Anti-Racism

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Hurtlander
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Anti-Racism

Post by Hurtlander »

Smurf wrote:I have a question I would like answered.

Are we racist when we go after countries/races about their human rights etc. When we try to tell them how to run their countries and lives, against, say, their religious beliefs. We believe we are right. They believe just as strongly they are right. Who is actually right.

I'm not saying who is right or wrong only asking if we are being self righteous.

I wouldn’t think so. Certain countries around the globe that violate certain basic human rights do so in the name of religion or extremist political ideology, not race.
Póg Mo Thoin
No longer proud to be born in British Columbia.
Smurf
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Smurf »

Who says they are human rights? I'll bet those other countries, people, religions, whatever, don't agree with that. Looking at it from their side of the fence I'll bet it is us that are wrong. What gives us the right to say what is right and wrong. Our beliefs? Off the top of my head I am willing to bet that there are many more people living in countries that don't agree with us than agree with us. My personal belief is we are right.

Is this any different than us trying to push our beliefs, laws, whatever on our FN's. Again I believe we are right but does that make it right?

Where do we draw the line on who is right and who is wrong?

I believe everyone is equal, but that is me. Someone else might believe we are not? Does that make them automatically wrong or just in my mind?
Consider how hard it is to change yourself and you'll understand what little chance you have of changing others.

The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the most of everything that comes their way.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

I've been called prejudiced, even racist at times in my life.

My answer to that..

My dislike towards someone comes as an individual encounter with that
particular person, nothing more, nothing less.

I don't care what colour ones skin is, or what Organization one belongs to.

If one is a *bleep*, I'll either turn their B.S. back on them, or distance myself
from them.

If one of these *bleep* ends up in a mob of like minded individuals that I
struggle to find common ground with, Is that really racism when I speak
in a negative manner towards them ?

Remember though, this could still involve those who have physical
similarities as my own. White.

The fact that I am also hetro, male, boomer, of slim stature makes it
even tougher to voice an opinion against..well...anything..

Great, now I feel oppressed...poor me..... :D
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Smurf wrote:Who says they are human rights? I'll bet those other countries, people, religions, whatever, don't agree with that. Looking at it from their side of the fence I'll bet it is us that are wrong. What gives us the right to say what is right and wrong. Our beliefs? Off the top of my head I am willing to bet that there are many more people living in countries that don't agree with us than agree with us.

That’s a fair point Smurf, and worthy of a discussion comparing ideological and/or religious values and beliefs. I think one of the problems people have in discussing racism is the confusing of these two separate issues. Some (I don’t think you) possibly even take this route deliberately to try and muddy the discussion enough so that it somehow justifies or rationalizes their own racist beliefs and behaviors. Culture and race are not the same thing. However, making assumptions about people's values and beliefs due to overgeneralized beliefs of a population is stereotyping, and that can and does lead to racism.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

dirtybiker wrote: My dislike towards someone comes as an individual encounter with that
particular person, nothing more, nothing less.

If one is a *bleep*, I'll either turn their B.S. back on them, or distance myself
from them.

If one of these *bleep* ends up in a mob of like minded individuals that I
struggle to find common ground with, Is that really racism when I speak
in a negative manner towards them ?

None of what you describe here is racism (and as you've noted, this could still involve those who have physical similarities as your own). Making assumptions about people you don't know based solely on their skin colour or race and treating or speaking about them in a discriminatory manner based on those assumptions is racism.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

^^Therefore being wrongly accused means racism was in
fact, leveled toward me ?

Quite the tangled web.
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

To be fair, a little back=ground may be in order as to my
personal involvement in such a topic.

I spent @ 25 yrs in a predominantly Indian (FN) Community.

The people that bullied, rolled, beat up and stole from me
by in large, were Indians.
Stands to reason just by Community Demographics.

My friends, team-mates, benefactors, school-mates, and
co-workers also fit the demographics of the Community.

This is how I came to have the understandings and views I possess now.

It serves me quite well in this melting pot we call Canada..
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

Yes, racism also exists amongst other populations, and I'm sorry you had to experience it. However, we can only be responsible for our own attitudes and behaviors and I'd hope you would agree the answer is not to perpetuate it.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Smurf wrote:I have a question I would like answered.

Are we racist when we go after countries/races about their human rights etc. When we try to tell them how to run their countries and lives, against, say, their religious beliefs. We believe we are right. They believe just as strongly they are right. Who is actually right.

I'm not saying who is right or wrong only asking if we are being self righteous.

No .. We are racist when we say " You can't do that here" or " We expect you do abide by our laws here" ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

It serves me quite well in this melting pot we call Canada..

Canada is , or WAS , a cultural mosaic ..
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
dirtybiker
Walks on Forum Water

Post by dirtybiker »

Ka-El wrote:Yes, racism also exists amongst other populations, and I'm sorry you had to experience it. However, we can only be responsible for our own attitudes and behaviors and I'd hope you would agree the answer is not to perpetuate it.

No need to feel sorry for treatment I've experienced throughout my life.
Those experiences have shaped me to who I am today.
Not one single regret in that regard.

An outcome being, as you put it, "being reponsible to our own attitudes and behaviors."

I'm sure this thread was started with an intent quite different than my percieved turn of it.

I should point it out around the table I share on a regular
basis with friends from about every Country known to man,
that now call Canada home.

So I guess, this thread really has no place for me. :200:

See what I did there ?
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

dirtybiker wrote: So I guess, this thread really has no place for me. :200:

See what I did there ?