Anti-Racism

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Anti-Racism

Postby Ka-El » Jan 13th, 2019, 7:43 am

Racism impacts people’s pride and participation in their community, as well as their overall sense of safety, health, security and happiness. We are all members of different and overlapping communities, so it is everyone’s responsibility to be involved in ending racism.

What is racism?

Racism is a set of mistaken assumptions, opinions and actions resulting from the belief that one group of people categorized by colour or ancestry is inherently superior to another. Racism may be present in organizational and institutional policies, programs and practices, as well as in the attitudes and behaviour of individuals.

How do stereotypes perpetuate racism and discrimination?

People often use stereotypes that generalize a person or a group of people based on their ethnicity, religion, ancestry, culture, physical, developmental or mental attributes, gender or sexual orientation. These stereotypes can lead to prejudice and bias, which can become motivations for discrimination.

How does racism affect victims of racism?

All racism is hurtful. People who are victims of racial discrimination can often feel excluded, lonely, angry, and sad. It may make them so uncomfortable that they feel alienated and will not participate in their communities.

Witnessing racism

If you witness racism such as a racist remark or racist joke it is important to speak up. Let the person know that such remarks or jokes are offensive.

What is a hate crime?

In Canada, a hate crime is defined as any criminal offense against a person, group or property that is motivated by hatred or prejudice towards an identifiable group. The following are the identifiable groups outlined in the Criminal Code of Canada:
• Race
• Colour
• Ethnicity
• Language
• Religion
• Sex or Sexual Orientation

How does the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms protect people from racism and hate crime?

It is illegal to advocate genocide, publicly incite hatred or wilfully promote hatred based on national or ethnic origin, race, religion, skin colour and sexual orientation. Depending on the situation, the use of racist slurs may not be illegal under the Criminal Code of Canada. However, the person using them may subject themselves to an investigation under federal human rights legislation. The use of such terms is not tolerated in Canadian society.

What else can I do to help prevent racism?

We all have the ability to prevent racism and create positive change in our communities. Racism comes in many forms. And so do the ways to address it. Here are some things you can do to address racism:
• Recognize the important role that you play in your neighborhood, your school, your workplace and your community and understand that your actions can prevent racism and create positive change.
• Don’t use stereotypes.
• Welcome and interact with people in your community. You may find that generalizations about different groups of people are not accurate once you get to know them.
• When you see an act of racism, challenge the behaviour but not the person. Encourage thoughtful dialogue to address the issue.
• Celebrate what makes us unique as British Columbians and as Canadians: our multiculturalism.

Anti-Racism

• B.C.’s multiculturalism policy states that violence, hatred and discrimination on the basis of racial identity have no place in our society. The province's anti-racism program empowers communities and organizations to maintain partnerships and develop projects to promote multiculturalism, address racism and build inclusive communities.
• Anti-racism is the practice of identifying, challenging, preventing, eliminating and changing the values, structures, policies, programs, practices and behaviours that perpetuate racism.
• Many people think racism is not a problem in multicultural Canada, but racism still exists in many places, including British Columbia. Racism can take many forms and is often implicit in our attitudes, behaviors, beliefs and values.
• It is up to all of us to take a collaborative community approach to challenge and prevent racism and hate crime.

The good news is that racism is learned, and anything that is learned can be unlearned …

http://unlearnracism.ca/
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” — Charles Darwin

2 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6043 posts

Re: Anti-Racism

Postby W105 » Jan 13th, 2019, 10:28 am

interesting timing on this thread...yesterday my husband received a call for a quote for a heating/AC system...the guy had a very thick German accent...so he says sure, what are you looking spend so I have a rough idea what I can get you...and he says, "oh, I really don't care about the cost as long as it's fair, BUT I have only one question " and my hubby says "yes, what is it" ?? and he says "are you Jewish because if you are I don't want to do business with you nor have you step one foot into my home"...and my husband says, "you're joking right ??" and he says "nope I am dead serious"...so my husband says "well I'm not Jewish, but I would never ever do business with a person like you, so see ya" and hangs up..

about 10 min later the guy calls back and says "let me explain..blah, blah" and my husband says "you have nothing to explain, you are a racist prick and I don't do business with racist pricks, and by the way, I got your name and # so I will be sure to spread it around with other guys that work in the same business (and my hubby knows many of them) and I'm gonna let the suppliers I use know your name and #"..and hangs up..

he has seen and heard a lot of wild stuff in all his yrs of his line of work but this one was first...

6 people like this post.
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3803 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jan 13th, 2019, 10:46 am

Good on your husband W105. All good people need to be ready to speak out against the offensiveness and ugliness of racism, no matter what excuse some people have for trying to justify their hatred and/or hatred. The fight against racism begins with education and knowledge, and I’m always surprised (as well as disappointed and disgusted) by it’s continued prevalence in these supposedly modern times.
“It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent; it is the one most adaptable to change.” — Charles Darwin

2 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Postby Mordu » Jan 13th, 2019, 11:12 am

W105,

http://forums.castanet.net/viewforum.php?f=98

Maybe something creative for us.
Mordu
Board Meister

Liked in: 192 posts

Postby W105 » Jan 13th, 2019, 11:26 am

hey Mordu..if you mean posting the racist nazi's name in that thread than nope ...but Kelowna is still a fairly small city and word of mouth spreads fast :)

but that's how to get rid of racism nowadays, just don't tolerate it..gotta say this old guy sure had nads to openly ask like that...but it is his home and his beliefs and apparently he proudly likes to tell the world...guess in his golden yrs he wants to live in a very small world...

Mordu likes this post.
W105
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3803 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 13th, 2019, 12:57 pm

Every one is a racist at some point ...

But the biggest racists are the one who speak the most about racism ...

Get over race and move on ..Be good neighbours to your neighbours ..

Problem solved .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

KiloHotel likes this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4613 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 13th, 2019, 3:03 pm

^^^^^^ Agreed^^^
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

2 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3582 posts

Postby Mordu » Jan 13th, 2019, 4:35 pm

MAPearce wrote:Every one is a racist at some point ...

Problem solved .

"Snerk." (Remember our special greeting)

Lines three and four in you post are good advice.

But lines one and two (incomplete) are bull *bleep*. Unless, of course, you can finish them off by citing some proof.
Mordu
Board Meister

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 13th, 2019, 5:48 pm

I'll weigh in here..A race that feels oppressed becomes racist toward
those they deem to be their oppressors. real or perceived.

Not to put words to MAPearce, my own answer to cover his first
two lines, his may differ.

As noted, I'm in full agreement to all four lines...
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"

2 people like this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3582 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jan 13th, 2019, 6:00 pm

Almost everyone has probably participated in some form of racism at some point ...

But the biggest racists are the cowards too scared to take a hard and critical look at their own thinking and behavior, and instead, expend whatever intellect they have in making excuses for, deflecting from or rationalizing their continued racist thinking and behavior (“I’m not racist, you’re a racist” comes to mind). The problem wouldn’t be automatically solved by getting some of these folk to begin challenging their generalized assumptions, but it would be a good start.

3 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Postby Hurtlander » Jan 13th, 2019, 9:14 pm

Ka-El wrote:Almost everyone has probably participated in some form of racism at some point ...

But the biggest racists are the cowards too scared to take a hard and critical look at their own thinking and behavior, and instead, expend whatever intellect they have in making excuses for, deflecting from or rationalizing their continued racist thinking and behavior (“I’m not racist, you’re a racist” comes to mind). The problem wouldn’t be automatically solved by getting some of these folk to begin challenging their generalized assumptions, but it would be a good start.

Ain’t that the truth..
Hurtlander
Guru

Liked in: 4808 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 13th, 2019, 9:38 pm

dirtybiker wrote:I'll weigh in here..A race that feels oppressed becomes racist toward
those they deem to be their oppressors. real or perceived.

Not to put words to MAPearce, my own answer to cover his first
two lines, his may differ.

As noted, I'm in full agreement to all four lines...

Took the words right outta my mouth db...

Racism has been the go to excuse since Johnny Cochrane at the OJ Simpson trial and before ..

It's just . that . easy .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby MAPearce » Jan 13th, 2019, 9:44 pm

Mordu wrote:
MAPearce wrote:Every one is a racist at some point ...

Problem solved .

"Snerk." (Remember our special greeting)

Lines three and four in you post are good advice.

But lines one and two (incomplete) are bull *bleep*. Unless, of course, you can finish them off by citing some proof.

I could indeed .. But that would be racist...

I'm white , never mind being male AND a christian . I'm not allowed to be discriminated against , it's called pay back or something ...
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Mordu » Jan 14th, 2019, 7:21 am

You forgot to . . .

"Snerk" (Remember our special greeting?)

"Pay back?"

MAPearce wrote:Ha , ha !!

Made you look !!!

http://forums.castanet.net/viewtopic.php?f=84&t=8057.

"Problem solved."
Mordu
Board Meister

Postby Smurf » Jan 14th, 2019, 8:18 am

I have a question I would like answered.

Are we racist when we go after countries/races about their human rights etc. When we try to tell them how to run their countries and lives, against, say, their religious beliefs. We believe we are right. They believe just as strongly they are right. Who is actually right.

I'm not saying who is right or wrong only asking if we are being self righteous.
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.

2 people like this post.
Smurf
Guru

Liked in: 6400 posts

Next

Return to Social Concerns