Panhandlers......Be Careful

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Panhandlers......Be Careful

Postby Straight Shooter » Dec 1st, 2018, 10:08 am

Last Saturday afternoon I was inside the Tim Hortons on Bernard Ave. observing a panhandler who was quite aggressive in his actions of approaching people. There were many sympathetic customers leaving the store who instead of dropping money into his plastic cup where offering coffee and or some food to eat. The cups of coffee given to him were placed on a nearby bench and a hash brown given to him by a young lady ended up in a garbage can. After he left the three cups of coffee were not touched nor was a sandwich that was also given to him. So, the people who would rather give food than change. Your kind gesture was not appreciated by this fellow but the money he panhandled certainly was!

3 people like this post.
Straight Shooter
Board Meister

Liked in: 238 posts

Re: Panhandlers......Be Careful

Postby the truth » Dec 1st, 2018, 10:12 am

people need to stop feeding and giving money to these junkies wake up people
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

5 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6744 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 1st, 2018, 10:14 am

That's been a complaint for decades - panhandlers throwing away food - so I'm not understanding why cater to them.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

2 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7145 posts

Postby TreeGuy » Dec 1st, 2018, 10:15 am

Just like the garbage left on the medians of the intersections in Kelowna below the sign that says no panhandling. Grrr.

Conservation tells us not to feed the bears because it will create a bear problem and is harmful to the bears. The same applies to panhandlers.

11 people like this post.
TreeGuy

Liked in: 3493 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Dec 1st, 2018, 10:28 am

This is why I made a decision long ago to never give money to beggars/panhandlers.

I'll put that money into a shelter, or a soup kitchen, etc. 95% of the time when you give it to them it goes straight into alcohol/drugs rather than what they say they need it for.

People wouldn't panhandle if nobody donated - nobody likes being accosted for money. If we all donated straight to aid societies we'd all be a lot better off, including those who are down on their luck.

Scrobins94 likes this post.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1249 posts

Postby Jlabute » Dec 1st, 2018, 11:13 am

I’ve given a few dollars here and there... to two specific homeless. There is one elderly homeless who begs at a Costco street entrance. Looks too old to work. There is also a lady in a wheelchair with missing limbs... my son has given her a few dollars now and then. Not too inclined to give money to the young able bodied beggars.
Justin Trudeau? NO! Trust in Judo!

3 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1519 posts

Postby LTD » Dec 1st, 2018, 11:27 am

you mean theyre not all just trying to get money to get home?

2 people like this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3398 posts

Postby whatwhat » Dec 1st, 2018, 11:42 am

Purchasing food (especially 3 coffees!) for someone who may not even be hungry or thirsty is just wasteful.

There are other essentials that homeless people need other then food, which I think people forget about. Maybe he was saving up for certain medications, clean socks/underwear, first aid supplies, personal hygiene products (deodorant, tampons/pads for women, toothbrushes and paste, soap), pet food etc.

I get that people may not want to give money as they are worried about them spending then on drugs and alcohol, but people also need to be thoughtful in what they are giving them. There are other options such as purchasing gift cards (even for Tim Hortons for when the person is hungry), or asking the person what they are needing is good ways to actually help the person as well as to not waste your money.
hail Satan y'all
whatwhat
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2042 posts

Postby 7600736 » Dec 1st, 2018, 11:55 am

Part of the problem is people keep giving these scumbags money. STOP DOING THIS!
Last edited by 7600736 on Dec 1st, 2018, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4 people like this post.
Fledgling

Liked in: 210 posts

Postby 7600736 » Dec 1st, 2018, 12:22 pm

7600736 wrote:I find your naivete both charming and amusing:

Purchasing food (especially 3 coffees!) for someone who may not even be hungry or thirsty is just wasteful.

There are other essentials that homeless people need other then food, which I think people forget about. Maybe he was saving up for certain medications, clean socks/underwear, first aid supplies, personal hygiene products (deodorant, tampons/pads for women, toothbrushes and paste, soap), pet food etc.

I get that people may not want to give money as they are worried about them spending then on drugs and alcohol, but people also need to be thoughtful in what they are giving them. There are other options such as purchasing gift cards (even for Tim Hortons for when the person is hungry), or asking the person what they are needing is good ways to actually help the person as well as to not waste your money
Fledgling

Liked in: 210 posts

Postby ShannonG » Dec 1st, 2018, 12:34 pm

There's a guy who spends time outside the Dollarama by Superstore that I find downright rude and aggressive. He doesn't scare me (mostly because I am a mean beeyotch) but yelling at me to buy you a pop from thirty feet away ain't no way to make friends with me. On the flip side of that coin, there is a fellow who is sometimes outside Superstore who I buy odd items for when I can. I rarely give money, just because I think the fact that people are homeless gives anecdotal testimony to the fact that poor decisions have been made, both financially and otherwise, in the past. I don't want my five bucks to be responsible for the next OD.

2 people like this post.
ShannonG
Fledgling

Liked in: 394 posts

Postby Frisk » Dec 1st, 2018, 1:00 pm

I usually keep a couple pairs of clothes and blankets that I don't want anymore in the backseat of my car to give to people asking for help. Ironically most of them say no before I even show it to them even though their signs usually say something like "anything helps". I would never give money, we all know where that would end up.
You've got to have a little sadness once in a while so you know when the good times come.
Bob Ross

gardengirl likes this post.
Frisk
Guru

Liked in: 2223 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 1st, 2018, 1:05 pm

I'm not impressed to see blankets left where they were used or outside dumpsters. Guess it's easy to pick another one up when they're needed.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7145 posts

Postby gardengirl » Dec 1st, 2018, 1:07 pm

ShannonG wrote:There's a guy who spends time outside the Dollarama by Superstore that I find downright rude and aggressive. He doesn't scare me (mostly because I am a mean beeyotch) but yelling at me to buy you a pop from thirty feet away ain't no way to make friends with me. On the flip side of that coin, there is a fellow who is sometimes outside Superstore who I buy odd items for when I can. I rarely give money, just because I think the fact that people are homeless gives anecdotal testimony to the fact that poor decisions have been made, both financially and otherwise, in the past. I don't want my five bucks to be responsible for the next OD.

That is the same guy who used to hang around at Shoppers Drug Mart. He used to roll up his pantleg to show off his scab for sympathy. Of course, while picking it to keep it nice and and fresh.
He has always looked well fed and only shows up when it gets cooler outside. I have seen him making the rounds. He has been in the "career" for many years. His recent technique is the metal bucket so he sounds like someone from the Salvation Army.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 673 posts

Postby gardengirl » Dec 1st, 2018, 1:11 pm

Jlabute wrote:I’ve given a few dollars here and there... to two specific homeless. There is one elderly homeless who begs at a Costco street entrance. Looks too old to work. There is also a lady in a wheelchair with missing limbs... my son has given her a few dollars now and then. Not too inclined to give money to the young able bodied beggars.

I figure if that guy can spent literally hours out there every day, he is not that sick. He has quite the collection of props as well. Sometimes it is a walker, other times a wheelchair, then days he is just standing there. Some days he has loaned his props out to another guy who stands there. I have also seen discarded food there, like most who do this, he just wants the cash.
I have had people who live in the area tell me he is not homeless, but lives very close by.
Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death.
gardengirl
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 673 posts

Next

Return to Social Concerns