Panhandlers......Be Careful

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Panhandlers......Be Careful

Postby pieinthei » Dec 21st, 2018, 1:16 pm

10-4 that!
pieinthei
Fledgling

Liked in: 247 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 21st, 2018, 1:24 pm

OK people lets not mistaken are new poster and member--theharshtruth-- with me the real truth---the truth-- :200: [icon_lol2.gif]
thank you my people
thetruth
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

3 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6507 posts

Postby Bpeep » Dec 21st, 2018, 1:38 pm

WalterWhite wrote:The Christmas Grinch has already made an appearance.
Only fitting a Christmas troll should show up...

keep-calm-and-dont-feed-the-troll-16.jpg

Hes been here plenty before, under a variety of names.
You'll recognize his prose soon enough, I'm certain.

Welcome back, Troll.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

4 people like this post.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 10342 posts

Postby dominik » Dec 21st, 2018, 4:48 pm

Fancy wrote:Do you think those that are panhandling are going to stop even if they get into housing?

Based on a few studies, panhandlers aren't necessarily homeless but they may be in the target population for supportive housing or social housing projects. So by lowering their costs, giving them the chance to balance their budget and re-focus their efforts on improving their life's "can" have a positive overall impact on the community.

It does however depend on the programs and support network offered with these projects.

Scrobins94 likes this post.
dominik
Fledgling

Liked in: 199 posts

Postby the truth » Dec 21st, 2018, 10:34 pm

do you honestly believe the stuff that comes out of your mouth ,, how old are you
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell

2 people like this post.
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6507 posts

Postby OKkayak » Dec 22nd, 2018, 2:38 am

the truth wrote:do you honestly believe the stuff that comes out of your mouth ,, how old are you

You'd be surprised what types of people pan-handle. All walks of life. There was a story years ago about one guy standing on the corner in the US, after a day of getting some cash, he walks off and drives away in his Benz.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1484 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 22nd, 2018, 8:30 am

It should be known that not all panhandlers are homeless - there's been enough articles in the news over the years. Toronto had a lady that would drive her expensive car to Yonge Street to beg and I've seen a father and son team (presumably) work a grocery store. Who remembers the Ukraine/Polish guy (seems the country changes) that worked around the Future Shop area and London Drugs - he seemed to like his vodka. There's a fellow on Bernard that panhandles yet has a roof over his head. Be careful who you give money to if you want the money to go to good use.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6690 posts

Postby Bpeep » Dec 22nd, 2018, 5:25 pm

Haha that old European guy got me once for $5 in the orchard plaza parking lot.
I caught a whiff of him when I handed him the money.
I felt too suckered to withdraw my offer.
But, like George Dubya once said,
Fool me once, shame on me.
Fool me twice, well, we won't be fooled again.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.
Bpeep
Mindquad

Liked in: 10342 posts

Postby 1nick » Dec 22nd, 2018, 5:47 pm

There was a old guy with a dog, hung around Westbank a few years ago. I was checking my 649 at the Shell and won $1000.00!
So happy, I gave him the 20 I had in my wallet, (while his dog barked his face off at me) he was so happy too.
The old bugger died about two weeks later :-(
You don’t have to be a chronic crack smoker for years to be a trump supporter but, it helps.

Bpeep likes this post.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 862 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 24th, 2018, 9:14 am

theharshtruth wrote:
t76turbo wrote:So I work my a** off, I’m self employed, usually 12hr days, no vacations, maybe once or twice a year go camping/fishing with my kids. I have 4, ranging in age from 2 to 16.
I don’t donate to anything or anybody. Remember 4 kids! Way too many freeloaders looking for handouts.
And all those blankets, socks, undies, empties, suitcases... well I clean those up from my commercial buildings weekly.
Let’s not forget the 2 litre bottles or milk jugs used as *bleep* buckets...
Just last week one junkie who sneaks into building was using a small propane bbq in the emergency
exit staircase, indoors putting all my tenants at risk from fire!

Stop feeding and giving handouts to these animals! They do not care about fellow man. Only themselves,...probably that’s what got them to where they are in the first place!

Who are you to call them by such a disrespectful term? That is EXACTLY where the problem lies. The entitled thinking only of themselves then blaming the homeless not caring for fellow man. I don't entirely blame them for not caring given how some of you people speak so disgusting of them without a full depth on the situation.

Hi, I see you've been saying "the entitled".

May I ask what is entitled when people put themselves through some sort of post secondary education, achieve, save, and build their assets?

It's people who built themselves up who donated to the Tiny Tim Christmas toy drive at the Coast Hotel. Heck at the many functions designed to assist the poor and homeless. All that donating wasn't a sign of "not caring" it was a sign of caring. :135: no?

Anyway, welcome to the board, where the harsh truth is that many people here have worked very hard and long for their "entitlements" please remember that. I get it that not everyone is able, they have hurdles and personal struggles unknown to us. It's not that people don't care though. I recall a day when I realized I could not afford a pair of new socks. Keeps me humble to this day. So entitled is harsh to use.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.

the truth likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13978 posts

Postby mexi cali » Dec 24th, 2018, 9:36 am

OKkayak wrote:
the truth wrote:do you honestly believe the stuff that comes out of your mouth ,, how old are you

You'd be surprised what types of people pan-handle. All walks of life. There was a story years ago about one guy standing on the corner in the US, after a day of getting some cash, he walks off and drives away in his Benz.

You mean Urban Myth.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

normaM likes this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 3777 posts

Postby mexi cali » Dec 24th, 2018, 9:42 am

Scrobins94 wrote:I don't give panhandlers money, that IMO is not the solution. It actually rewards negative behaviour. But what I do support is supportive and affordable housing. That IMO is the solution to homelessness and prevention.

So, supportive and affordable housing is the answer? While the end result to the indigent is 4 walls and a roof, strangely, these buildings don't erect themselves for free. It costs a ton of money to build "affordable" housing and a ton more to keep them running.

You state it as though it were a simple fix and if we wish it, they will appear.

I wonder what you yourself might be willing to contribute to this simple fix?
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 3777 posts

Postby Queen K » Dec 24th, 2018, 9:45 am

Always donate or shop at Habitat For Humanity on Enterprise Ave.

They build houses. My own cousin was able to have one in Grand Forks. So I know.
Here I thought there was nothing lower than a snakes belly in a rut in a ditch. I was wrong.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 13978 posts

Previous

Return to Social Concerns