Patreon Crosses the Line & Sam Harris Deletes his Account

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Patreon Crosses the Line & Sam Harris Deletes his Account

Postby Glacier » Dec 18th, 2018, 3:19 pm

Patreon went on a banning spree toward people they consider too far to the right including the like of Sargon of Akkad (and centre-left YouTuber), and Sam Harris, who is also on the centre-left and one of the top people on Patreon (he's even more popular than Jordan Peterson), deleted his account.

Everyone to the right of the far left is leaving in droves.

“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12003 posts

Re: Patreon Crosses the Line & Sam Harris Deletes his Accoun

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 18th, 2018, 10:34 pm

Saying Sargon of Akkad is center left is laughable. He can call himself that all he wants, but he’s as alt right as they come

Here’s a link to Patreon’s terms of service:

https://www.patreon.com/legal

I don’t know about Sam Harris, but Sargon definitely violated these two:

Abuse - Don’t harass or bully others, or promote violence or hatred towards others.

Fraud - Don’t post information that is false or otherwise misleading.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4655 posts

Postby Ka-El » Dec 19th, 2018, 8:49 am

Omnitheo wrote: Fraud - Don’t post information that is false or otherwise misleading.

The modus operandi of the alt-right, the creators of “fake news”
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6238 posts

Postby Glacier » Dec 19th, 2018, 9:29 am

Everyone posts incorrect information from time to time. That's not fraud unless it was done intentionally. He was NOT banned for doing that. He was banned for calling Nazis a very bad word on someone else's show. I can see what Lauren Southern and Milo were banned, but the banning of Sargon and Robert Spencer was complete B.S. and baseless since neither broke the rules.

As for Sargon being centre left, one's position on the political map is somewhat subjective, but that's where he falls on the chart when he does those political questionnaires.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 19th, 2018, 11:58 am

Sargon has been deplatformed numerous times for breaking rules. He has encouraged harassment of others, and the majority of his videos are simply that. Harassment.
"The Charter of Rights and Freedoms protects all Canadians, every one of us, even when it is uncomfortable."
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 19th, 2018, 12:09 pm

Pro tip:
If your business model is to dehumanize and bully entire denominations of people, using a platform that strictly prohibits such - you probably won’t be in business for long.
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Postby Glacier » Dec 19th, 2018, 12:20 pm

Omnitheo wrote:Pro tip:
If your business model is to dehumanize and bully entire denominations of people, using a platform that strictly prohibits such - you probably won’t be in business for long.

I agree that he got banned for dehumanizing and bullying Nazis, but he should have been given at least a warning or a temporary suspension and told that he needs to be nicer to Nazis in the future or he would be given a permanent boot.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 19th, 2018, 2:58 pm

Glacier wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:Pro tip:

I agree that he got banned for dehumanizing and bullying Nazis, but he should have been given at least a warning or a temporary suspension and told that he needs to be nicer to Nazis in the future or he would be given a permanent boot.

oh don't play dumb. I've heard enough of his videos to know better. I'm talking about immigration, minorities, people with disabilities.

He does a pretty poor job of dehumanizing nazis when he does so much to attract them to his fanbase.

- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Postby Glacier » Dec 19th, 2018, 3:13 pm

Omnitheo wrote:oh don't play dumb. I've heard enough of his videos to know better. I'm talking about immigration, minorities, people with disabilities.

He does a pretty poor job of dehumanizing nazis when he does so much to attract them to his fanbase.

I'll watch later... he was banned for calling Nazis the "n-word", as in "they are just white n____". He was trying to issue a stinging insult, and he got banned for it. A poor choice of words to be sure.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Postby Omnitheo » Dec 19th, 2018, 8:37 pm

Glacier wrote:
Omnitheo wrote:oh don't play dumb. I've heard enough of his videos to know better. I'm talking about immigration, minorities, people with disabilities.

I'll watch later... he was banned for calling Nazis the "n-word", as in "they are just white n____". He was trying to issue a stinging insult, and he got banned for it. A poor choice of words to be sure.

Uh...do you not see what that’s implying? That is essentially the same as calling African Americans nazis. His videos are so laden with such thinly veiled racism it’s no surprise he’s so appealing to the alt right.

I get that he dislikes non-white people (his anti BLM and pro-brexit videos are quite evident of this.) but there’s a pretty big difference between not wanting your family members gunned down in the street for no reason, wanting the police who’s job it is to protect you to actually do such rather than shooting and murdering innocent children...and calling for the internment and extermination of all races except your own.

So this goes back to those Patreon terms and conditions I posted earlier. This is a pretty clear violation of such.
- Justin Trudeau
Omnitheo
Guru

Return to Social Concerns