Gillette's Commercial

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Gillette's Commercial

Postby Popeye69 » Jan 16th, 2019, 11:16 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koPmuEyP3a0

Well we had a good run Gillette. You helped me shave since I was a kid. We had a good run my old friend. But.. then you went and did this. Dollar Shave club you got my money and my sons money from now on.

I'm insulted that the commercial references "some" men are good. The majority of us are.
Hoppin on a band wagon to make a few bucks cries biatch to me. Cya Gillette

3 people like this post.
Popeye69
Board Meister

Liked in: 38 posts

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby Gilchy » Jan 16th, 2019, 11:31 pm

And people say the left are snowflakes.

7 people like this post.
Gilchy
Übergod

Liked in: 1065 posts

Postby Popeye69 » Jan 16th, 2019, 11:35 pm

Wow thought I'd get a few men's responses before a feminist showed up. But..this is castanet. I shouldn't of been surprised I guess lol

4 people like this post.
Popeye69
Board Meister

Liked in: 38 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 16th, 2019, 11:50 pm

It's a shame that companies choose to make political/social statements in order to sell their products instead of focusing on their product and target market.

Some people will vow never to buy the product again. Thats cool. Then there will be those applauding Gillette for making men "aware" and further the unnecessary conditioning of this whacky trend that men are bad and whatever. The irony is that those applauding are blind to the simple fact that they have now become Gillette's new target market in hopes to sell them razors for the men in their life.

As for me, I liked the Mach 3. The Fusion was pretty decent, but way overpriced. I find the Bic Flex 5 just as good for half the cost.

Dollar Shave Club, the 6 bladed Executive is too aggressive and clogs way too easily. The 4X is better, but doesn't have the trimming blade.

Safety razors have made a huge comeback over the years, and are by far the most cost effective for those who really want a good shave at minimal costs.

As for shave creams, anything that comes out of a can is a no-no. Tubes or soaps are much better and come in greater variety :up:
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5054 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 17th, 2019, 1:47 am

As I personally see it, some men are as :cuss: holes and a tv commercial is not going to change them. Other men are not, it's those who will most likely be P/O by this commercial.

I will be terribly surprised if this experiment isn't pulled rather quickly. Oh yes, there are some (aka other men) of us who do call those as :cuss: holes out on their BS.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

2 people like this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9084 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby Gilchy » Jan 17th, 2019, 4:39 am

Popeye69 wrote:Wow thought I'd get a few men's responses before a feminist showed up. But..this is castanet. I shouldn't of been surprised I guess lol

#notallmen

The commercial basically states that we should all strive to be better. To which, hey, no one is perfect, so let’s keep working on it. Getting offended by this is crazy to me. What offends me about Gillette is not this commercial, rather the prices they charge for blades. Double edged safety razors provide a better shave for a tiny fraction of the cost.

At the end of the day, the company/brand is trying to associate with a current social conversation for “brownie points” and profit. No different than Nike with the Kapernick ad and BLM, Chik-Gil-A with conservative Christians, Brietbart with nut jobs, etc.

7 people like this post.
Gilchy
Übergod

Liked in: 1065 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jan 17th, 2019, 6:51 am

Point by point the commercial gets it right (concerning women) on some things and wrong (IMO with the kids playing rough etc.. ) I guess without much thought into it it does kinda makes men all look like *bleep* heads.
Guess nothing is gonna grab your attention unless the pendulum makes a full swing.

Terris likes this post.
jimmy4321
Guru

Liked in: 2499 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Jan 17th, 2019, 8:22 am

I watched the ad on youtube because I was curious at the fuss.

I'm a woman.

I found it . . . patronizing.

I also felt irritated - so "some men" are good. Only some. As wife and mother, and having guys who are friends - I'd say a lot more than "some men" are good. I'd say that "some men" are douche-bags. I know far more men who are decent, than men who are not.

It all felt vaguely misandrist.

Turning it around, if it was talking about women, and only "some women" were good but the rest of us had to improve; I'd be *bleep*.
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

4 people like this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4668 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 17th, 2019, 8:24 am

Gillette will be as bad off as Nike was after their Kaepernick adds. :smt045

The real problem is that now people are calling out Gillette for their #pinktax
(Female razors more expensive than men's)

2 people like this post.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 816 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jan 17th, 2019, 8:43 am

For the most part, Gillette will be preaching to the converted with this ad. The rest, are probably not going to get the message anyway.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Jan 17th, 2019, 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terris likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2553 posts

Postby Glacier » Jan 17th, 2019, 9:01 am

Here's a good video discussing and unpacking it. Personally, I did not find it offensive or anything, but I can see why people did. It used SJW language and imagery, and since humans are emotional beings, it ticked off the anti-SJW crowd.

“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

2 people like this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12756 posts

Postby seewood » Jan 17th, 2019, 9:06 am

Thought commercials were about what you have to sell, why it is better than the competition, and testimonials.
Personally I don't care one way or another about this particular commercial. Its in the news cycle now until another topic comes up.

I still use my Track 2 from the 70's. Still works great but finding blades is a bit more problematic today.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

Merry likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1654 posts

Postby Omnitheo » Jan 17th, 2019, 9:28 am

Great, just one more thing we have to listen to the snowflakes cry about.

2 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4916 posts

Postby soupy » Jan 17th, 2019, 9:33 am

Simple fact that this is being discussed is HUGE for Gillette.

All the free advertizing they are getting right now amounts to WAAAAAY more then the actual loses they will see from people who say they will be boycotting.

2 people like this post.
soupy
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 816 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Jan 17th, 2019, 9:37 am

Lady tehMa wrote: I watched the ad on youtube because I was curious at the fuss.

I'm a woman.

I found it . . . patronizing.

I also felt irritated - so "some men" are good. Only some. As wife and mother, and having guys who are friends - I'd say a lot more than "some men" are good. I'd say that "some men" are douche-bags. I know far more men who are decent, than men who are not.

It all felt vaguely misandrist.

I agree 100% and then some. This whole thing is a load of BS.

Lady tehMa wrote:Turning it around, if it was talking about women, and only "some women" were good but the rest of us had to improve; I'd be *bleep*.

Welll…. in a way, we've been told this for decades. I suppose we're used to being told that our physical appearance is inadequate and we need this makeup, this haircolour, that shampoo and conditioner, and botox because we're too old now, and that gym membership because we're too fat, and this workout attire because we can't possibly look shabby while we are trying to not be so fat....

However, there aren't any commercials out there telling us to not be utter and complete beyotches to one another, are there. No, there are some women out there who when seeing a razor commercial of that ilk directed at them would say "Oh yah, I'll cut you *bleep*"
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

2 people like this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4659 posts

Next

Return to Social Concerns