"Guns don't kill people"

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: "Guns don't kill people"

Postby MAPearce » Jan 8th, 2019, 4:02 pm

Maybe someone can explain to me how a mentally balanced person would believe that gun owners will somehow "save me" (from some imaginary threat), AND they will save " the rest of this once great nation". From Who? So this person obviously thinks that wing-nuts should be prepared to go out willy nilly and save everyone from immigrants " your worst nightmare.

Hmmm... a mentally balanced person knows EXACTLY what I'm talking about ...

Do you know what's going on in Europe right now "from some imaginary threat " ???

I don't know what made the cheese slide of your cracker , but it slid SO far , it hit the floor
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4398 posts

Postby 36Drew » Jan 8th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:Maybe someone can explain to me how a mentally balanced person would believe that gun owners will somehow "save me" (from some imaginary threat), AND they will save " the rest of this once great nation". From Who? So this person obviously thinks that wing-nuts should be prepared to go out willy nilly and save everyone from immigrants " your worst nightmare.

Maybe you can stop skirting the issue and back up your claims by answering the two questions that I've posed. Define what you consider to be "actual reason and use" as it pertains to firearm ownership, and show where a forum user has stated that anyone that suffers serious mental illness or aggressive tendencies should be free to own and use a firearm.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 559 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 8th, 2019, 9:59 pm

^^^ you didn't really expect an intellectual answer , did you ???

All you're going to get is crickets .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

dirtybiker likes this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 9th, 2019, 10:27 am

I have commented in several posts the types of uses which I think are perfectly fine for firearms use. If other readers aren't reading what I have posted, there is no point in repeating all that again. I gave clear examples of
some which were not in my opinion, e.g. more than one guy with obvious mental or aggressive issues, holding police at bay with a firearm. The response was I was making "mountains out of molehills" of people waving around firearms and threatening, refusing to cooperate with police, etc. I do not believe that using firearms to harm or threaten immigrants for example (as suggested by Mac, which I quoted) is a legitimate use. So claims that I have not responded are unfounded.
Beyond that, it isn't up to me, it is up to the lawmakers. I am sure they are quite qualified to determined what purposes are fine for firearms use, and which are not (at least in Canada, I have no faith in the U.s. lawmakers because the influence of the NRA is far too strong in american politics). The police are the ones who have to deal with the many problems that arise from improper use of firearms and the public safety in the face of that. So I think their opinion is far more important than mine. I am sure that lawmakers take their advice seriously. so any measures which make their job easier, or the public safer, are measures which I am in favor of.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2145 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 9th, 2019, 10:31 am

36Drew wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:Maybe someone can explain to me how a mentally balanced person would believe that gun owners will somehow "save me" (from some imaginary threat), AND they will save " the rest of this once great nation". From Who? So this person obviously thinks that wing-nuts should be prepared to go out willy nilly and save everyone from immigrants " your worst nightmare.

Maybe you can stop skirting the issue and back up your claims by answering the two questions that I've posed. Define what you consider to be "actual reason and use" as it pertains to firearm ownership, and show where a forum user has stated that anyone that suffers serious mental illness or aggressive tendencies should be free to own and use a firearm.

This was not a reasonable use of a firearm, but was suggested by Mac. I have quoted his response to incidents where a disturbed individual was obviously misusing a firearm, holding police at bay for hours, and he thinks it is "making mountains out of molehills". I think my many past posts regarding my opinions about acceptable, and not-acceptable use of a firearm, more than answers the question. I see no reason to repeat all that again if you haven't read it before.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby 36Drew » Jan 9th, 2019, 6:18 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:I have commented in several posts the types of uses which I think are perfectly fine for firearms use.

Aside from the obvious law-enforcement and military uses, you've commented in exactly one that I could find. Even then, it was a passing suggestion that firearms should only be used for hunting. Well, target shooting is a sport. People shoot at targets at a controlled facility (gun range) with restricted firearms (handguns). That's also a legitimate use.

Silverstarqueen wrote:If other readers aren't reading what I have posted, there is no point in repeating all that again. I gave clear examples of
some which were not in my opinion, e.g. more than one guy with obvious mental or aggressive issues, holding police at bay with a firearm. The response was I was making "mountains out of molehills" of people waving around firearms and threatening, refusing to cooperate with police, etc. I do not believe that using firearms to harm or threaten immigrants for example (as suggested by Mac, which I quoted) is a legitimate use. So claims that I have not responded are unfounded.

Criminal use of firearms is not a legitimate use, regardless of the firearm type. Also, that does not indicate what you think a legitimate use is - simply what would be an illegitimate (and illegal) use. So you've totally avoided the question.

You've also failed to show anyone here that condones ownership by anyone who is mentally unstable.

Try focusing the conversation a little.

MAPearce likes this post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby MAPearce » Jan 9th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:
If other readers aren't reading what I have posted, there is no point in repeating all that again

I , for one of many , have read your posts...It's painful.

But YOU haven't answered a single question put forth to you by myself or many , MANY posters ..

Why not ???
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby t76turbo » Jan 10th, 2019, 1:46 pm

Here’s a great article I just came across

https://torontosun.com/opinion/columnis ... he-hassles
t76turbo
Fledgling

Liked in: 166 posts

Postby Zoso » Jan 10th, 2019, 4:49 pm

Just goes to show you yet again that government is nothing but a bunch of chairs trying to look busy . Proactively keeping bad guys in check is much more difficult than talking to reasonable people that accept abuse .
Zoso
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 286 posts

Postby 36Drew » Jan 10th, 2019, 5:30 pm

From the linked article:

Neither Canada’s criminal justice system nor its police information computers keeps track of the whereabouts of people subject to “weapons prohibition orders.”

Damn. That sounds like an idea. If I'm to be subjected to a random home search simply for having a PAL, maybe someone who's been sentenced and handed a "weapons prohibition order" should also be subjected to the same?
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby HoboJo » Jan 10th, 2019, 11:06 pm

Damn. That sounds like an idea. If I'm to be subjected to a random home search simply for having a PAL, maybe someone who's been sentenced and handed a "weapons prohibition order" should also be subjected to the same?

This thread does bring out the crazies eh?

No, random house searches for having a PAL are no more legal than the random anal probes you may get at the 'club'

Those people on probation may well be subjected to home searches as part of their probation.
If you can't join them, beat them with a dead horse.

You can lead a bird to water but you can`t make it think.

Get off your high egg.
HoboJo
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 474 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 11th, 2019, 8:03 am

36Drew wrote:From the linked article:

Neither Canada’s criminal justice system nor its police information computers keeps track of the whereabouts of people subject to “weapons prohibition orders.”

I would agree.
The police can already demand a breathalyzer test of drivers practically anywhere without cause, so certainly they should be able to search homes or outbuildings of those prohibited from owning weapons. Those who are not breaking the law should not have a problem with random checks.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby 36Drew » Jan 11th, 2019, 2:19 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:I would agree.
The police can already demand a breathalyzer test of drivers practically anywhere without cause, so certainly they should be able to search homes or outbuildings of those prohibited from owning weapons. Those who are not breaking the law should not have a problem with random checks.

You first. You don't have a PAL, and therefore are prohibited from owning a firearm. Call the Vernon RCMP and ask them to come give you a random search.

Oh - and you still haven't answered the questions. You're a pro at avoidance.

HoboJo likes this post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 11th, 2019, 6:22 pm

The police can stop by any time they like. I'd love to give them a tour. I have nothing to hide.
How about you?
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby 36Drew » Jan 11th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:The police can stop by any time they like. I'd love to give them a tour. I have nothing to hide.
How about you?

I do not have "pleasant conversations" with police - I answer questions when asked. I do not invite them into my house (unless they're family/friends over for dinner that is), but rather they're welcome when answering a call or if they present a search warrant. The law exists on both sides, and I work within the confines of said law. Nothing to hide, but nothing to show either.

YMMV.

You've yet to answer the questions you've been asked. While you might not identify as crazy, you're certainly a pro at moving goalposts.

MAPearce likes this post.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns