Adults Only

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Adults Only

Postby Fancy » Jan 3rd, 2019, 1:55 pm

What furniture?
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 7755 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jan 3rd, 2019, 2:26 pm

The whole place is too sterile for me. Not a big fan of glare.

Kids? Meh. It's usually adults that cause the problems. Banning kids will however mean that their idiot parents won't go either.

So in that case, it's a win.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4502 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jan 3rd, 2019, 2:27 pm

looking at the mirror on the wall opposite the bed; yeah, that's what I want to see first thing in the morning as I dust the sleep off my face; my face.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4502 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 3rd, 2019, 3:22 pm

This makes me want to go back.
No one has seemed to comment how they also mention they are getting rid of weddings, and wedding parties.

This should eleviate the drunken bachelorette parties which would be the worst thing to encounter on a nice romantic weekend getaway.

Back to the banning of kids. I'd like to see this brought back to other establishments.
Friday after work a few weeks ago I went to a local Penticton watering hole for a few beers. I had to stand and drink my drinks as many tables were full up of kids playing board games ...
If i cant go into your play place at McDonalds, stay out of my play area at the brewery !
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 816 posts

Postby pieinthei » Jan 3rd, 2019, 4:10 pm

yeah, they used to have adult only restaurants.. they were called pubs.. maybe adults should all go to chucky cheeses (did i spell that right?) and be annoying hooligans there.. hahaha

soupy likes this post.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 875 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 3rd, 2019, 5:01 pm

Children have caused the the need for age restricted housing complexes. Like mine, they are restricted to 55+ years old and even the pool access hours are severely restricted for those under 20.
Even the 20 year olds must be accompanied by a responsible owner/resident.
I wouldn't have it any other way.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

soupy likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4857 posts

Postby shoo » Jan 3rd, 2019, 5:23 pm

I’ve stayed at Sparkling hills 7 or 8 times and not once have I even seen a child other than a newborn once. So, it wouldn’t entice me to go more often, but if I could go to the mall during an adult only event, I’d be there in a flash.

soupy likes this post.
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 41 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Jan 3rd, 2019, 6:07 pm

kgcayenne wrote:I would prefer restaurants prohibit groups greater than 4.

:135:

Not every family is two parents/two kids - I happen to know of a couple of families that are comprised of two parents/eight kids, and one with 11 kids. Some of those kids are grown and on their own, but something like this would inhibit having dinner out with family.

If we go out with our friends, that's 8 people (of which 6 are adults and only two of the kids are under-age).

I don't mind a restaurant (or spa) that is child-free. It is nice to get away from the younger set.

As for the breakfast at Sparkling Hill - it has definitely gone downhill in recent years. I've been a few times in the past few years. The first time the food was simply amazing. The bacon was not really bacon but thick cut slow cooked and caramelized heaven. I've never had it again that way. The last time I went the food was somewhat disappointing.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4668 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Jan 3rd, 2019, 6:38 pm

We stopped going out because the places we like to go are places where the whole experience is ruined if a large group shows up. I’m hearing impaired, and if a large group is dominant in the environment, I cannot hear who I’m with unless they shout above the group. I gave up. Completely.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

2 people like this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4659 posts

Postby RustyCrayon » Jan 3rd, 2019, 6:50 pm

I've never been to Sparkling Hill, but their new policy would encourage me to go.

I wish there were more places that offered adults only, as well as no wedding party or large party times. I dislike dining out these days because restaurants can be incredibly noisy. Many romantic dinners/special occasions have been ruined by groups of loud people at an adjacent table, or poorly behaved children and their indifferent parents. Seems to be getting worse too.

4 people like this post.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Liked in: 549 posts

Postby Loki2u » Jan 4th, 2019, 12:53 am

Wow, I thought I would be in the minority when posting about my dislike for kids at certain venues, but I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one! :130:

I don't really like kids all that much in any setting which is why I never chose to have my own....and I do seek out places to eat/stay/visit that aren't all that kid friendly. There are some nice all inclusives in Mexico that do this as well and that's where we always go.

My girl and I stay at Sparkling Hill once or twice a year to relax and I've never really had a problem with kids there which is awesome- but once there were some drunken wedding guests so I assume that will get better also. We tend to go to Halcyon Hot springs a couple times a year as well in the off seasons when school is in and find there are less kids there as well.

I do like my nieces however, where I get to return them to my brother after a couple of hours :biggrin:
You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant. -Harlan Ellison-

3 people like this post.
Loki2u
Board Meister

Liked in: 454 posts

Postby normaM » Jan 4th, 2019, 7:11 am

I have wondered why parents who are dining at an more expensive place don't hire a sitter and enjoy a meal with just the two of them instead of dealing with meltdowns
I tend to prefer kids conversations than extra loud Adults.
And we weren't all bad as kids, I loved if the parent unit would take me out to a restaurant. It was a big deal and my Daddy would get me a Shirley Temple, extra cherries.
Lots of kidlet friendly places around to take the wee ones
Button button.. where are those cheap buttons?

4 people like this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6511 posts

Postby shoo » Jan 4th, 2019, 8:21 am

Loki2u wrote:Wow, I thought I would be in the minority when posting about my dislike for kids at certain venues, but I'm relieved to see I'm not the only one! :130:

I don't really like kids all that much in any setting which is why I never chose to have my own....and I do seek out places to eat/stay/visit that aren't all that kid friendly. There are some nice all inclusives in Mexico that do this as well and that's where we always go.

My girl and I stay at Sparkling Hill once or twice a year to relax and I've never really had a problem with kids there which is awesome- but once there were some drunken wedding guests so I assume that will get better also. We tend to go to Halcyon Hot springs a couple times a year as well in the off seasons when school is in and find there are less kids there as well.

I do like my nieces however, where I get to return them to my brother after a couple of hours :biggrin:

We had a weekend getaway to Halcyon almost ruined by unruly kids and their indifferent caregivers. The last few years we’ve been going up to stay at the Harrison ...much nicer. There is an adult only hot pool that is strictly enforced and the late seating at dinner is adults only as well.

2 people like this post.
shoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 41 posts

Postby FairlyKnew » Jan 4th, 2019, 9:17 am

Why is it that kids don't just cry anymore? They all seem to scream or shriek at the top of their lungs for extended periods of time. Plane rides can be excruciating. It seems like parents don't even notice anymore. It ruins plane rides, dinners out, shopping, etc. My children were always removed from the situation if they became a problem, but even so, they never screamed like the kids do now.

holdin likes this post.
FairlyKnew

Liked in: 152 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 4th, 2019, 9:24 am

I really like the idea of getting rid of wedding parties.

A few years back I was at a very nice (and expensive) hotel in Victoria during vacation.
The room we had also could adjoin the room next door where other guests were staying. The old double locked door seperating the 2 hotel rooms.
Well, cue 6:00am and at least 6-8 woman having mimosas playing music getting ready for the big day. Guests oblivious to the noise they are creating and fully booked hotel that couldn't change rooms for us.

End rant
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 816 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns