Gillette's Commercial

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby Merry » Jan 21st, 2019, 11:13 am

There's an old saying that "two wrongs, don't make one right".

Pointing out injustices and wrongs to another group, doesn't make it OK to behave badly toward the group being discussed.

For what it's worth I don't care for the Gilette ad, not because I don't agree with the message, but because I don't think advertisements selling commercial products are necessarily the best vehicle to try to get such important messages across.

But that said, societal attitudes towards women needs to change in this country, and in most of the world. And that doesn't in any way negate the need to change attitudes towards various other groups; far from it. But as this thread is dealing with the male/female relationship in this complicated world of ours, lets just stick with that for now.

Differential treatment towards women isn't confined just to violence; there are lots of subtle ways that women are treated differently than men that need to change, in addition to our attitude about the physical violence many women endure at the hands of their partners.

Just last week I heard a comment (from a young female indigenous woman) that women shouldn't be leaders, because men do it better. And it is attitudes such as that which need to change.

Many years ago, when I was Chairman of a local hospital Board and had to attend a meeting of Board Chairman in Toronto, I was the only woman in the room that was there in an official capacity. And several of the men (trying to be nice) came over and asked me "who's wife I was".

Fast forward a few years, and I was elected to a Municipal Council and at the first meeting, one of the male councillors came over to introduce himself and welcome me to the group. During the course of the conversation he told me that he'd get his wife to "pass on some of her recipes". And the problem is that the guy honestly thought he was being welcoming and friendly. He had absolutely no idea he was being offensive.

I could go on for hours with different examples of the kind of thing that women have to put up with, but I assume you're getting the picture.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin

5 people like this post.
User avatar
Merry
Guru
 
Posts: 9686
Likes: 9210 posts
Liked in: 8676 posts
Joined: Nov 2nd, 2008, 12:41 pm

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby Ka-El » Jan 21st, 2019, 11:16 am

liisgo wrote: Maybe your missing what the beef is here.

After more than fifteen years working directly with domestic violence and sexual offenders I know exactly what the beef is. You don’t want to be lumped in those men who do offend. I easily recognize the deflections and defensiveness. The problem is you seemingly also do not want to acknowledge or talk about it and don’t even recognize your own defensiveness. No one is saying all men are abusive, so why are you so worried they might be talking about you? Doesn't make sense; unless ...
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.

4 people like this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Guru
 
Posts: 7865
Likes: 4596 posts
Liked in: 6894 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby Ka-El » Jan 21st, 2019, 11:48 am

liisgo wrote:
. However, given the energy displayed by the men who seemingly want us to continue deflecting from the issue and/or not acknowledge that such violence and abuse does still occur,"Im reading these posts and do not see all these people here deflecting from the issue of violence and abuse, Any one can see thats not the case" it seems clear there is still work to do in breaking through that denial. "Can you post all the examples of someone actually saying abuse and violence doenst happen"The only thing necessary for violence against women to persist is for otherwise presumably good men to stand back and say nothing against it – or worse, try to spread the message it is a non-issue. As I’ve stated, anyone working with the Courts could easily tell us all otherwise. So then your aware that the majority of Prisoners in the USA are of a certain color, and your in support of an ad with all the actors being of this color and telling them that they can do better? Your OK with this, wow.

This is exactly what I mean. A poster asks me to post an example of someone saying the violence and abuse doesn’t happen, and then almost immediately deflects from the topic by introducing the completely irrelevant issue of disproportionate race representation in prisons. This is my question. Why the persistent efforts to continue trying to ignore or change the subject?
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Guru
 
Posts: 7865
Likes: 4596 posts
Liked in: 6894 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby normaM » Jan 21st, 2019, 1:09 pm

"This week Gillette, the razor brand, released an advert calling out toxic masculinity and encouraging men to hold each other accountable for bullying and sexual harassment. Proctor and Gamble, owners of the brand, launched the advert as part of a wider campaign, We Believe, which revisits Gillette’s tagline ‘The Best A Man Can Get’ in an effort to encourage men to reconsider what it means to be the best version themselves.

“We're not saying all guys are bad. We're not trying to misrepresent any one individual. What we're saying is, as a collective group let's have a little less bad behavior and more good. That's the big message behind it,” says Damon Jones, Vice President, Global Communications and Advocacy at Procter and Gamble.

As part of the campaign, the organization is donating one million dollars (USD) per year, over the next three years, to non-profit organizations in the United States that work with men to tackle some of these issues."
Forbes yesterday.
Button button.. where are those cheap buttons?
User avatar
normaM
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 19241
Likes: 9330 posts
Liked in: 6508 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2007, 7:28 am

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 21st, 2019, 2:08 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 21st, 2019, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
User avatar
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah
 
Posts: 2670
Likes: 366 posts
Liked in: 1496 posts
Joined: Nov 24th, 2013, 4:19 pm
Location: Enroute to FRB 121102

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby Queen K » Jan 21st, 2019, 2:22 pm

*removed*


I must say, the subject to me is a very serious one. I am keeping it light in my own way, but in no way shape or form am I unaware of the issues at hand.

I recall being at a card game with one couple.
For every hand she dealt, or card she put down, her man would berate her, violently sometimes. The language and name calling!
I was like a deer in headlights (my own reasons).
But what did Gerry do? He got fed up. Seriously, the man I was with spoke up and said something.
That is what the Gillette Ad is all about. Speak up. Say, notice, prevent and intervene. Gerry did.

Gerry spoke up to the guy and said, "stop it, you're embarrassing yourself and her." I want to say that is the exact wording but I likely froze it out. But the Gillette ad is right.

I suffer from severe social anxiety about getting together with people and that incident was very early in my adult life being on my own.

But the ad is right.

(Later: Gerry and I drove up to High Level to visit with them. I have not kept in touch but I wonder if she divorced him eventually or ???).
Last edited by ferri on Jan 21st, 2019, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 57063
Likes: 14371 posts
Liked in: 15614 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: Beside the Right Wingers, to light the way.

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby zoo » Jan 21st, 2019, 2:48 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 21st, 2019, 3:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Stop making this personal.
zoo
Generalissimo Postalot
 
Posts: 748
Likes: 2 posts
Liked in: 266 posts
Joined: Jan 12th, 2006, 4:53 pm

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby Gixxer » Jan 21st, 2019, 3:21 pm

Ugh a new word to get offended by. I more offended that the OP is wasting his money on dollar shave club and not buying directly from their supplier Dorco. I spend $60 and Im good for 3-4 years.

2 people like this post.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4654
Likes: 932 posts
Liked in: 1750 posts
Joined: Jul 26th, 2007, 8:24 am

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby Ka-El » Jan 21st, 2019, 4:36 pm

Queen K wrote: That is what the Gillette Ad is all about. Speak up. Say, notice, prevent and intervene. Gerry did.

Gerry spoke up to the guy and said, "stop it, you're embarrassing yourself and her." I want to say that is the exact wording but I likely froze it out. But the Gillette ad is right.

This is what the anti-violence messages are all about. You’re either a part of the solution by recognizing the problem still very much exists and speaking up about it, or you’re trying to pretend there is no problem, that women are just making this stuff up and we should all just “move on”. What is so hard about saying violence against women is unacceptable – without all the deflections, excuses and diversions? Want to talk about disproportionate race representation in prisons? Start a thread for it.
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.

3 people like this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Guru
 
Posts: 7865
Likes: 4596 posts
Liked in: 6894 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby KiloHotel » Jan 21st, 2019, 5:37 pm

Ka-El wrote:
Queen K wrote: That is what the Gillette Ad is all about. Speak up. Say, notice, prevent and intervene. Gerry did.

Gerry spoke up to the guy and said, "stop it, you're embarrassing yourself and her." I want to say that is the exact wording but I likely froze it out. But the Gillette ad is right.

This is what the anti-violence messages are all about. You’re either a part of the solution by recognizing the problem still very much exists and speaking up about it, or you’re trying to pretend there is no problem, that women are just making this stuff up and we should all just “move on”. What is so hard about saying violence against women is unacceptable – without all the deflections, excuses and diversions? Want to talk about disproportionate race representation in prisons? Start a thread for it.



It is unacceptable, the point is the fact that, that's obvious. The reason people are up in arms about this ad is the fact that a company with a sketchy track record is preaching moral superiority while not having any. Kinda patronizing, don't ya think?

Not only that, but the fact that they call rough housing toxic masculinity doesn't sit well with me either, but I'm just a snowflake I guess. Let's see how raising a generation of pussies works out.
KiloHotel
Fledgling
 
Posts: 196
Likes: 1329 posts
Liked in: 139 posts
Joined: Oct 29th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby Ka-El » Jan 21st, 2019, 5:43 pm

KiloHotel wrote: Let's see how raising a generation of pussies works out.

As noted, sadly we have a lot of work ahead of us yet. Thank God for evolution. :smt045
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
Ka-El
Guru
 
Posts: 7865
Likes: 4596 posts
Liked in: 6894 posts
Joined: Oct 18th, 2015, 9:19 am

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby LANDM » Jan 21st, 2019, 8:41 pm

KiloHotel wrote: Let's see how raising a generation of pussies works out.


I wouldn’t want to see how a generation of pussies who can’t handle an ad would work out.

It’s scary to think about a generation of little powderpuff snowflakes who are so scared of any threat to their masculinity that they have to get their tiny little gonads in a bunch over .......a razor company ad.....bwahahahahahahahaha.

So no.....I don’t want to see that either.

kevingerry78 likes this post.
LANDM
Guru
 
Posts: 7735
Likes: 2423 posts
Liked in: 4449 posts
Joined: Sep 18th, 2009, 11:58 am

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby KiloHotel » Jan 21st, 2019, 10:45 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 22nd, 2019, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate!
KiloHotel
Fledgling
 
Posts: 196
Likes: 1329 posts
Liked in: 139 posts
Joined: Oct 29th, 2006, 11:04 pm

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby OKkayak » Jan 22nd, 2019, 1:07 am

LANDM wrote:I wouldn’t want to see how a generation of pussies who can’t handle an ad would work out.

It’s scary to think about a generation of little powderpuff snowflakes who are so scared of any threat to their masculinity that they have to get their tiny little gonads in a bunch over .......a razor company ad.....bwahahahahahahahaha.

So no.....I don’t want to see that either.

It's not just the commercial, it's just another step in this trend of taking a serious issue and morphing it into something that doesn't need to have masculinity, femininity, race, religion, patriotism constantly questioned. The majority of men don't need this addressed, we don't need to be reminded of the basics of being a human being.

And this whole SJW world is getting beyond messed up, we can preach to men that it's not cool to whistle at an attractive lady but we can't speak up against Muslim's who see women as objects. It makes no sense anymore.

And here's the irony of it all, the commercial is all about anti-bullying yet here you are, endorsing the ad and calling a "generation of pussies" and "generation of little powderpuff snowflakes" with "tiny little gonads". So, I guess I should be a "real man" now, as per the commercial and tell you, "hey, that's not cool". Now, don't take that personally, just trying to make my opinion.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
User avatar
OKkayak
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 3806
Likes: 3956 posts
Liked in: 5049 posts
Joined: May 14th, 2018, 11:10 pm

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby Queen K » Jan 22nd, 2019, 1:19 am

OKkayak wrote:
LANDM wrote:I wouldn’t want to see how a generation of pussies who can’t handle an ad would work out.

It’s scary to think about a generation of little powderpuff snowflakes who are so scared of any threat to their masculinity that they have to get their tiny little gonads in a bunch over .......a razor company ad.....bwahahahahahahahaha.

So no.....I don’t want to see that either.

It's not just the commercial, it's just another step in this trend of taking a serious issue and morphing it into something that doesn't need to have masculinity, femininity, race, religion, patriotism constantly questioned. The majority of men don't need this addressed, we don't need to be reminded of the basics of being a human being.

And this whole SJW world is getting beyond messed up, we can preach to men that it's not cool to whistle at an attractive lady but we can't speak up against Muslim's who see women as objects. It makes no sense anymore.

And here's the irony of it all, the commercial is all about anti-bullying yet here you are, endorsing the ad and calling a "generation of pussies" and "generation of little powderpuff snowflakes" with "tiny little gonads". So, I guess I should be a "real man" now, as per the commercial and tell you, "hey, that's not cool". Now, don't take that personally, just trying to make my opinion.


Right there. It's late and I'm not staying up to explore that one but will get to it later.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
User avatar
Queen K
Queen of the Castle
 
Posts: 57063
Likes: 14371 posts
Liked in: 15614 posts
Joined: Jan 31st, 2007, 12:39 pm
Location: Beside the Right Wingers, to light the way.

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gilchy, JayByrd and 1 guest