"Guns don't kill people"

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: "Guns don't kill people"

Postby Fancy » Jan 1st, 2019, 3:18 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:We are still hearing the argument: Criminals (or whoever) will ignore laws anyway, so not much point in having gun laws.

Who is saying that? Please quote the poster thanks.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7164 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 1st, 2019, 3:38 pm

I am sure you could look this up just as easily, I don't know why I need to do that.

MAPearce wrote:"Silverstarqueen"]Quote:
"Answer that one question please .. I'll repeat .

How can you NOT COMPREHEND that those who will break this law or that law will have NO regard for guns laws .."

Think a little bit here. Somehow Canada has 1/8 the homicide by gun even though "those who will break this law will have NO regard for gun laws" So in spite of your BIG question, the fact remains. So what is different up here? It's been blamed on democrats, liberals, cosmic rays. But no one wants to admit the elephant in the room: The NRA has no support up here, our laws are different. Our kids are watching the same violent movies, we have drugs, we have problems. But somehow these problems are not equating to gun deaths (or even homicides in general) any where near the rate in the U.s. So all those millions of guns down there are NOT improving the homicide rate./quote

Provide the "stats" I asked for from the "chart" you posted please ...

Stop beating around the bush .

Why take away a right from a law abiding citizen because of those who don't obey the law ???
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2163 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 1st, 2019, 3:44 pm

My oh MY ..

You're diggin up old dirt ..

Why take away a right from a law abiding citizen because of those who don't obey the law ???

Don't think you ever did answer that ..
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

HoboJo likes this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4613 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 1st, 2019, 4:23 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:I am sure you could look this up just as easily, I don't know why I need to do that.
Because you get what is asked confused. I didn't read anything in that post that states there is not much point in having gun laws. Please quote an actual answer to the question.

HoboJo likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby MAPearce » Jan 1st, 2019, 5:00 pm

Please quote an actual answer to the question.

good luck with that ....

Happy New Year Fancy !!
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4613 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 1st, 2019, 5:21 pm

I know right? And thanks and Happy New Year to you too!!!

MAPearce likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 1st, 2019, 5:51 pm

Two teens dead, senseless loss of lives. Barely old enough to drive, but they've got access to a lethal weapon.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/just-two ... eOShLTlyJ/
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby 36Drew » Jan 1st, 2019, 6:02 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:Two teens dead, senseless loss of lives. Barely old enough to drive, but they've got access to a lethal weapon.

https://www.ajc.com/news/local/just-two ... eOShLTlyJ/

You can't at all compare any of the US firearm laws with Canada. They're all over the map (litereally, it's a state-by-state system), it's a totally different system, and a totally different attitude. Are you trying to discuss Canadian or US firearms issues in this thread?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

3 people like this post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 601 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 1st, 2019, 7:01 pm

One of the links I posted today gave a pretty good breakdown of the different laws in each state.
Everyone is well aware that Canadian laws are different, with very different results in gun death rates.
Both countries (and a few other countries such as Japan, UK) and their laws, resident attitudes and habits have been discussed.
The firearms laws in any countries can indeed be compared even if they are different, that's part of the point.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Fancy » Jan 1st, 2019, 7:07 pm

Fancy wrote:Here's a site that shows gun laws by state:

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/

I've said it before, some states need to tighten up their laws.

So what's your point Silverstarqueen?
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby 36Drew » Jan 1st, 2019, 11:11 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:One of the links I posted today gave a pretty good breakdown of the different laws in each state.
Everyone is well aware that Canadian laws are different, with very different results in gun death rates.
Both countries (and a few other countries such as Japan, UK) and their laws, resident attitudes and habits have been discussed.
The firearms laws in any countries can indeed be compared even if they are different, that's part of the point.

What about firearms regulations in, I don't know... Sweden? Switzerland? Afghanistan? Iraq? As has been asked - what's your point? Are you trying to suggest some people shouldn't have firearms? Some countries firearms laws/regulations are *bleep*? Or are you trying to erroneously paint a narrative of firearms in Canada based on what happens south of our border?

It's pretty obvious you have a hate-on for firearms. You probably shouldn't bother studying for your PAL, but you're very ill-equipped to discuss firearms laws in Canada. They're messed, but not for the reasons you'd give.

dirtybiker likes this post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Ka-El » Jan 2nd, 2019, 8:41 am

Drew, I would be very interested in knowing where you think our gun laws are messed,
and what you would suggest to correct them.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” — Charles Darwin
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6043 posts

Postby 36Drew » Jan 2nd, 2019, 10:51 am

Ka-El wrote:Drew, I would be very interested in knowing where you think our gun laws are messed,
and what you would suggest to correct them.

There's little to no consistency for what is considered a prohibited firearm. The process is best described as a committee looking through a catalog and pointing at anything that looks "scary". There's little rhyme or reason to how firearms are selected to be on the list.

The limitations on magazine capacity makes little sense. Someone intent on breaking the law will just remove the pin/block. Otherwise it serves only to put in a 3-second pause for IPSC shooters.

There's a plethora of other oddities as well. Every firearm owner I know of has their own pet peeve.

How to fix? I'm not terribly certain. Ensure that those involved in firearms legislation/regulation are far more informed than SSQ,
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Leifer » Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:03 pm

There's little to no consistency for what is considered a prohibited firearm. The process is best described as a committee looking through a catalog and pointing at anything that looks "scary". There's little rhyme or reason to how firearms are selected to be on the list.

Too true.
Good ol Mini-14 gets a pass (Canadian preferred mass murder rifle) while a super scary AR-15 gets restricted (and briefly went Prohib). Both fire .223 semi-auto all day long. :135:

3-second pause for IPSC shooters.

3 seconds!!
Someone needs to spend more time working on their reload drills. =)
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)
Leifer
Board Meister

Liked in: 1041 posts

Postby 36Drew » Jan 2nd, 2019, 12:36 pm

Leifer wrote:Too true.
Good ol Mini-14 gets a pass (Canadian preferred mass murder rifle) while a super scary AR-15 gets restricted (and briefly went Prohib). Both fire .223 semi-auto all day long. :135:

Or the Barrett M82 being prohibited, but I can take an M99 out into the woods for some target shooting as it's non-restricted.

3-second pause for IPSC shooters.

3 seconds!!
Someone needs to spend more time working on their reload drills. =)[/quote]

I'm not IPSC. My reloads are slow in comparison but I think respectable for a casual shooter. I prefer rifle shooting, though.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns