Panhandlers......Be Careful

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Re: Panhandlers......Be Careful

Post by Urban Cowboy »

gardengirl wrote:
Jlabute wrote:I’ve given a few dollars here and there... to two specific homeless. There is one elderly homeless who begs at a Costco street entrance. Looks too old to work. There is also a lady in a wheelchair with missing limbs... my son has given her a few dollars now and then. Not too inclined to give money to the young able bodied beggars.

I figure if that guy can spent literally hours out there every day, he is not that sick. He has quite the collection of props as well. Sometimes it is a walker, other times a wheelchair, then days he is just standing there. Some days he has loaned his props out to another guy who stands there. I have also seen discarded food there, like most who do this, he just wants the cash.
I have had people who live in the area tell me he is not homeless, but lives very close by.

gardengirl wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:
You think only the homeless need help these days? :200:

Try keeping a roof over your head, pay for utilities, buy food, and get medication, on what CPP pays.

You know nothing about me or my financial situation. I DO know what CPP disability pays, it does not cover medical costs like the Provincial disability does. That cheque is coming from Canada Pension which has been paid into for many years. Unlike the ones who are collecting Welfare and asking me for money.

It's time Canada treated its seniors at least as well as it does refugees!

Didn't say I did know anything about your financial situation, nor do I care, so drop the righteous indignation. I was addressing your judgmentalness.

The point was you don't know squat about the old stooped over fellows financial situation either, yet you feel justified in dissing him because you saw a food wrapper and he uses various walking aids.

From his physical appearance there's a good chance he's on disability, and he'd be lucky if that covered his rent let alone anything else.

One doesn't need to be homeless to be destitute, and it's also unfair to automatically assume all panhandlers are drunks or drug addicts as you've basically done.

Maybe he has a friend who holds the spot while he goes for a dump somewhere, or grabs a bite perhaps?

I'd imagine good begging spots aren't that easy to come by so that's a possibility to my thinking, though I don't know at all.
I just looked into his eyes and thought to myself but for the grace of God there go I. That's not what runs through my mind when I see most of the other young pups standing on medians begging.

As in any other instance it's not right to paint everyone with the same brush.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

Bpeep wrote:
grapefruit wrote:
Not at my end .....
Off to buy a dozen timmie doughnuts for folks down on their luck.
Happy Sunday everyone :biggrin:

If its your intent to help them, why don't you give them something nutritious that's at least considered real food instead of garbage junk.
All you're doing with your gesture is giving yourself a warm fuzzy feeling by fooling yourself into thinking you did good for someone.

Good point.....thanks! I'll go and get bananas :130:
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

Then there is the guy who is out on Commerce Ave everyday in a wheelchair with a sign that reads homeless. He is a resident at Hearthstone, so now he has a home but still identifies as homeless. So much for getting his life back on track and reintegrating back into the community. So much progress!
one wheel
Übergod

Post by one wheel »

A Merry Christmas to you grapefruit, your thoughts just get me PO. People give because they care.
If you would read the postings put here you might realise lots of people want to help those that struggle with mental, alcohol & addictions problems ?

What is being done to separate those that want to recover & become independent ? Those are the people that need & should get our help & I've lost faith in that being the case ?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

tantor wrote:Then there is the guy who is out on Commerce Ave everyday in a wheelchair with a sign that reads homeless. He is a resident at Hearthstone, so now he has a home but still identifies as homeless. So much for getting his life back on track and reintegrating back into the community. So much progress!

---exactly---
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Post by Urban Cowboy »

the truth wrote:
tantor wrote:Then there is the guy who is out on Commerce Ave everyday in a wheelchair with a sign that reads homeless. He is a resident at Hearthstone, so now he has a home but still identifies as homeless. So much for getting his life back on track and reintegrating back into the community. So much progress!

---exactly---

I don't believe anyone has suggested that there aren't those in the mix who take advantage of any situation, but then again each and every one of us has the right to make our own choice as to whom we help or opt not to.

Maybe that guy by Costco has addiction issues, I certainly don't know, however I feel much better about giving him a few bucks, than I would some healthy lazy buck standing on the Cooper Rd. median. My choice and decision.
“Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost" - Tolkien
Mark1111
Board Meister

Post by Mark1111 »

grapefruit wrote:

Good point.....thanks! I'll go and get bananas :130:

Have to say I am a bit on the fence about your post. Your enthusiasm and generous spirit is refreshing for sure. I just think some of the panhandlers I see are unworthy of it. I knew a young guy that dated my girlfriend’s bbf for a while back in the day. He told me he could make about 100/day panhandling if he went at it all day. He was a good-looking guy and had a good story ready to go for those that asked. I called him on it and he showed me what he could get in an hour on Bernard. He was telling the truth. This was in 1978 and that’s 100 tax free dollars when a lot of people with jobs did not pull that in before taxes. So I am certainly skeptical about anyone who seems physically capable of work out there panhandling.
So I say if you’re a bit selective with your generosity then go ahead and give till it feels good (or hurts). The world can use a bit more kindness now and then.
If you want to test a man's character, give him power.
A. Lincoln
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

one wheel wrote:A Merry Christmas to you grapefruit, your thoughts just get me PO. People give because they care.
If you would read the postings put here you might realise lots of people want to help those that struggle with mental, alcohol & addictions problems ?

What is being done to separate those that want to recover & become independent ? Those are the people that need & should get our help & I've lost faith in that being the case ?

I understand how my comments might PO people. I also am frustrated with the system, trying to separate criminals from the people in crisis.
I just feel lucky that's all that I'm not out there with just a tarp
Fancy
Insanely Prolific

Post by Fancy »

grapefruit wrote:Off to buy a dozen timmie doughnuts for folks down on their luck.

I understand how my comments might PO people. I also am frustrated with the system, trying to separate criminals from the people in crisis.

It just seems you are being flippant. Did you buy doughnuts for those down on their luck or not?
Truths can be backed up by facts - do you have any?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
grapefruit
Fledgling

Post by grapefruit »

Fancy wrote:
grapefruit wrote:Off to buy a dozen timmie doughnuts for folks down on their luck.

It just seems you are being flippant. Did you buy doughnuts for those down on their luck or not?

I didn't mean to sound flippant. Instead of timmies I bought some granola bars and bananas....will give them out this week. My daughter is a support worker at shelters in the Vancouver Eastside. She said the thing homeless people need most are socks. I'll be giving 100 of them out nearer Christmas. I believe in Karma :130:
dominik
Fledgling

Post by dominik »

Some of the individuals mentioned here, especially the Bernard and Dollarama individuals have been obeserved acting incoherently and are known to have mental health issues. However all that can be done is have them sent for 24 hour observation to KGH.

Lack of resources...
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

until they hurt someone, if they have not already,
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dirtguy
Board Meister

Post by dirtguy »

Should make fentynal way cheaper, and the drug that brings them back way more expensive
WalterWhite
Lord of the Board

Post by WalterWhite »

the truth wrote:until they hurt someone, if they have not already,

Same could be said for just about anyone. In fact, I see those chances being far greater with the number of road-raging-roid-monkeys in this town.
cuba108
Fledgling

Post by cuba108 »

grapefruit wrote:
t76turbo wrote:So I work my a** off, I’m self employed, usually 12hr days, no vacations, maybe once or twice a year go camping/fishing with my kids. I have 4, ranging in age from 2 to 16.
I don’t donate to anything or anybody. Remember 4 kids! Way too many freeloaders looking for handouts.
And all those blankets, socks, undies, empties, suitcases... well I clean those up from my commercial buildings weekly.
Let’s not forget the 2 litre bottles or milk jugs used as *bleep* buckets...
Just last week one junkie who sneaks into building was using a small propane bbq in the emergency
exit staircase, indoors putting all my tenants at risk from fire!

Stop feeding and giving handouts to these animals! They do not care about fellow man. Only themselves,...probably that’s what got them to where they are in the first place!

:200:

Maybe you should have stayed in school and gotten a proper job and thought a bit more about the size of family you wanted. Instead of starting something that makes you work 12 hours a day with nothing left for charity.
If no one has died on the table, you have not done enough surgeries.

Return to “Social Concerns”