Panhandlers......Be Careful

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
motorhomebabe
Lord of the Board

Re: Panhandlers......Be Careful

Post by motorhomebabe »

We worked and paid taxes all our lives and if that wasn't bad enough now we have to pay taxes and income tax on our pensions. Isnt that called double dipping?
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

I shop at Dollarama by Costco all the time and i always give the older hunched over fellow a few bucks. As for the younger guy who hangs out front of Dollarama he can suck rocks!
Scrobins94
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scrobins94 »

Well if we give them money and they will buy alcohol or drugs with it, doesn't that just lower their life expectancy? :digging:
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Straight Shooter wrote:Last Saturday afternoon I was inside the Tim Hortons on Bernard Ave. observing a panhandler who was quite aggressive in his actions of approaching people. There were many sympathetic customers leaving the store who instead of dropping money into his plastic cup where offering coffee and or some food to eat. The cups of coffee given to him were placed on a nearby bench and a hash brown given to him by a young lady ended up in a garbage can. After he left the three cups of coffee were not touched nor was a sandwich that was also given to him. So, the people who would rather give food than change. Your kind gesture was not appreciated by this fellow but the money he panhandled certainly was!

...guess not many dealers are taking hashbrowns in trade for a fix.....
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

This is an awful thread. So many angry, judgemental people calling other people names. Who knows the circumstances of these folks.....loss of job, PTSD, death of a child or partner. You all have yourselves a Merry Christmas :130: Guess it'll be my turn to be bashed now.
bjsilent
Board Meister

Post by bjsilent »

grapefruit wrote:This is an awful thread. So many angry, judgemental people calling other people names. Who knows the circumstances of these folks.....loss of job, PTSD, death of a child or partner. You all have yourselves a Merry Christmas :130: Guess it'll be my turn to be bashed now.

You could go down to Cornerstone and hand out free hugs and scarves :up: :up:
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

bjsilent wrote:
grapefruit wrote:This is an awful thread. So many angry, judgemental people calling other people names. Who knows the circumstances of these folks.....loss of job, PTSD, death of a child or partner. You all have yourselves a Merry Christmas :130: Guess it'll be my turn to be bashed now.

You could go down to Cornerstone and hand out free hugs and scarves :up: :up:

I actually carry round a bag of socks in my car to hand out to the people down on their luck. We never know when something *bleep* might happen to us
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

So I work my a** off, I’m self employed, usually 12hr days, no vacations, maybe once or twice a year go camping/fishing with my kids. I have 4, ranging in age from 2 to 16.
I don’t donate to anything or anybody. Remember 4 kids! Way too many freeloaders looking for handouts.
And all those blankets, socks, undies, empties, suitcases... well I clean those up from my commercial buildings weekly.
Let’s not forget the 2 litre bottles or milk jugs used as *bleep* buckets...
Just last week one junkie who sneaks into building was using a small propane bbq in the emergency
exit staircase, indoors putting all my tenants at risk from fire!

Stop feeding and giving handouts to these animals! They do not care about fellow man. Only themselves,...probably that’s what got them to where they are in the first place!
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

t76turbo wrote:So I work my a** off, I’m self employed, usually 12hr days, no vacations, maybe once or twice a year go camping/fishing with my kids. I have 4, ranging in age from 2 to 16.
I don’t donate to anything or anybody. Remember 4 kids! Way too many freeloaders looking for handouts.
And all those blankets, socks, undies, empties, suitcases... well I clean those up from my commercial buildings weekly.
Let’s not forget the 2 litre bottles or milk jugs used as *bleep* buckets...
Just last week one junkie who sneaks into building was using a small propane bbq in the emergency
exit staircase, indoors putting all my tenants at risk from fire!

Stop feeding and giving handouts to these animals! They do not care about fellow man. Only themselves,...probably that’s what got them to where they are in the first place!

:200:
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

i guess the the truth hurts,grapefruit
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

the truth wrote:i guess the the truth hurts,grapefruit

Not at my end .....
Off to buy a dozen timmie doughnuts for folks down on their luck.
Happy Sunday everyone :biggrin:
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

Some panhandlers aren't necessary down on their luck.
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

Fancy wrote:Some panhandlers aren't necessary down on their luck.

indeed...........
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

Fancy wrote:Some panhandlers aren't necessary down on their luck.

That's why I refuse to give to the young healthy looking ones.

When interviewed once upon a time, one of them said he made $300+ a day, which is way more than many earn working, plus he isn't paying tax on it.

I have no issue being charitable, just with being taken advantage of.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Bpeep
Mindquad

Post by Bpeep »

grapefruit wrote:
Not at my end .....
Off to buy a dozen timmie doughnuts for folks down on their luck.
Happy Sunday everyone :biggrin:

If its your intent to help them, why don't you give them something nutritious that's at least considered real food instead of garbage junk.
All you're doing with your gesture is giving yourself a warm fuzzy feeling by fooling yourself into thinking you did good for someone.
Seeking the apartment that is creating leasing interest concerns knowledgeable seclusive morons excessively.

Return to “Social Concerns”