Single use plastic

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Single use plastic

Postby Omnitheo » Jun 19th, 2019, 10:36 am

dogspoiler wrote:What's the plan for single use condoms, I find them on the beach fairly often.

Literally already answered on the first post on this page...
spooker wrote:
Jlabute wrote:^^ condoms too. I don’t think people would want paper ones.

Condoms are latex which is actually a natural substance produced by plants ... actually we wouldn't want "plastic" condoms ...
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4899 posts

Postby voice of reason » Jun 19th, 2019, 10:37 am

dogspoiler wrote:What's the plan for single use condoms, I find them on the beach fairly often.

they are just going to have to make them multi use

Country plough boy likes this post.
voice of reason
Übergod

Liked in: 1652 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Jun 19th, 2019, 10:47 am

Can someone explain to me how any of our plastic in the Okanagan is getting into the oceans. Complete joke. And why not instead of having a dump in every city have those incinerators that turn waste into electricity. Come on people. And no I don't have a link for that machine cuz I've seen it before Google it yourself. If you need a link for everything you're helpless and how do you get by day-to-day
If you can't handle the truth, plug your ears. Don't ask me to stop speaking. This is a no snowflake Zone

2 people like this post.
common_sense_guy
Board Meister

Liked in: 363 posts

Postby voice of reason » Jun 19th, 2019, 10:47 am

i think a legit concern here is what about all the canadian packaging companies? the govt is going to drive them out of business. their equipment will be worthless and their employees will be jobless. what about the bottled water industry? there is a lot of jobs and livelihoods at play here just so justin can virtue signal to his base. take a place like century packaging on the westside. they make plastic bottles .so what they are just supposed to close up shop now? there are manufacturing plants across the country that make plastic single use items .that is peoples jobs and businesses and now the govt is just going to do away with them . odds are this never happens and after the election trudeau is long gone and life goes back to being normal again
voice of reason
Übergod

Liked in: 1652 posts

Postby Hassel99 » Jun 19th, 2019, 10:56 am

voice of reason wrote:i think a legit concern here is what about all the canadian packaging companies? the govt is going to drive them out of business. their equipment will be worthless and their employees will be jobless. what about the bottled water industry? there is a lot of jobs and livelihoods at play here just so justin can virtue signal to his base. take a place like century packaging on the westside. they make plastic bottles .so what they are just supposed to close up shop now? there are manufacturing plants across the country that make plastic single use items .that is peoples jobs and businesses and now the govt is just going to do away with them . odds are this never happens and after the election trudeau is long gone and life goes back to being normal again

Wont anyone think of the horse and buggie drivers?? they will be out of work!

The world evolves, so will business.
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3416 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Jun 19th, 2019, 10:59 am

We as consumers are perfectly capable of learning how to navigate our world and minimize our dependence on plastic; it's high time we did it, too.

If we start learning now, then it'll be easier if when the fit hits the shan.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

JLives likes this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4647 posts

Postby AlienSoldier » Jun 19th, 2019, 11:03 am

voice of reason wrote:i think a legit concern here is what about all the canadian packaging companies? the govt is going to drive them out of business. their equipment will be worthless and their employees will be jobless. what about the bottled water industry? there is a lot of jobs and livelihoods at play here just so justin can virtue signal to his base. take a place like century packaging on the westside. they make plastic bottles .so what they are just supposed to close up shop now? there are manufacturing plants across the country that make plastic single use items .that is peoples jobs and businesses and now the govt is just going to do away with them . odds are this never happens and after the election trudeau is long gone and life goes back to being normal again

OOOrrrrr, business does what its supposed to do and evolve. When governments enact progressive policies it forces a lot of businesses to evolve, find new products, or find ways to make products that are aligned to the policies. Maybe plastics which biodegrade (they have those now). Or build systems where single use plastics are returned to be reused/melted.

This is similar to when emissions standards were increased in NA. People cried that the industry could not be competitive globally if these standards are so stringent. Yet, the industry adapted and then thrived, while others played catch-up.
AlienSoldier
Board Meister

Liked in: 338 posts

Postby lesliepaul » Jun 19th, 2019, 11:37 am

Trudeau and that blonde idiot Catherine (yell louder) McKenna just have no clue on any of this...…….."we are banning everything plastic by 2021"...……..to be replaced with real stupid and untested ideas and products that they want to believe are out there.

I can only hope Trudeau mixes up a big batch of "Jimmy Jones" cool-aid (in a glass jug or metal vat of course) and lets McKenna and the rest of these Liberals quench their thirst for stupidity and a squandering of all of our tax dollars in the name of saving the planet...……."Canada to the rescue"...……. :cuss: right off Justin!
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1284 posts

Postby LANDM » Jun 19th, 2019, 11:45 am

Every once in a while on a super hot day I have a strange guilty pleasure. I stop at the white spot drive through on Mcurdy and order a milkshake. They changed the straws from plastic to whatever, and they let tiny bubbles of air in on the suction so it makes the milkshake taste foamy. :swear:
I want to continue to use single use plastic straws for that!

bornhere63 likes this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4428 posts

Postby AlienSoldier » Jun 19th, 2019, 11:49 am

LANDM wrote:Every once in a while on a super hot day I have a strange guilty pleasure. I stop at the white spot drive through on Mcurdy and order a milkshake. They changed the straws from plastic to whatever, and they let tiny bubbles of air in on the suction so it makes the milkshake taste foamy. :swear:
I want to continue to use single use plastic straws for that!

They have multi use straws, steel and glass straws, you can use anyone of those. My wife got a few of them for free while walking to work one day.
AlienSoldier
Board Meister

Liked in: 338 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Jun 19th, 2019, 11:50 am

Straws... useless. Buy yourself a damn sippy cup, curl up with a blankie and call it a day.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4647 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jun 19th, 2019, 12:05 pm

I do see a use for those "bendable" plastic straws. They are great for those that are bed-ridden and have difficulty sitting up. Like those in the hospital or in a nursing home.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

bornhere63 likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4842 posts

Postby LANDM » Jun 19th, 2019, 12:29 pm

kgcayenne wrote:Straws... useless. Buy yourself a damn sippy cup, curl up with a blankie and call it a day.

I think I would be arrested if I was curled up in a blanket in my car, drinking a white spot milkshake out of a sippy cup.....there is some kids play centre a hundred feet away.......creepsville.

Nope, single use straw, thick plastic, great non-foamy shake.

2 people like this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4428 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jun 19th, 2019, 12:50 pm

LANDM wrote:
kgcayenne wrote:Straws... useless. Buy yourself a damn sippy cup, curl up with a blankie and call it a day.

I think I would be arrested if I was curled up in a blanket in my car, drinking a white spot milkshake out of a sippy cup.....there is some kids play centre a hundred feet away.......creepsville.

Nope, single use straw, thick plastic, great non-foamy shake.

Possession of a White Spot milkshake within 100 feet of children should be considered illegal and seen as bait. Yes, it's creepy.
What is your favorite flavour?
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

2 people like this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4842 posts

Postby spooker » Jun 19th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Country plough boy wrote:Love to see how drink lids get made from paper. Same goes for food saver wrap. We gonna outlaw that ?

I've switched to using a travel mug for pretty much anything ... and we've made a serious dent in our usage of food wrap and baggies by using these: https://abeego.com/
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
spooker
Übergod

Liked in: 995 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns