Gillette's Commercial

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby OKkayak » Jan 22nd, 2019, 12:43 am

Queen K wrote:Right there. It's late and I'm not staying up to explore that one but will get to it later.

Should I set my alarm? :biggrin:

Queen K likes this post.
OKkayak
Übergod

Liked in: 1566 posts

Postby Gilchy » Jan 22nd, 2019, 4:05 am

KiloHotel wrote:*removed*

*removed*

Toxic masculinity is a strange balance of fragility (getting angry when masculinity is supposedly questioned, rather than feeling secure in oneself), and misplaced inherent feelings of superiority. The use of the term “*bleep*” as an insult, Sedin sisters, “Man up”, all these are intended to not only imply that the feminem is inferior, but actually so inferior as to be insulting to be compared to.
Last edited by ferri on Jan 22nd, 2019, 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed post.

2 people like this post.
Gilchy
Übergod

Liked in: 581 posts

Postby Rider59 » Jan 22nd, 2019, 5:20 am

Well, I guess if you aren’t very masculine to begin with, you wouldn’t have any issue with it being questioned. Not that I give a **** what anyone thinks if I live up to their idea of manhood.
Rider59
Board Meister

Liked in: 490 posts

Postby LANDM » Jan 22nd, 2019, 5:25 am

OKkayak wrote:
LANDM wrote:I wouldn’t want to see how a generation of pussies who can’t handle an ad would work out.

It’s scary to think about a generation of little powderpuff snowflakes who are so scared of any threat to their masculinity that they have to get their tiny little gonads in a bunch over .......a razor company ad.....bwahahahahahahahaha.

So no.....I don’t want to see that either.

It's not just the commercial, it's just another step in this trend of taking a serious issue and morphing it into something that doesn't need to have masculinity, femininity, race, religion, patriotism constantly questioned. The majority of men don't need this addressed, we don't need to be reminded of the basics of being a human being.

And this whole SJW world is getting beyond messed up, we can preach to men that it's not cool to whistle at an attractive lady but we can't speak up against Muslim's who see women as objects. It makes no sense anymore.

And here's the irony of it all, the commercial is all about anti-bullying yet here you are, endorsing the ad and calling a "generation of pussies" and "generation of little powderpuff snowflakes" with "tiny little gonads". So, I guess I should be a "real man" now, as per the commercial and tell you, "hey, that's not cool". Now, don't take that personally, just trying to make my opinion.

Actually, kiloHotel was the one who I directly quoted the "generations of pussies" from and I am merely using the tried and true vernacular of the real man with "snowflake" and "powderpuff"....the tiny little gonads part, though, was artfully put in to get the response that I apparently got.....but was removed as being inappropriate before I saw it. Looks like I may have hit a bit too close to home for someone.

But, to address your comments, I see what you are saying but I do not agree with the argument that one cannot deal with one issue while another issue remains undealt with.

More importantly, I remain steadfast that getting one’s panties in a knot over this as does firmly plant oneself in the snowflake camp. And these snowflakes should simply get their big-girl panties on and deal with life a bit better. Obviously, there are issues that they are having troubles with and if the ad brings it to the forefront, that’s great.

2 people like this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3663 posts

Postby KiloHotel » Jan 22nd, 2019, 5:14 pm

Honestly, I think it only isn't a problem for people who don't take notice of the bigger picture. It's part of a wider agenda that you are clearly too comfortable, willingly ignorant or blind to see. Maybe you do but it's easier to just practice cognitive dissonance and ignore it. But I strongly believe there is an agenda against masculinity in general. Hence my opposition to this advertising campaign and its subtle, and not so subtle messaging.

It sounds innocent and great on the surface, but when you tie it in with everything else going on in society, its clear to me there's more to it. Not many masculine men left these days, especially from my generation, millennials. Most of us are too weak to handle reality for what it is and self medicate / party constantly to escape reality. I used to be the same way but I've decided to pull myself up by my balls and start being.. toxically masculine?

But I guess I'm just a snowflake for objecting to being patronized and told rough housing and being sexually forward is toxic, among other things.. Being sexually forward, or aggressive as I suppose you could call it is part of being a man, I'm not talking unwelcome touching or rape or any of that reprehensible conduct.. But my god, you can't even have spontaneous sex anymore without fear of a rape charge.. No woman wants to be asked if she wants to have sex, I've been told I'm being too forward for trying to get consent, and told to be spontaneous by multiple women.. That's a catch 22 right there, how in the hell do you do both at the same time?

Obviously walking a fine line here... I just don't think women see what they are doing to men with 3rd wave feminism, or maybe they just hate men? Are they too self centered and short sighted to care? I dunno, just how I feel. If that's me being a snowflake, then that's cool I guess.

BTW Landm I take back my rude comment I made toward you out of anger, it's just frustrating how complex the simplest things in life are getting these days, and having people call you a snowflake for expressing your discontent.

Edit: Fixed some spelling and grammar errors.
KiloHotel
Fledgling

Liked in: 136 posts

Postby Venkman » Jan 24th, 2019, 4:20 pm

KiloHotel wrote:Being sexually forward, or aggressive as I suppose you could call it is part of being a man,

Uh, no it isn't. There's no unwritten rule in society that to be manly a man needs to be sexually aggressive.

KiloHotel wrote:No woman wants to be asked if she wants to have sex,

Wow. Just wow. It's not surprising people are so upset over this commercial when they hold views that non-consensual sex is a-ok and that being sexually aggressive is a-ok.

3 people like this post.
Venkman

Liked in: 77 posts

Postby sobrohusfat » Jan 24th, 2019, 4:27 pm

so, is there no other understanding of what he posted that you can possibly conceive of beyond your virtue signalling vomit?
Last edited by sobrohusfat on Jan 24th, 2019, 4:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please." - Mark Twain

KiloHotel likes this post.
sobrohusfat
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1995 posts

Postby Venkman » Jan 24th, 2019, 4:31 pm

sobrohusfat wrote:so, is there no other understanding of what he posted that you can possibly conceive of beyond your virtue signalling vomit?

Asking for consent before engaging in a sex act is common sense and is definitely not virtue signalling.

Ka-El likes this post.
Venkman

Postby sobrohusfat » Jan 24th, 2019, 4:32 pm

It wouild require reading it ALL and keeping it ALL in context - and without the assumption that he's a random sperm splashing predator.

just sayin

it would be a worthwhile exercise but ...not doing it for you

2 people like this post.
sobrohusfat
Lord of the Board

Postby Venkman » Jan 24th, 2019, 4:34 pm

sobrohusfat wrote:It wouild require reading it ALL and keeping it ALL in context - and without the assumption that he's a random sperm splashing predator.

just sayin

What context? There's a direct statement that being sexually aggressive is part of being a man. No examples are stated.The ad is targeting this kind of warped nonsense thinking and it's sad seeing people attempting to defend being a jerk and quasi rape as manly things to do.

3 people like this post.
Venkman

Postby Ka-El » Jan 24th, 2019, 4:41 pm

Why is it so hard for (some) men to acknowledge violence against women is not all right – without all the cognitive dissonance, excuses, rationalization and deflections? Women don’t want to be asked? On any given night in Canada, 3,491 women and their 2,724 children sleep in shelters to escape abuse. About 300 women and children are turned away each night because shelters are full. Part of what perpetuates violence against women and children is a culture of silence. Other factors include outdated and erroneous attitudes of what it is to be a man. Evolution, whether physical, social or cultural is inevitable and real men today (those who have been evolving) recognize that treating women with respect in no way detracts from our masculinity. Sadly, some guys seem to still have some pretty twisted perspective on what it means to be a man today.
The ability to suspend judgment and change your mind when warranted is a distinguishing feature of critical thought
– apparently not recognizable to those who don’t have the ability.

"I don't know who dimples is, I don't know what this means"

davis123 likes this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 5744 posts

Postby sobrohusfat » Jan 24th, 2019, 4:47 pm

wow - i see you're stuck

inconceivably as it may seem, some of us have never raped a woman - AND simultaneously have also never engaged in a conversation with a woman to determine if she would be vexed with the impending unbuttoning of her blouse.

how can this possibly be !?! THE HORROR !!

KiloHotel likes this post.
sobrohusfat
Lord of the Board

Postby kgcayenne » Jan 24th, 2019, 4:49 pm

If KiloHotel were to express his masculinity toward me, I’d show him a thing or two about close quarters defence and how a confident woman can lay an arsewhoppin like nobody’s business.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

4 people like this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4081 posts

Postby Venkman » Jan 24th, 2019, 4:50 pm

sobrohusfat wrote:wow - i see you're stuck

inconceivably as it may seem, some of us have never raped a woman - AND simultaneously have also never engaged in a conversation with a woman to determine if she would be vexed with the impending unbuttoning of her blouse.

how can this possibly be !?! THE HORROR !!

Congratulations for not raping anyone, here's a medal. But you're not the one who made the comments about how aggression and not asking for consent are a-ok so I'm not sure why you're upset unless you hold the same opinions?
Venkman

Postby liisgo » Jan 24th, 2019, 4:51 pm

KiloHotel wrote:
But I guess I'm just a snowflake for objecting to being patronized and told rough housing and being sexually forward is toxic, among other things.. Being sexually forward, or aggressive as I suppose you could call it is part of being a man, I'm not talking unwelcome touching or rape or any of that reprehensible conduct.. But my god, you can't even have spontaneous sex anymore without fear of a rape charge.. No woman wants to be asked if she wants to have sex, I've been told I'm being too forward for trying to get consent, and told to be spontaneous by multiple women.. That's a catch 22 right there, how in the hell do you do both at the same time?

Obviously walking a fine line here... I just don't think women see what they are doing to men with 3rd wave feminism, or maybe they just hate men? Are they too self centered and short sighted to care? I dunno, just how I feel. If that's me being a snowflake, then that's cool I guess.

BTW Landm I take back my rude comment I made toward you out of anger, it's just frustrating how complex the simplest things in life are getting these days, and having people call you a snowflake for expressing your discontent.

Hey, Kilohotel, you do not need to apologize to anyone. Thats the point. We are no more toxic than everyone else within a group, race or gender. Society has adapted any type of bashing the hell out of one and only one group and you are part of that group. Calling people, snowflakes, if you are challenged by this commercial is almost to comical. Kinda of the opposite one would think, but the snowflakes are getting a little defensive now a days for losing their masculinity. :biggrin:

sobrohusfat likes this post.
liisgo
Fledgling

Liked in: 175 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns