Labour via prisons

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Labour via prisons

Postby Queen K » Dec 17th, 2018, 11:34 pm

It's a growing problem world wide, labour for for profit, in prisons

It's in the USA, and its in China

Here's a fox news report

https://www.foxnews.com/world/us-sports ... ment-camps
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15241 posts

Re: Labour via prisons

Postby LTD » Dec 17th, 2018, 11:44 pm

I dont have a problem with prisoners forced to work :up:
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3727 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Dec 18th, 2018, 5:49 am

When you buy a shirt at your grocery store or other big box $7, when the owner of ChinaMart is worth 150+Billion, you know we have an appetite for cheap *bleep* regardless of how it came about. In fact the only time there's some public outrage is when it's made public and even then it's false outrage for most.
It's at a point now even the well intention fat wallet guy would find it impossible to spend it on goods where you felt it was manufactured in some similar standard we're accustomed to or find acceptable in some way.
jimmy4321
Guru

Liked in: 2325 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Dec 18th, 2018, 8:12 am

LTD wrote:I dont have a problem with prisoners forced to work :up:

I'd like to see the non violent ones in low security facilities pick up garbage on side of roads and illegal dump sites.
jimmy4321
Guru

Postby Grandan » Dec 18th, 2018, 8:27 am

jimmy4321 wrote:
I'd like to see the non violent ones in low security facilities pick up garbage on side of roads and illegal dump sites.

Yesterday I picked up a grocery bag full of garbage dumped along the road in front of my property. There were two large cups from Tim's along with cigarette packages, lunch containers and the like. And that is just a weeks worth. How would it be if the "better" people in our society were to stop throwing garbage out their windows as they drive by? That way there would be no need for anyone to pick up garbage along the roadsides.
Waste not

gman313 likes this post.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 982 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Dec 18th, 2018, 8:51 am

Side of highways, back road dump sites, just litter in general in commercial areas or along tracks etc, most people don't have the will or time in their lives to make it a part time hobby to hit those areas. It's great you pick up what you see :up:

Litter is like graffiti, leaving it there just attracts more and more.
jimmy4321
Guru

Postby my5cents » Dec 18th, 2018, 10:39 am

If we are talking about China, nothing they do should surprise anyone.

How about the "great" country just South of us ?

They have private prisons. It's a well known fact that these private companies induce courts (ie, judges) to imprison people. These private companies then, just like China, pay their inmates (pennies, [you remember them ?]) to maintain the facility. Thus saving money, and increasing the profit for the private company.

Then there is a whole other topic of pre-trial custody in the great US of A. They aren't paid to work they just sit doing nothing. After a few, or more months, even innocent prisoners, who can't afford bail to get out while awaiting a trial, (and obviously also can't afford a good lawyer) are given the option of getting out of jail with time served if they plead guilty. Sadly many innocent do.

The red necks among us forget, don't realize, or don't care that people are sent to prison "as punishment", not "for punishment".

As for conducting work while in custody, how would you like it if your job was to pick up trash along the highway for a highway maintenance company and you are terminated because prisoners are doing it for free ?

While in prison, education, counseling, job training. If you want to see an example of how to do it correctly just look at the Scandinavian countries, if you want an example of how not to do it, look at the US or in fact our system.

BUT such changes would require direction from a competent government. Seen one of those lately ?

I'm going to go back to bed, I just used "competent" and "government" in the same sentence.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

t76turbo likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1628 posts

Postby LTD » Dec 18th, 2018, 11:01 am

well considering its usually city employees making a very good wage picking up garbage along roads I have no problem whatsoever with prisoners doing it, it will free up some tax dollars for other things and force some lazy employees to better themselves to retain employment.

t76turbo likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3727 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Dec 18th, 2018, 2:02 pm

With the Civil War and the abolishment of slavery, prison workers is
the back-door result of the same thing.
Just look at the demographics of the American prison populace.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3743 posts

Return to Social Concerns