I knew that what I fed myself made my stamina a yes or no thing. I have run my a$$ of on 14 hour shifts with drunks and gropey hands. I even had a knife pulled on me at work. But that is life and we all have out history but when it comes to the only thing that fuels us, makes us healthy or sick I think this should be something my Doctor or Nurse should practice.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

The Green Barbarian wrote:the Democrats running a *bleep* candidate also helped. Ignoring most of the US and only campaigning in two states probably didn't help the Democrats either. Or right, this is "blame shifting", and we can't have that. It was the right and Russia. That's it. Nothing to see here.

Normally, Clinton would have been a fairly safe bet for the Democrats, but they had two things going against them. The major one was that it's extremely hard for any party to win more than two terms in a row, and the other is that they ran an establishment candidate against a populist.

Had Clinton faced Cruz, she would have won, but had Cruz won the Republican nomination, he would have beat the populist Sanders. And had Sanders faced Trump, Sanders would have won.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

good-cause-girl wrote:I have a problem with obese Doctors and Nurses. The very people we go to for expert informed information to help us become healthier humans and they don't even look after their own selves. How can you talk to a Doctor about how to lose weight or curb your diabetes or whatever is killing you if they are also broken? If you can't stop filling your mouth with *bleep* how am I to take you seriously? If you don't look healthy why would I trust your advice? Nope, not ever.

MAPearce wrote:I take it that you're young ?

Young enough to not has gone through child birth more than once , you don't have a busy schedule that dictates you eat what ever , where ever AND when ever you can .. I take it that you're young enough to not have to worry about the "gravitational effects" of a slowing , elder metabolism ?

Hang on kid , it's gonna be a rough ride

I get where you're coming from , but I'm not young anymore . I'll tell you that MY biggest "issue" regarding my wight (5lbs over) is being to gassed at the end of the day to go through all the "healthy" options in the fridge and find the strength to make it .. Dr's and nurses , for certain , are to busy taking care of people to even take a proper dump or leak during a shift never mind avoiding the *bleep* they put in their mouths...

Then there's the slowing metabolism thing . Nothing short of increasing your exercise combined with reducing every micro joule of fat you eat with help with that ...

The bold face is mine, You have highlighted the misconception that pervades our society and that is fat is bad and that excersice will help you lose weight. It has been demonstrated through rigid protocols that it is the low carbohydrate and high fat diet that is the most effective way to drop weight. Look up Robert Lustig Fat Chance or David Perlmutter Grain Brain if you want additional facts. Exercise alone is not an effective means of losing weight but it will make you healthier.
When you eat carbs, for instance white rice, they are ultimately converted to fat in the liver and when the liver is full the triglycerides are pushed out in the bloodstream.
The most effective way to lose weight is to not eat or fast. Unfortunately too many health professionals are not aware of the
fact that so called healthy grains are not good for you and that table sugar is as bad for you as alcohol because fructose can only be metabolized by the liver. The glucose part of table sugar raises you blood sugar levels to create diabetes.
In Inuit populations consuming a high fat low carb traditional diet, cardiovascular problems are non existent but once carbs and sugar are introduced, then obesity and diabetes skyrocket.
Waste not
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

The bold face is mine, You have highlighted the misconception that pervades our society and that is fat is bad and that excersice will help you lose weight

My bad .. I thought it was a no brainer that we ALL know there are good fats and bad fats.. Just like sugars , there are good and bad ...Same as cholesterol , good and bad .. Might as well throw salt in their too.. Good and bad .

But I guess I was going too fast in thinking that we should ALL know that by now ?? Call me stupid , everyone else does ...

I guess I was offended by , what I thought , was an attempt at "fat shaming" ...

I'll NEVER do that again ....EVER .
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

good-cause-girl wrote:To Ma. I am talking about the obese. If they are large due to fitness then giver nails, its a good thing. I'm talking about a human who is clearly and morbidly overweight. When my husband was in the hospital with appendix issues a woman Dr. came in on her rounds and was easily the size of a smart car, was having trouble breathing correctly and started to criticize what I fed him to make him ill. Let me say right here that in the mid 80s I took a 2 year course in night school in nutrition. 90% of all 'food' was being put into boxes and plastic and we were taught what to eat and what to feed our families. This was night school not a full medical course so I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that in actual medical school this would be a 'first cause' course.

I get what it is like to work long hard hours but seriously if you put *bleep* in your mouth you'll be unhealthy. If a Dr. or Nurse can't be bothered to at least eat properly then they are unreliable in my mind.. Not knowing how to eat means to me that you are kind of stupid. No matter where you go in life there is always a salad or grilled chicken or a veggie plate.

Its like watching someone with a gas car constantly putting in diesel.

I have a lot of life under this dress. I've made ridiculous choices. But in the long snotty run of it I knew that what I fed myself made my stamina a yes or no thing. I have run my a$$ of on 14 hour shifts with drunks and gropey hands. I even had a knife pulled on me at work. But that is life and we all have out history but when it comes to the only thing that fuels us, makes us healthy or sick I think this should be something my Doctor or Nurse should practice.

Clearly you don't understand much about metabolic problems and differences in body types. What an obese person would have to do to become relatively normal and svelte is very different from what you (or I) might need to do to accomplish the same result. Also the advice that has been given those with metabolic problems, for the last forty or fifty years has been seriously flawed. The Diabetic Association continues to tell diabetics they can and should eat 150 grams of carbs a day, or more, this for people who have systems which cannot tolerate carbohydrates. With advice like that, who needs enemies? The tests that most doctors are supposed to use, to determine those with blood sugar disorders miss about 30% of those who already have a malfunction in their metabolism. If I personally was in hospital and needed the care of an overweight doctor or nurse, I would be thrilled that they were even there to provide it. Because in the not too distant future we will soon be so short on doctors or nurses, we won't much care how much they weigh.
There are worse things than being overweight, like being ignorant and judgemental about others' medical conditions.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Apr 11th, 2019, 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Grandan »

The bold face is mine, You have highlighted the misconception that pervades our society and that is fat is bad and that excersice will help you lose weight

MAPearce wrote:My bad .. I thought it was a no brainer that we ALL know there are good fats and bad fats.. Just like sugars , there are good and bad ...Same as cholesterol , good and bad .. Might as well throw salt in their too.. Good and bad .

But I guess I was going too fast in thinking that we should ALL know that by now ?? Call me stupid , everyone else does ...

I guess I was offended by , what I thought , was an attempt at "fat shaming" ...

I'll NEVER do that again ....EVER .

Don't beat yourself up too much. The science on these facts are relatively new. As you say, there are good fats and bad fats, the bad ones are manufactured from seeds and corn using the same process as the manufacture of lubricating oil for machinery.
We are not able to metabolize these oils in the same way that the more natural oils such as olive oil (cold pressed) avocado oil or coconut oils.
With sugars, the only good sugar would be that which occurs naturally within fruits because there is sufficient fibre within that food to offset the effects of sugar in your gut. Sugar is a fat storage food which spikes you insulin and tells your body to store it as fat and it does in quantity.
There is a huge amount of misinformation promoted by the Big Food conglomerates to deceive the general public in the interest of buying more of their products. A heart healthy label on a box of breakfast cereal that has in excess of 50% added sugar is a travesty.
We are fat because of the promotion of grains as a healthy food group. The science says otherwise and science has known of this for more than 20 years.
Our brain is more efficient on fat than it is on carbs. Recent testing has proved this over and over but this information is not making it to mainstream media as it should.
Waste not
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

I've gone from a size 10 to a size 4 by increasing time spent in my peak heart rate (essential for changing metabolism) and severely limiting foods that have man-made ingredients. We cook with foods, not products. Oh yeah, eating restaurant food is a no-no, also.

It is possible. My body type has metabolic disadvantages that require more work.

Work

Effort

Accountability
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

Glacier wrote:Normally, Clinton would have been a fairly safe bet for the Democrats, but they had two things going against them. The major one was that it's extremely hard for any party to win more than two terms in a row, and the other is that they ran an establishment candidate against a populist.

Had Clinton faced Cruz, she would have won, but had Cruz won the Republican nomination, he would have beat the populist Sanders. And had Sanders faced Trump, Sanders would have won.

Is this the game-plan that the Russians gave you? :biggrin:
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
GordonH
Сварливий старий мерзотник

Post by GordonH »

Here is something very controversial:

The sun is warm, the grass is green.

:laugh:
I don't give a damn whether people/posters like me or dislike me, I'm not on earth to win any popularity contests.

Return to “Social Concerns”