Lens & Shutter - Bankrupt??

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Lens & Shutter - Bankrupt??

Postby kgcayenne » Dec 4th, 2018, 12:24 pm

GordonH wrote:Not buying at locally owned and operated is biggest reason why there are all of those big box stores.
Must find the cheapest price no matter the cost down the road.

For consumer goods, yes it's all about the lowest common denominator on the disposable stuff, but when you are buying equipment that adds up to the cost of a car, then you don't want to have to be dealing with an American warranty or grey market.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4659 posts

Postby WalterWhite » Dec 4th, 2018, 12:31 pm

alanjh595 wrote:Selling something that does not belong to them, sounds like a criminal matter.

It’s called consignment. Nothing criminal.

2 people like this post.
WalterWhite

Liked in: 5564 posts

Postby twofingers » Dec 4th, 2018, 12:36 pm

I try hard to support local, but sometimes the lack of managerial-provided direction to the staff makes it challenging. Last week, I tried to make a fairly significant purchase from a well-known independent local merchant. Two staff members off to the side discussing something with a clipboard in front of them. One of them held up one finger, meaning (I guess) that they would be with me shortly. Checked my watch and, after eight more minutes of standing at the till, quietly left. Nobody followed me out. Ordered on Wayfair. $660 +. It will arrive in a week or so.

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
twofingers
Board Meister

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Dec 4th, 2018, 12:48 pm

It's frustrating. We should not have to 'try hard' to support local.

We should not have to buy from out of town let alone out of country.

I eye up the classifieds all the time and find that the more prosumer equipment being sold used was bought at places like Broadway Camera or Kerrisdale Cameras in the lower mainland. Kelowna is just too small for the big-ticket stuff and Vancouver is that convenient, I guess. Of course there's London Drugs, but they have very little inventory here... well... because this is Kelowna.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Postby WalterWhite » Dec 4th, 2018, 12:52 pm

kgcayenne wrote:It's frustrating. We should not have to 'try hard' to support local.

We should not have to buy from out of town let alone out of country.

I eye up the classifieds all the time and find that the more prosumer equipment being sold used was bought at places like Broadway Camera or Kerrisdale Cameras in the lower mainland. Kelowna is just too small for the big-ticket stuff and Vancouver is that convenient, I guess. Of course there's London Drugs, but they have very little inventory here... well... because this is Kelowna.

Just an FYI, but London Drugs locally will match BC Camera's pricing. BC Camera also has great next day delivery here. London Drugs is also very good (and fast in my experiences) at bringing in non-stocked items and also matching those with BC Camera's prices. In the few times I visited Lens & Shutter I never found comparable pricing on any of their stock, which also seemed very minimal.
WalterWhite

Postby kgcayenne » Dec 4th, 2018, 1:20 pm

I had success wit L&S for small, consumer items, but once I needed bigger things, it was another story. I became hopeful when I noticed they had a couple of ‘trinity’ lenses available for rent.

lesliepaul likes this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Postby lesliepaul » Dec 4th, 2018, 1:27 pm

The writing was on the wall for this store...……..truly a shame what has happened to camera shops over the last 10 years. Always enjoyed going into these shops and checking out the used equipment and finding the "gem" of a lens or camera body for a great price.

With digital we get a world of obsolete camera's in the matter of a year. Go back to the many years of film and you will see a camera from any of the brands that stood the test of time...…...the Nikon F3...….same camera produced for 21 years with very few changes, the Nikon F5 and F6, over 15 years...…….just to name a few. You had a problem with your camera, there were shops that would fix the issue...…...today, throw it away.

Pride in photography was with film, today EVERYBODY is a photographer with digital and camera's in every phone with most taking some amazing pictures. Every professional photographer today photoshops the :cuss: out of every picture they take and brag...…."I'm great." Wedding pictures...…...photographer pretty much holds the shutter open for the event then wants their clients to go over 3000 to 5000 pictures and pick the best. Film, 200 to 300 to go over.

YES, photography has changed and I have also joined the digital world but I will tell you the satisfaction of waiting for your film to be developed and getting ONE amazing picture out of a film roll of 36 WAS fun...……...a bunch of bad shots made you a better photographer with the next roll.

Hopefully Kelowna can attract another camera store with enthusiastic employees that take pride in the art of photography.
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1288 posts

Postby WalterWhite » Dec 4th, 2018, 1:35 pm

kgcayenne wrote:I had success wit L&S for small, consumer items, but once I needed bigger things, it was another story. I became hopeful when I noticed they had a couple of ‘trinity’ lenses available for rent.

A few rental opportunities:
Haven't used these guys:
https://camerarentalsvancouver.com/prod ... ry/lenses/
https://www.lenslenders.ca/

I've used Canon CPS - their rentals are excellent - requires being a member.

Used Lens Rentals Canada a few years ago, however major theft shut them down.
WalterWhite

Postby NotNorthAnymore » Dec 4th, 2018, 2:20 pm

Just found out about this company in Kelowna the other day.
Don't know anything about them beyond the webpage and a few comments on FB.
They do film...
https://notdeaddarkroom.com/about-us/
"THEY" are watching you! -- "THEY" know who you are! -- "THEY" know where you are!
Always use heavy duty BBQ tinfoil under your Black Hat - That way "THEY" can't read your 'mind'.
NotNorthAnymore
Board Meister

Liked in: 331 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Dec 4th, 2018, 2:29 pm

lesliepaul wrote:The writing was on the wall for this store...……..truly a shame what has happened to camera shops over the last 10 years. Always enjoyed going into these shops and checking out the used equipment and finding the "gem" of a lens or camera body for a great price.

With digital we get a world of obsolete camera's in the matter of a year. Go back to the many years of film and you will see a camera from any of the brands that stood the test of time...…...the Nikon F3...….same camera produced for 21 years with very few changes, the Nikon F5 and F6, over 15 years...…….just to name a few. You had a problem with your camera, there were shops that would fix the issue...…...today, throw it away.

Pride in photography was with film, today EVERYBODY is a photographer with digital and camera's in every phone with most taking some amazing pictures. Every professional photographer today photoshops the :cuss: out of every picture they take and brag...…."I'm great." Wedding pictures...…...photographer pretty much holds the shutter open for the event then wants their clients to go over 3000 to 5000 pictures and pick the best. Film, 200 to 300 to go over.

YES, photography has changed and I have also joined the digital world but I will tell you the satisfaction of waiting for your film to be developed and getting ONE amazing picture out of a film roll of 36 WAS fun...……...a bunch of bad shots made you a better photographer with the next roll.

Hopefully Kelowna can attract another camera store with enthusiastic employees that take pride in the art of photography.

It would be great to see another camera store here. You had me chuckling with "...photoshop the :cuss: out of every picture..." For every one of those, there are three "I only shoot natural light JPEG" people. Post processing is part of the craft, indeed, I can't imagine employing the 'Spray and Pray' method and having to cull through thousands of images.

If Henry's bought the L&S domain for web redirect, is Kelowna a sustainable location for a shop? The Camera Store would be cool, but unlikely. In Calgary they do a Beers & Cameras night and Coffee & Cameras event in various locations and they have a decent turnout. I know there is the Central Okanagan Photographic Society that meets most weeks, but I'm a solid 30-35 minute drive from the venue and don't want to be one of those people who signs up without showing up.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Postby kgcayenne » Dec 4th, 2018, 2:31 pm

NotNorthAnymore wrote:Just found out about this company in Kelowna the other day.
Don't know anything about them beyond the webpage and a few comments on FB.
They do film...
https://notdeaddarkroom.com/about-us/

OH how COOL (eyes up the several vintage film bodies on display in the shelf).
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Postby alanjh595 » Dec 4th, 2018, 3:45 pm

Digital photography has destroyed the old "old fashioned" SLR to film cameras.

I know, I am one of those old SLR photographers........

Imagine, how many pics that were shot by accident, had to pay for and wait for your film to be developed and printed?
Now, just point and shoot, auto focus, smile capture, and face swapping. If you don't like the result, delete and try again.

The future of "hard copy" photo printing, will be only available via internet.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4857 posts

Postby Symbonite » Dec 4th, 2018, 5:05 pm

Ebay Amazon and Cell phones killed the picture hobby.

To tell the truth I thought they shut down a long time ago because they were next to the old future shop and then all of a sudden a baby store. they were still in Kelowna all this time?
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 991 posts

Postby lensbaby » Dec 4th, 2018, 5:41 pm

kgcayenne wrote:Too bad you didn't know about the bankruptcy in October, or you'd have been able to put in a claim.

http://crowemackay.ca/wp-content/upload ... hutter.pdf

https://crowemackay.ca/services/lens-sh ... meras-ltd/

It was sold after that bankruptcy to Harv King and his wife.
They may not have declared bankruptcy this time in which case a small claims action for loss of consigned items would still be possible.
lensbaby
Fledgling

Liked in: 129 posts

Postby mattinkelowna » Dec 4th, 2018, 6:37 pm

On their website (Henry's).. they list a location in Vancouver and one in Victoria. On Facebook it looks like the Victoria one opened yesterday. My guess is that Kelowna didn't make the cut.

About Lens and Shutter Bankruptcy in 2013... wasn't it at the same time they moved from their location on Highway 97 to the one on Bernard?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mattinkelowna
Fledgling

Liked in: 179 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns