Personal Responsibility re: Ex-Rocket suing WHL

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Personal Responsibility re: Ex-Rocket suing WHL

Postby WestbankRules » Jan 13th, 2019, 5:57 pm

These whiners knew what they were doing, knew the risks, and got what they wanted out of the game. It's bad enough the public health system will suffer for their choices, and all those that will not get the health care they need because funds go to these irresponsible and opportunistic individuals.

ALL sports above pure recreational should be mandated to pull a minimum of 10% from all sources of revenue for their players while in any way connected with sports and invested with direction of the players into publicly available, no special treatment, investments until or near the federal retirement age to insure against over-whelming and burdensome health care costs to protect the general public.

But...that is intelligent, fair and prudent.....soooo..... :dash: ...these individuals should be ashamed of themselves.

P.S. - this from someone that will live with life long disabilities from a work place injury with NO recourse but to accept minimal recompense and little support.
WestbankRules

Liked in: 4 posts

Re: Personal Responsibility re: Ex-Rocket suing WHL

Postby MAPearce » Jan 13th, 2019, 7:41 pm

If you have , or had a kid in a hockey programme , you'd know how hard it is to gauge letting a kid play or not ..

Most times , it takes the player to "fess up" to being hurt , other times it's left to the medical staff or coaches to figure it out ..

Tough call on this one . Did this kid wanna play that bad that he lied about any injury he may have had ? Or did the coaches need him that much that they pushed him ??

And considering that he IMHO , was a marginal player who never made it to the Big Show , he's just on the band wagon for the money ... The NHL just paid out a bunch to settle the same type of law suit so why not try at this level ?
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

soupy likes this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4406 posts

Postby JayByrd » Jan 14th, 2019, 9:24 am

WestbankRules wrote:These whiners knew what they were doing, knew the risks, and got what they wanted out of the game. It's bad enough the public health system will suffer for their choices, and all those that will not get the health care they need because funds go to these irresponsible and opportunistic individuals.

*snip*

P.S. - this from someone that will live with life long disabilities from a work place injury with NO recourse but to accept minimal recompense and little support.

First of all, Mr. McEwen was 17 years old when he first became a WHL player. A minor. And, this was 2004. Did he know the risks? Did anyone know what CTE was in 2004?

When a player is carded by a WHL team, that team takes responsibility for that player's care, related to sports injuries. If he'd broken a leg or busted teeth, he'd be seeing the team's health care professionals, on the team's dime, under the team's insurance. Should that responsibility extend to brain injuries, and their ongoing effects? It certainly does if a player suffers a brain injury today. It really has nothing to do with personal responsibility or being a whiner or not. The only question is liability. Were the league and/or it's member clubs aware of the risks, and if so, did they fulfill their obligation to inform their players (virtually all of whom were minors when they arrived) of those risks, as well as make a reasonable effort to ensure the safety of those players. Mr. McEwan suffered damages here, there's no question about that. Is the league responsible? Or is no one responsible? That's what this suit will determine. Honestly, you can bet that like most cases of this nature, it will be settled out of court. Cheques will be written, plaintiffs will be legally bound to say nothing, and the defendant will not have to admit any wrongdoing.

And how do you know what recompense and support are available to you, as a permanently injured worker? Your sense of personal responsibility prevented you from seeking those things, didn't it? I sympathize with your situation, but I can't help wondering if you see someone potentially getting a substantial settlement when you didn't, and you're projecting some anger toward them.
My fervent hope is that you and your tax dollars will be reunited in the afterlife.
JayByrd
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1459 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 14th, 2019, 1:35 pm

If this suceeds I am wondering where it will stop?

I mean, should I gather up some friends who I played house league hockey with as kids and should we sue the Kelowna Minor Hockey Assosication? I suffered concussions then, where is my money?

They promoted and encouraged youth to play this sport.

*facepalm*
soupy
Board Meister

Liked in: 570 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 14th, 2019, 3:46 pm

MAPearce wrote:If you have , or had a kid in a hockey programme , you'd know how hard it is to gauge letting a kid play or not ..

Most times , it takes the player to "fess up" to being hurt , other times it's left to the medical staff or coaches to figure it out ..

Tough call on this one . Did this kid wanna play that bad that he lied about any injury he may have had ? Or did the coaches need him that much that they pushed him ??

And considering that he IMHO , was a marginal player who never made it to the Big Show , he's just on the band wagon for the money ... The NHL just paid out a bunch to settle the same type of law suit so why not try at this level ?

NHL settlement compared to the NFL settlement is a huge joke.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 8111 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Fancy » Jan 14th, 2019, 4:24 pm

WestbankRules wrote:These whiners knew what they were doing, knew the risks, and got what they wanted out of the game. ....

That's debatable. Here's part of the article:

A former captain of the Kelowna Rockets is part of a class-action lawsuit against the WHL, Canadian Hockey League and Hockey Canada.

James McEwan played two seasons with the Rockets from 2006 to 2008, after two seasons with the Seattle Thunderbirds. He was the team's captain during the 2007-2008 season.

McEwan, a Kelowna native, is named in the suit filed in BC Supreme Court in Vancouver.

In a story posted on TSN, McEwan claims he was not given proper medical care after he was engaged in dozens of fights over his junior career.

He says he is now showing symptoms of CTE, chronic traumatic encephalopathy.

“Mr. McEwan began experiencing severe depression, anxiety, mood swings, memory loss, confusion, angry outbursts, and suicidal thoughts,” according to his claim filed on Wednesday.

"(They) should have known, or ought to have known, that multiple sub concussive and concussive blows to the head would lead to long term injury including but not limited to memory loss, dementia, depression, and CTE and its related symptoms.”

https://www.castanet.net/edition/news-s ... htm#246543

I don't see how a 17 year old would know what the medical repercussions could be decades down the road.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6709 posts

Postby MAPearce » Jan 14th, 2019, 5:05 pm

I don't see how a 17 year old would know what the medical repercussions could be decades down the road.

My 12 year old does . It doesn't take much more than a parent to drive that into a player , well maybe a minor injury that reappears after trying to push it too hard ... But he loves the game. He doesn't want to let his team mates down and hates missing a single shift ..

Problem here is that , although he's been made well aware of repercussions , dedicated players don't want to believe it ...
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

soupy likes this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby soupy » Jan 14th, 2019, 5:17 pm

MAPearce wrote:

My 12 year old does . It doesn't take much more than a parent to drive that into a player , well maybe a minor injury that reappears after trying to push it too hard ... But he loves the game. He doesn't want to let his team mates down and hates missing a single shift ..

Problem here is that , although he's been made well aware of repercussions , dedicated players don't want to believe it ...

I had a teammate diagnosed with concussion problems playing as teens in the 90s. We were 14 and knew what concussions were so whoever said a 17 year old elite hockey player didn't know is out to lunch on that comment.
soupy
Board Meister

Liked in: 570 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 14th, 2019, 6:11 pm

Don't misunderstand me - young people know what concussions are. But do they know what are ALL the possibilities of brain trauma can be? Are team players given a list of potential health issues?
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby MAPearce » Jan 14th, 2019, 7:06 pm

Fancy wrote:Don't misunderstand me - young people know what concussions are. But do they know what are ALL the possibilities of brain trauma can be? Are team players given a list of potential health issues?

Momma tells the boy every day during hockey season ..

My step son is well aware of the INHERENT risks of playing " the game " .. As you know Fancy , Momma is in health care and she's a helicopter parent when it comes to stuff like this .

He knows .. Trust me .
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby Fancy » Jan 14th, 2019, 7:18 pm

I think you and I are on the same page. I've realized how bad concussions can be quite some years ago when others didn't and now I'm concerned for the future. If these lawsuits get others to understand long term effects and changes are made - I'm okay with it.
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Postby MAPearce » Jan 14th, 2019, 7:33 pm

Fancy wrote:I think you and I are on the same page. I've realized how bad concussions can be quite some years ago when others didn't and now I'm concerned for the future. If these lawsuits get others to understand long term effects and changes are made - I'm okay with it.

I think the law suits are a "thing" now a days ... It's a way of gaining from lack of personal responsibility .

Who doesn't know that playing a full contact sport will result in physical injury from time to time ? IMHO , this law suit is just a band wagon thing powered by a precedent set in a court of law... " Understanding " doesn't have much to do with it

The NHL payed out , The NFL will pay out , so why not the " DUB" ?

My kid is second year Pee Wee and is well schooled in the injury dept.

soupy likes this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Postby jayvenus » Jan 16th, 2019, 7:45 am

He was in numerous fights (assaults). All which were against the rules of the game. If he didn't break the rules he wouldn't have the problems he has. I played hockey for 50 years and never got in a fight, but I did win MVP.

2 people like this post.
jayvenus

Liked in: 2 posts

Return to Social Concerns