"Guns don't kill people"

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: "Guns don't kill people"

Postby Boda » Jan 2nd, 2019, 1:22 pm

It's the American way!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/ne ... ar-BBRI73f

Gun restrictions only protect us from stupid people.
Trouble is, there are too many of them.

Silverstarqueen likes this post.
Boda
Board Meister

Liked in: 255 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jan 2nd, 2019, 2:12 pm

Boda wrote: Gun restrictions only protect us from stupid people.

Sounds like a good argument for gun control. :smt045
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” — Charles Darwin

2 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6027 posts

Postby 36Drew » Jan 2nd, 2019, 2:49 pm

Boda wrote:It's the American way!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/ne ... ar-BBRI73f

Gun restrictions only protect us from stupid people.

I don't see any Canadian cities on that list. Perhaps we have a far better attitude towards firearm ownership and handling than our US brethren?
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Boda likes this post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 598 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 2nd, 2019, 3:20 pm

36Drew wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:One of the links I posted today gave a pretty good breakdown of the different laws in each state.
Everyone is well aware that Canadian laws are different, with very different results in gun death rates.
Both countries (and a few other countries such as Japan, UK) and their laws, resident attitudes and habits have been discussed.
The firearms laws in any countries can indeed be compared even if they are different, that's part of the point.

What about firearms regulations in, I don't know... Sweden? Switzerland? Afghanistan? Iraq? As has been asked - what's your point? Are you trying to suggest some people shouldn't have firearms? Some countries firearms laws/regulations are *bleep*? Or are you trying to erroneously paint a narrative of firearms in Canada based on what happens south of our border?

It's pretty obvious you have a hate-on for firearms. You probably shouldn't bother studying for your PAL, but you're very ill-equipped to discuss firearms laws in Canada. They're messed, but not for the reasons you'd give.

I don't think you have read my previous posts, because my point has been made pretty clear in most of them.
I have said some people shouldn't have firearms, so why do you ask? I have also said which kinds of people I have no problem with if they have firearms.
I have said some countries firearms laws are *bleep*, or could at least be improve let's say.
I am not erroneously painting anything, most of my posts have quoted factual sources of real information, except where I have discussed opinions that I sometimes agree or disagree with.
Comparing different states regulations and how effective they are at reducing gun deaths certainly is worth comparing to regs in Canada. I, and others, have commented on where those regulations might be improved.
I have also clearly stated where I am not opposed to firearms in Canada.
I don't need to have a degree in medical practice to have an opinion or share information about our health care.
I dont' need to be an expert in firearms to have an opinion or share information about firearms laws in Canada.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2162 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 2nd, 2019, 3:25 pm

You can post all the news items you want but that isn't a discussion and won't solve the US problem. I've already posted the Canadian Firearms Act and other pertinent information.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

2 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7145 posts

Postby Boda » Jan 2nd, 2019, 6:27 pm

Fancy wrote:You can post all the news items you want but that isn't a discussion and won't solve the US problem. I've already posted the Canadian Firearms Act and other pertinent information.

Thanks Fancy.
I'm well aware I wouldn't solve the US problem(s) by attaching that article. I just happened to come across it after I had skimmed thru this "discussion" and attached it for saterical value.

I believe it's pretty easy to see that guns don't kill people but the article demonstrates (to me anyway) that you need to regulate there use.
Boda
Board Meister

Liked in: 255 posts

Postby HoboJo » Jan 3rd, 2019, 6:34 pm

I don't think you have read my previous posts, because my point has been made pretty clear in most of them.
I have said some people shouldn't have firearms, so why do you ask?

A couple hundred posts ago I recommended that you actually apply for a PAL or RPAL.

Now I think we should start a GoFundMe campaign to further your education. 300$ 3 months.

Really, The Americans are coming <deg>

MAPearce likes this post.
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 474 posts

Postby HoboJo » Jan 3rd, 2019, 6:36 pm

You may not enjoy the vetting process mind you since you sound craxy

2 people like this post.
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby HoboJo » Jan 7th, 2019, 11:56 pm

HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby 36Drew » Jan 8th, 2019, 1:16 am

Oh look - restricted firearms smuggled across the border and sold to criminals to be used in crimes. Maybe instead of making new laws and finding new ways to criminalize law-abiding, legitimate firearms owners, we need to be far better at enforcing our existing laws and keeping illegal firearms out of our country and off the streets.

I see one of the headlines below that article regarding a handgun ban. Fat lot of good it would do with smuggled handguns.

3 people like this post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 8th, 2019, 12:29 pm

HoboJo wrote:
I have said some people shouldn't have firearms, so why do you ask?

A couple hundred posts ago I recommended that you actually apply for a PAL or RPAL.

Now I think we should start a GoFundMe campaign to further your education. 300$ 3 months.

Really, The Americans are coming <deg>

Why would I, or anyone else with absolutely zero interest or useful purpose in using firearms, sign up for PAL.
It was a silly suggestion a hundred posts ago, and it is still a silly suggestion.

As a person with no interest in using a firearm, you don't hear suggestions from me or similar minded people, that all gunowners should just not own guns. Because that would be equally silly.
I have said those who have an actual reason or use for owning or using guns should be able to use them (given they follow the applicable laws, and are not suffering serious mental or emotional illness, aggression, or incompetency.
You think my position is "crazy".
So your position must be different, that people should be able to have lethal weapons as toys even though they don't need them, and if they suffer from serious mental illness, or aggressive tendencies, should be free to have and use them as they see fit. Most Canadians would disaggree.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Jan 8th, 2019, 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby 36Drew » Jan 8th, 2019, 1:10 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:I have said those who have an actual reason or use for owning or using guns should be able to use them (given they follow the applicable laws, and are not suffering serious mental or emotional illness, aggression, or incompetency.

Provide your definition of "actual reason or use".

Silverstarqueen wrote:and if they suffer from serious mental illness, or aggressive tendencies, should be free to have and use them as they see fit.

Quote anyone in this thread who has said that anyone that suffers serious mental illness or aggressive tendencies should be free to own and use a firearm.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 8th, 2019, 4:12 pm

MAPearce wrote:

Guns don't kill people .. PEOPLE kill people .

Silverstarqueen's response: I have no idea why you would try to minimize this type of situation.

Because YOU and the rest of "peoplekind" ( that's more inclusive) like you with an SJW belief keep making mountains out of mole hills when it comes to a realistic view of what plagues society today .

Silverstarqueen wrote:Did you read the report "An armed man was making threats". He was "distraught" and damaging property.
He wasn't cooperating with police.
So does this sound like a guy who should have a gun?
Yes, people kill people. Angry people, distraught people, people making threats, while they are armed.
You call this a molehill. I hope you don't think this is appropriate behavior for someone who is armed.
So does this sound like the police had to be extremely cautious for their safety, and had to arrest him? If they don't lay whatever appropriate charges for misuse of a firearm, he can go home with his gun, and next month we will hear about how his "cry for help" left someone dead. Then the public will , rightly, say Why didn't the police do something about it when they were right there?
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby 36Drew » Jan 8th, 2019, 4:18 pm

You still didn't answer my two questions. Define "actual reason and use", and show where a forum user has stated that anyone that suffers serious mental illness or aggressive tendencies should be free to own and use a firearm.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 8th, 2019, 4:46 pm

Maybe someone can explain to me how a mentally balanced person would believe that gun owners will somehow "save me" (from some imaginary threat), AND they will save " the rest of this once great nation". From Who? So this person obviously thinks that wing-nuts should be prepared to go out willy nilly and save everyone from immigrants " your worst nightmare.

MAPearce wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:Why would the NRA be so opposed to research, unless they already knew that the research would show that legislating gun ownership might lead to far fewer deaths or lower crime, therefore leading to laws where fewer guns would be sold (more selectively) to fewer gun owners who showed high risk of causing death or guns being used for criminal purposes.

One of these days , and it won't be long ... You will be thankful that a LEGAL gun owner saved your butt with a gun . AND the rest of this once great nation ...

UN migrant Compact on Immigration will be YOUR . worst . nightmare .....
Silverstarqueen
Guru

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns