Drug Addicts with their Excuses.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Drug Addicts with their Excuses.

Postby one wheel » Jan 16th, 2019, 9:37 pm

I also wondered about that number & how it's calculated ? If a person used the "needle bus" 6 times a day is that counted as 6 people ?
If it is 50,000 we need detox centres & rehabs every 500 feet.
one wheel
Board Meister

Liked in: 518 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jan 17th, 2019, 8:42 am

Silverstarqueen wrote: Wondering about this article: Interior health serves 750,000 roughly people.
Claims there are 50,000 addicts. That's 1/15 is an addict. Seems a little high.

About twenty years ago I was looking at numbers that suggested one out of ten people (10%) would develop addiction problems in their lifetime, and of that number, one out of ten would recover (long term). If those numbers were right then it these new numbers would represent an improvement (6%) overall - possibly a reflection of better education and services.
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.

Queen K likes this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6894 posts

Postby KiloHotel » Jan 17th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Ka-El wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote: Wondering about this article: Interior health serves 750,000 roughly people.
Claims there are 50,000 addicts. That's 1/15 is an addict. Seems a little high.

About twenty years ago I was looking at numbers that suggested one out of ten people (10%) would develop addiction problems in their lifetime, and of that number, one out of ten would recover (long term). If those numbers were right then it these new numbers would represent an improvement (6%) overall - possibly a reflection of better education and services.

Hey, ivory tower, why don't you respond to the second post from the recovered addict disproving your precious officially mandated theory. Every addict chose to take the first step to addiction. Those whom were addicted to pain killers from a serious injury and jumped over to illicit opioids deserve a bit of sympathy I suppose.. But they still jumped from prescription to illicit. Follow the money.. Where did the funding come from / would there be any funding for proponents of the disease theory if they weren't able to "prove" it? Who funded them and what else are they funding and why? Why do people think enabling addicts and removing the biggest and most pronounced consequence of their use, overdose and death, is going to help the problem at all? I'm glad the previous poster and his mother were able to recover from their addictions and wish the best to those who are facing the same issues, but I don't think enabling them and down playing their decisions and the consequences that go with them will help at all.. Really seems to be doing the opposite.
KiloHotel
Fledgling

Liked in: 139 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jan 18th, 2019, 8:45 am

KiloHotel wrote: Hey, ivory tower, why don't you respond to the second post from the recovered addict disproving your precious officially mandated theory.

[icon_lol2.gif] Been awhile since I’ve spent any time in any “ivory towers”, but the one thing more than twenty years on the front lines (“on the streets”) working with addicts has taught me is that one theory does not apply to everyone (although the biopsychosocial model does recognize and take into account the interplay of more than one factor). The other erroneous idea you have is that anecdotal evidence (the experience of one user) either proves or disproves anything. People who need to be accountable for the work they do rely on evidence that has been gathered from across the population using real science. The only thing we are really mandated to do is treat everyone like a human being and not give up. If only the population at large could be mandated to educate themselves on some of these issues. Like it has been said before, sometimes those with the least knowledge of an issue also have the strongest opinions on it (while at the same time closing their minds to considering any new ideas).

p.s. I’ve already commended tantor for having the courage to take responsibility for his situation and make it back.
I’ve had plenty of experience watching how people struggle with addiction. It is not pretty.
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.

2 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6894 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 18th, 2019, 12:21 pm

That's the thing, there is no one answer or solution. There are many avenues from which to pursue recovery, or keeping people not addicted, or preventing drugs from even hitting the streets and ways they are distributed.

For every big bust there seems to be ten loads getting through though.
For every gang war over the drug trade, there's new people stepping in to fill the void the last dead body left.
The stakes are enormous, the money is incredible.
And what drives the need?
We are one of the richest, most "woke" nations in the World. We have services for everything, victimhood growing up included.The one thing that I see over and over on certain facebook sites is parental neglect and lack of belonging driving people to self-destruction. We also have extremely poor communication skills, if you read what people post from their text messages. Omigod what are people NOT willing to say to each other?

I too work the "front line" in the homes of people and see unimaginable things, can imagine what it is like for social workers like Ka-el and a few others here I could name.

At various times I am so frustrated with the drug addiction issue and how it's like holding a finger in a dam for everyone who is helped. Look over there -------->another leak.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15614 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 18th, 2019, 12:25 pm

the truth wrote:people would be shocked to find out about the truth if they knew who is living in these new buildings going up all over town runned by bc housing and john howard.............

Truthy, we'd be shocked if professionals and tradespeople were living in these housing units.

That people who have committed serious crimes are living in 300 sq ft units is not a shock. That these buildings are new, is that what bothers you?

How about refurbished hotels? Aren't they perfect, seeing that they often have separate entrances, shared laundry and private bathrooms? Do you feel better that old motels and hotels are bought up and refurbished for a solution to homelessness?
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15614 posts

Postby KiloHotel » Jan 20th, 2019, 11:16 pm

Think about this, is removing the only real consequence that these people care about, death.. Going to incentivize them to get clean? Is coddling people and giving them everything for nothing going to incentivize them to change? Humans are incentive based creatures, which is why capitalism works so much better than communism. Because it gels with human nature, why would I want to do anything if there is no benefit to me? Why would I change anything about myself if there are no consequences to my actions? The only way to deal with this problem effectively would be to bring back mental institutions and detain them under the mental health act and force them to clean up while providing them with education opportunities, encouragement, and helping them learn basic life skills and habits, if needed. Probably cheaper in the long run if you factor in the potential gains from rehabilitation of these people turning them into productive, tax paying members of society. Rather than enabling their addictions with free wet housing projects and supervised injection sites.

If they are too far gone, and they've given that a couple goes.. Keep them in there away from the productive, normal, tax paying members of society.

Problem solved.

pieinthei likes this post.
KiloHotel
Fledgling

Liked in: 139 posts

Previous

Return to Social Concerns