Panhandlers......Be Careful

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Panhandlers......Be Careful

Postby whatwhat » Dec 4th, 2018, 5:34 pm

Mark1111 wrote:So I am certainly skeptical about anyone who seems physically capable of work out there panhandling.
So I say if you’re a bit selective with your generosity then go ahead and give till it feels good (or hurts). The world can use a bit more kindness now and then.

How do you decide who is "capable" of working?? Just because someone is a young person doesn't mean they are "capable". People with mental illnesses (schizophrenia, bipolar, PTSD, depression etc) or "invisible" disabilities (brain injuries, chronic pain, autism, lupus, FASD etc) don't have a sign hanging over their neck. Young people, people who "look" capable to work can experience/have disabilities that impact their lives negatively. Age, gender, appearance doesn't matter.
hail Satan y'all

2 people like this post.
whatwhat
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 2064 posts

Postby LTD » Dec 4th, 2018, 5:50 pm

if you can stand there collecting change all day you can stand and flip burgers all day or one of the many unskilled jobs that dont require much power mentally or physically
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3632 posts

Postby 1nick » Dec 4th, 2018, 6:15 pm

They could get a job at a Walmart. Hell, they even let you sit to greet people walking through the door.
I dunno man, pretty sure that guy’s batsh$t crazy

LTD likes this post.
1nick
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1000 posts

Postby normaM » Dec 4th, 2018, 6:38 pm

Hope you realize when you announce the " charity" works you've done
it diminishes. Give food and whatever ( including my NEEDS) to the needy
but why a need to announce it
I know. I gave a man a coffee... heavens gates open
Which is why there are breakfasts and dinners to reward good deeds
But really it isn't a good deed.
You ate the foods, drank the booze
Lip service is all.. dressed up like a good deed but it was only benefits yourself
You can give without taking
Simple concept
Without it
we lost
If onion rings are wrong I don't wanna be right

Bpeep likes this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5416 posts

Postby grapefruit » Dec 4th, 2018, 10:24 pm

normaM wrote:Hope you realize when you announce the " charity" works you've done
it diminishes. Give food and whatever ( including my NEEDS) to the needy
but why a need to announce it
I know. I gave a man a coffee... heavens gates open
Which is why there are breakfasts and dinners to reward good deeds
But really it isn't a good deed.
You ate the foods, drank the booze
Lip service is all.. dressed up like a good deed but it was only benefits yourself
You can give without taking
Simple concept
Without it
we lost

I'm a little confused by your post :135:

2 people like this post.
grapefruit

Liked in: 100 posts

Postby t76turbo » Dec 21st, 2018, 12:32 am

cuba108 wrote:
t76turbo wrote:So I work my a** off, I’m self employed, usually 12hr days, no vacations, maybe once or twice a year go camping/fishing with my kids. I have 4, ranging in age from 2 to 16.
I don’t donate to anything or anybody. Remember 4 kids! Way too many freeloaders looking for handouts.
And all those blankets, socks, undies, empties, suitcases... well I clean those up from my commercial buildings weekly.
Let’s not forget the 2 litre bottles or milk jugs used as *bleep* buckets...
Just last week one junkie who sneaks into building was using a small propane bbq in the emergency
exit staircase, indoors putting all my tenants at risk from fire!

Stop feeding and giving handouts to these animals! They do not care about fellow man. Only themselves,...probably that’s what got them to where they are in the first place!

:200:

Maybe you should have stayed in school and gotten a proper job and thought a bit more about the size of family you wanted. Instead of starting something that makes you work 12 hours a day with nothing left for charity.[/quote][/color]

O wow Cuba108
Tish tosh.
I contribute to our municipal, provincial and federal coffers, plenty!
My local property tax bill last year was over 40 k! I AM edumacated, I CHOOSE to work, well most of the time. I’m also teaching my kids to be self reliable, contributing adults that can take care of themselves and their loved ones, no matter what!
I have pretty much always given a job to anybody that has asked, always!
Also been compassionate and helpful to others, always ready to help with my time and equipment. Voluntarily providing help whenever the need arises. Whether it’s fires, floods or simple neighbourhood snowremoval
I just don’t give money! No way!!!

I work long and hard fo ma money, and am a damn proud father that’s raising my little ones to be kind, hard working adults that will contribute to society instead of becoming leaches that drain our social system. A system that was designed to help those that truely need it and respect it for today and tomorrow. I would have liked to have more than 4, my wife was done!

Hey just today, once again cleaning up after some junkies!
And for those that donate... what looked like a almost new down comforter and a pile of decent looking clothes went into the dumpster! Left laying in the muddy green space at my building.Truely a shame and waste. O, and let’s not forget the empties and the needle!

Wonder if I should start calling the COK or fire department to come dispose of said needle? Or just man-up, as usual, and trash it myself?
Cause we all know they’ll do it for free!
I have a lot of opinions, just ask the wife. Some good, some bad, and others down right ugly!
But then, they are just MY opinions.
t76turbo
Fledgling

Liked in: 365 posts

Postby theharshtruth » Dec 21st, 2018, 6:08 am

t76turbo wrote:So I work my a** off, I’m self employed, usually 12hr days, no vacations, maybe once or twice a year go camping/fishing with my kids. I have 4, ranging in age from 2 to 16.
I don’t donate to anything or anybody. Remember 4 kids! Way too many freeloaders looking for handouts.
And all those blankets, socks, undies, empties, suitcases... well I clean those up from my commercial buildings weekly.
Let’s not forget the 2 litre bottles or milk jugs used as *bleep* buckets...
Just last week one junkie who sneaks into building was using a small propane bbq in the emergency
exit staircase, indoors putting all my tenants at risk from fire!

Stop feeding and giving handouts to these animals! They do not care about fellow man. Only themselves,...probably that’s what got them to where they are in the first place!

Who are you to call them by such a disrespectful term? That is EXACTLY where the problem lies. The entitled thinking only of themselves then blaming the homeless not caring for fellow man. I don't entirely blame them for not caring given how some of you people speak so disgusting of them without a full depth on the situation.
theharshtruth

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 21st, 2018, 7:19 am

theharshtruth wrote:Who are you to call them by such a disrespectful term? That is EXACTLY where the problem lies. The entitled thinking only of themselves then blaming the homeless not caring for fellow man. I don't entirely blame them for not caring given how some of you people speak so disgusting of them without a full depth on the situation.

Entitled? People work hard for what they have only to have it destroyed or taken away. Cleaning up including bodily functions is a problem and that is not just thinking of oneself but of others as well.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat

2 people like this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7558 posts

Postby theharshtruth » Dec 21st, 2018, 7:29 am

Fancy wrote:
theharshtruth wrote:Who are you to call them by such a disrespectful term? That is EXACTLY where the problem lies. The entitled thinking only of themselves then blaming the homeless not caring for fellow man. I don't entirely blame them for not caring given how some of you people speak so disgusting of them without a full depth on the situation.

Entitled? People work hard for what they have only to have it destroyed or taken away. Cleaning up including bodily functions is a problem and that is not just thinking of oneself but of others as well.

If there is such concern for homeless people leaving such bodily functions and destruction maybe supportive housing is the way to go.

Oh wait i completely forgot that is already being setup and also getting negative remarks. Welp can't fix it then since its a double standard. Like i said, Entitled! Don't want the destruction to continue but don't want a resolution implemented. Thinking of only oneself and nothing else.

Time for the people in this city to make a choice. Continue to complain and do nothing to resolve this OR let the housing go up with no complaints or negative backlash. Either way, going to have to suck it up and deal with one of the two.

dominik likes this post.
theharshtruth

Postby dominik » Dec 21st, 2018, 8:20 am

theharshtruth wrote:If there is such concern for homeless people leaving such bodily functions and destruction maybe supportive housing is the way to go.

Oh wait i completely forgot that is already being setup and also getting negative remarks. Welp can't fix it then since its a double standard. Like i said, Entitled! Don't want the destruction to continue but don't want a resolution implemented. Thinking of only oneself and nothing else.

Time for the people in this city to make a choice. Continue to complain and do nothing to resolve this OR let the housing go up with no complaints or negative backlash. Either way, going to have to suck it up and deal with one of the two.

I am sorry that isn't a choice i'd like to give many on this forum anymore as they simply have no understanding of supportive housing or other programs in place to make this work. We'd have to educate them... If they actually listened... and many simply don't want to.

Some because they had bad run ins, others just simply are ignorant, some which are afraid of change, and then there are others who feel the issue is just to complex (and make no mistake it is complex).

At this point we have elected officials, and organizations trying to do something with such substantial pushback from members of the public which also have very little understanding of the situation. While I can understand questioning projects, or wanting to voice concerns so they can be addressed, I simply cannot understand this baseless pure vilivication of all homeless by many here, and honestly I no longer accept it either.

For those arguing: I have worked hard for my money...
CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME to the rest of the 30+ Million Canadians working every day, better yet welcome to the rest of the worlds population. Everyone who wants to pipe up and argue they have had it so hard, just make sure you remember you aren't alone in this country or on this planet. I can guarantee you that there are MANY individuals who are working much much harder than you. Now I am not saying you may not have it hard, but this "oh dear me i have had it so hard" approach is exactly what you tend to fault those who are homeless with...

Maybe you aren't that different from some of those in extreme hardship afterall...

kgcayenne likes this post.
dominik
Fledgling

Liked in: 199 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 21st, 2018, 8:21 am

I think it's wrong wrong in calling those that do what needs to be done "entitled". Not a fair assessment of the average working joe making a living. That's just another judgment without knowing the people.

dominik likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby dominik » Dec 21st, 2018, 8:24 am

Fancy wrote:I think it's wrong wrong in calling those that do what needs to be done "entitled". Not a fair assessment of the average working joe making a living. That's just another judgment without knowing the people.

I think you aren't entirely wrong, calling them entitled is really a way of trying to start an argument with the outcome = 0.

That being said we do have many showing the attitude without thinking one step further, as presented in some of the comments on this forum.

The important thing to realize though it requires the entire community to do the work and understand this isn't a "let others fix it" scenario... Community Involvement by being a part of the community not just by means of financial resources.

theharshtruth likes this post.
dominik
Fledgling

Liked in: 199 posts

Postby Fancy » Dec 21st, 2018, 8:27 am

This thread is starting to sound like others when the point was being careful on who to give donations to. I certainly won't give money to someone who talks a sob story just to get money for alcohol or drugs.

Lore likes this post.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby theharshtruth » Dec 21st, 2018, 8:59 am

dominik wrote:
theharshtruth wrote:If there is such concern for homeless people leaving such bodily functions and destruction maybe supportive housing is the way to go.

I am sorry that isn't a choice i'd like to give many on this forum anymore as they simply have no understanding of supportive housing or other programs in place to make this work. We'd have to educate them... If they actually listened... and many simply don't want to.

Some because they had bad run ins, others just simply are ignorant, some which are afraid of change, and then there are others who feel the issue is just to complex (and make no mistake it is complex).

At this point we have elected officials, and organizations trying to do something with such substantial pushback from members of the public which also have very little understanding of the situation. While I can understand questioning projects, or wanting to voice concerns so they can be addressed, I simply cannot understand this baseless pure vilivication of all homeless by many here, and honestly I no longer accept it either.

For those arguing: I have worked hard for my money...
CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME to the rest of the 30+ Million Canadians working every day, better yet welcome to the rest of the worlds population. Everyone who wants to pipe up and argue they have had it so hard, just make sure you remember you aren't alone in this country or on this planet. I can guarantee you that there are MANY individuals who are working much much harder than you. Now I am not saying you may not have it hard, but this "oh dear me i have had it so hard" approach is exactly what you tend to fault those who are homeless with...

Maybe you aren't that different from some of those in extreme hardship afterall...

I don't wish to accept it either. You have a fair point my friend. There is an obviously lack of understanding and no drive to understand. I have been under bad run ins myself but at the same time there are those who are wanting to work, who actually try, who have had misfortune in their life (yes there are people out there who do exist) which turned to such bad habits since being out on the streets. Sitting here debating the situation isn't going anywhere though, we have to support the housing projects and be appreciative that something / somebody is trying to resolve it. For the increased safety i'd rather have a housing project setup, regardless where it is. Better in a somewhat controlled environment than nothing being done about it. :130:
theharshtruth

Postby Fancy » Dec 21st, 2018, 9:01 am

Do you think those that are panhandling are going to stop even if they get into housing?
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns