Gillette's Commercial

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Gillette's Commercial

Postby Ka-El » Jan 19th, 2019, 10:29 am

ifwisheswerehorses wrote: On a separate note: some men here on castenet are tired of being generalized and lumped into one category but then turn around and lump women all together. To the men that do that 'you all are hypocrites' and your opinions are starting to mean nothing.

It’s pretty clear that violence against women in this country is still a very real issue. Just check with someone who works with the Courts in any way and ask much Court, Crown and police time is used up in investigating and prosecuting these matters (domestic and sexual violence) – and that is just part of the cost to society. No, not all men are like this, and the efforts to keep this discussion (“it’s not all right”) going are aimed both at the men who are still deflecting ("women are manipulative", "men get raped in prison") and making excuses for this type of behavior, as well as those who don’t make excuses with the aim of adding their voices to that message. Good men should have no issue with this. What is interesting is seeing the excuse-making and deflections by some men who seem to want everyone to pretend this is a non-issue.
You know our educational system is failing us when we have posters who
think liberals are “far left”, and conservatives are “kind of in the middle”

4 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6485 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 19th, 2019, 10:57 am

Catsumi wrote:OT would never bother digging a post hole. (Wimpy powderpuff stuff). Just slam in the railroad tie 24" deep.

lengthwise, of course. [icon_lol2.gif]

At least 3 feet deep. That's if there are no rocks in the way.
Square hole, tamped in with gravel, sand water....hit it with a D10 Cat and it's not going anywhere.
BTW....railway ties are no more than100- 150lbs.
Way to old now to pull off that BS now.

If there are any single women out there that have built a buffalo corral....send pics of corral.
I'll show you mine if you show me yours.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.

2 people like this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1297 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 19th, 2019, 12:20 pm

LANDM wrote:As long as they gain more through extra sales and extra exposure, who cares if they lose the powderpuff snowflakes who couldn’t handle the ad.

As I said, it’s genius. There are certain sectors of society that are so predictable and malleable that marketers love it. This one targeted the naysayers perfectly without them even realizing it. One read of the original post basically was on page one of their marketing report. Pure genius.

I wouldn't go nearly as far as calling it "genius". It's an ad campaign, nothing more. If it's successful or not, time will tell.

Theres no question that Gillette sales have dropped over the years with the onslaught of much cheaper competitors such as DSC, Harry's, safety/straight razors, etc. Gillette responded by making their own shave "club" where you can order online and have them delivered to your door. Then they advertised that you don't need to switch out blades as often. Then they brought out their somewhat cheaper "Gillette 3 and 5" brand. Also, they went into a partnership with The Art of Shaving and opened up some stores/salons to tap into the higher end market.

Shaving has become a big business over the last several years, and even though Gillette has always been more expensive than its competitors like Schick and Bic, but compared to the new competition, Gillette has effectively become too expensive and lost a lot of customers over the years.

I doubt that Gillette will honestly gain all those customers back with this current ad campaign, the number of customers buying Gillette products because of the ad is probably pretty close to the same amount of guys that actually drop the brand because of the ad.
"Listen, I'm a politician which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops. But it also means I keep my options open."
- Jeffrey Pelt: The Hunt for Red October
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3921 posts

Postby LANDM » Jan 19th, 2019, 3:03 pm

OKkayak wrote:
LANDM wrote:As long as they gain more through extra sales and extra exposure, who cares if they lose the powderpuff snowflakes who couldn’t handle the ad.

As I said, it’s genius. There are certain sectors of society that are so predictable and malleable that marketers love it. This one targeted the naysayers perfectly without them even realizing it. One read of the original post basically was on page one of their marketing report. Pure genius.

I wouldn't go nearly as far as calling it "genius". It's an ad campaign, nothing more. If it's successful or not, time will tell.

Theres no question that Gillette sales have dropped over the years with the onslaught of much cheaper competitors such as DSC, Harry's, safety/straight razors, etc. Gillette responded by making their own shave "club" where you can order online and have them delivered to your door. Then they advertised that you don't need to switch out blades as often. Then they brought out their somewhat cheaper "Gillette 3 and 5" brand. Also, they went into a partnership with The Art of Shaving and opened up some stores/salons to tap into the higher end market.

Shaving has become a big business over the last several years, and even though Gillette has always been more expensive than its competitors like Schick and Bic, but compared to the new competition, Gillette has effectively become too expensive and lost a lot of customers over the years.

I doubt that Gillette will honestly gain all those customers back with this current ad campaign, the number of customers buying Gillette products because of the ad is probably pretty close to the same amount of guys that actually drop the brand because of the ad.

I’m claiming it is genius because of the response. Any time you get this many people talking about an ad campaign, that is positive. When it generates dozens of responses on a little Canadian Internet forum based in the Okanagan, imagine what the powderpuffs in NRA country are doing. :laugh: :laugh:

Shaving has hardly "become a big business over the last several years".....it’s been a huge business for a long long time and has created huge companies and huge wealth for shareholders. It is simply continuing to do that. With a shifting landscape as with other businesses.

I don’t believe Gillette is looking so much at the instant gain or loss vs thinking about the exposure.

The loss of the snowflakes who are busy worrying themselves about whether they are still considered a "real man" is not of a concern. Anyone that is so concerned about their image that they would refuse to buy from a company based on an ad is someone who is not a strong demographic to a company.

It’s who talks about it and doesn’t leave that is important, in addition to anyone else just talking about it.
You can’t buy that type of exposure.

Look at the powderpuff snowflakes who said Nike would die off because of their recent ads. Didn’t happen. A lot of the exact same demographics probably......

Ka-El likes this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4379 posts

Postby fvkasm2x » Jan 19th, 2019, 4:51 pm

The problem I have with the ad is 2 fold:

1) I don't want companies making social commentary and acting "holier than thou."

It's a group of people who make a ton of money, sitting in a board room talking about how they can make MORE money and get media attention.

That's it. They don't care about ANY of the issues. They care about their jobs and money.

It's like pretending Nike actually cares about racism and police brutality when they made the Colin Kaepernick ad. Oh, you care about racism... but not making billions by using sweat shops, child labor and other rights violations overseas?

Give me a break.

2. The ad tries to pigeon hole everyone from previous generations into 1 mold.

"The stereotypical man" that is my age, my dad's age and my grandpa's age are all bad. We grew up thinking boys didn't wear pink. That boys didn't cry. That we should play sports and not dance around in a tutu. That dad worked hard and got the big piece of chicken at dinner. That's what I was taught and my father before him.

That means we're all bullies and sexual predators? My parents and grandparents were bad? They raised us all wrong?

As we age, we evolve. We learn. We grow. We realize that moms work just as hard, if not harder. That women can do anything they want in life. That they (and EVERYONE) needs to be treated with respect and kindness.

I'm terrible at "guy stuff" like fixing cars or working with wood. I know tons of women better at that than me. I like to read. I like classical music. I still like sports, violence and view women as sex objects (when appropriate). I like steak, rum and beer.

You can grow up raised "as a man" and still respect women, teach your kids manners, etc.... We don't need a stupid ad to tell us that.

At the end of the day, bullies are bullies. Rapists are rapists. Bad people are bad people. That has NOTHING to do with gender differences and the issues presented in this ad. It's a cop out intended to play on societal issues. Just like the rich jerks in the board room intended. Way to give them what they want.

Ka-El wrote: Good men should have no issue with this. What is interesting is seeing the excuse-making and deflections by some men who seem to want everyone to pretend this is a non-issue.

But there are probably MILLIONS of good men in the US and Canada that were raised like the "bad" people in this ad and still understand that violence against women and/or bullying, sexism is wrong.

I felt like this labeled everyone of those people incorrectly.

Letting your boys rough house and raising them strong doesn't mean they turn into cro-magnon thugs
Last edited by fvkasm2x on Jan 20th, 2019, 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

6 people like this post.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Liked in: 1526 posts

Postby normaM » Jan 19th, 2019, 5:47 pm

Nikes sales increased over 30%, I agree with Landm that Gilette's ad was genius marketing.
I suppose now all ads wll have some " social " msg.

Imagine if the Brick does one.
If onion rings are wrong I don't wanna be right

2 people like this post.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 5782 posts

Postby Queen K » Jan 19th, 2019, 7:47 pm

Like I say, it's a good thing we don't go back in time to punish bad advertising from yesteryear.

Like this Molson Ad.

You have to click on the middle link :-X :-X

And I swear to God that's OldTrucker crawling on the floor.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.

2 people like this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15255 posts

Postby OKkayak » Jan 20th, 2019, 12:42 am

normaM wrote:Nikes sales increased over 30%, I agree with Landm that Gilette's ad was genius marketing.

Nah, Dollar Shave Club, now thats Genius. Started in 2011 and 5 years later sold for $1 billion :biggrin:
"Listen, I'm a politician which means I'm a cheat and a liar, and when I'm not kissing babies I'm stealing their lollipops. But it also means I keep my options open."
- Jeffrey Pelt: The Hunt for Red October
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3921 posts

Postby LANDM » Jan 20th, 2019, 6:27 am

OKkayak wrote:
normaM wrote:Nikes sales increased over 30%, I agree with Landm that Gilette's ad was genius marketing.

Nah, Dollar Shave Club, now thats Genius. Started in 2011 and 5 years later sold for $1 billion :biggrin:

Of course it is. But they aren’t mutually exclusive.
Luckily there can be a plethora of genius ideas out there. Or none.
LANDM
Guru

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 20th, 2019, 1:15 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Jan 21st, 2019, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inappropriate!
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1297 posts

Postby Glacier » Jan 21st, 2019, 7:01 am

“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12282 posts

Postby Ka-El » Jan 21st, 2019, 8:50 am

fvkasm2x wrote: You can grow up raised "as a man" and still respect women, teach your kids manners, etc.... We don't need a stupid ad to tell us that.

Yes, we can grow up raised "as a man" and still respect women, teach your kids manners, etc., and many if not most of us realize that and don’t need an ad to tell us. However, given the energy displayed by the men who seemingly want us to continue deflecting from the issue and/or not acknowledge that such violence and abuse does still occur, it seems clear there is still work to do in breaking through that denial. The only thing necessary for violence against women to persist is for otherwise presumably good men to stand back and say nothing against it – or worse, try to spread the message it is a non-issue. As I’ve stated, anyone working with the Courts could easily tell us all otherwise.

My question would be, for any man raised to respect and value women, why the resistance for speaking up for them? Proclaiming abuse and violence against women is not acceptable does not mean you are saying all men abuse, and I have to question the defensiveness in men who seem to take it this way. Violence against women is still a very real issue in our society, and as men we are either part of the problem (persisting attitudes, defensiveness and deflection) or we are part of the solution. Motives of the marketers aside, this topic is not going away nor should it. As long as men are violating women (and it would be grossly naïve not to recognize this is still happening and in our communities), then we need men to continue saying this is not all right. That’s what a real man would do.

4 people like this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Postby LANDM » Jan 21st, 2019, 9:22 am

Ka-El wrote:
fvkasm2x wrote: You can grow up raised "as a man" and still respect women, teach your kids manners, etc.... We don't need a stupid ad to tell us that.

Yes, we can grow up raised "as a man" and still respect women, teach your kids manners, etc., and many if not most of us realize that and don’t need an ad to tell us. However, given the energy displayed by the men who seemingly want us to continue deflecting from the issue and/or not acknowledge that such violence and abuse does still occur, it seems clear there is still work to do in breaking through that denial. The only thing necessary for violence against women to persist is for otherwise presumably good men to stand back and say nothing against it – or worse, try to spread the message it is a non-issue. As I’ve stated, anyone working with the Courts could easily tell us all otherwise.

My question would be, for any man raised to respect and value women, why the resistance for speaking up for them? Proclaiming abuse and violence against women is not acceptable does not mean you are saying all men abuse, and I have to question the defensiveness in men who seem to take it this way. Violence against women is still a very real issue in our society, and as men we are either part of the problem (persisting attitudes, defensiveness and deflection) or we are part of the solution. Motives of the marketers aside, this topic is not going away nor should it. As long as men are violating women (and it would be grossly naïve not to recognize this is still happening and in our communities), then we need men to continue saying this is not all right. That’s what a real man would do.

Very good point.
When I see the OP's one and only response before melting like a snowflake in the sun:

Popeye69 wrote:Wow thought I'd get a few men's responses before a feminist showed up. But..this is castanet. I shouldn't of been surprised I guess lol

....it makes it clear that it is a bit much of a stretch, both grammatically and mentally, to handle anything that offends the overly fragile sense of being manly. The sheer fear of being in the virtual presence of the dreaded "feminist".

But he is right....he "shouldn’t of" been surprised. He should *have* been surprised (but wouldn’t have been) if there were a constant stream of posts with 100% saying as he did......that they will ensure that they and their sons take their business elsewhere. I would have been surprised if that happened.

But it didn’t. The "stupid ad" has created 7 pages of comment in a very short time here. Gillette wins.

3 people like this post.
LANDM
Guru

Postby Ka-El » Jan 21st, 2019, 9:45 am

The 2019 Moose Hide Campaign's provincial gathering and day of fasting takes place in Victoria at the Victoria Conference Centre on Feb. 13. The Moose Hide Campaign is a grassroots movement of Indigenous and non-Indigenous men and boys who are helping to create a safer world for women and children. Founded by Raven and Paul Lacerte in 2011, the campaign is an opportunity for people to show their commitment to ending violence by wearing a Moose Hide pin, fasting for the day, and attending the various events happening across the province.

The Moose Hide Campaign is a grassroots movement of Indigenous and non-Indigenous men and boys who are standing up against violence towards women and children.

Wearing this moose hide signifies your commitment to honour, respect, and protect the women and children in your life and to work together to end violence against women and children.

https://www.moosehidecampaign.ca/
Ka-El
Guru

Postby liisgo » Jan 21st, 2019, 10:56 am

. However, given the energy displayed by the men who seemingly want us to continue deflecting from the issue and/or not acknowledge that such violence and abuse does still occur,"Im reading these posts and do not see all these people here deflecting from the issue of violence and abuse, Any one can see thats not the case" it seems clear there is still work to do in breaking through that denial. "Can you post all the examples of someone actually saying abuse and violence doenst happen"The only thing necessary for violence against women to persist is for otherwise presumably good men to stand back and say nothing against it – or worse, try to spread the message it is a non-issue. As I’ve stated, anyone working with the Courts could easily tell us all otherwise. So then your aware that the majority of Prisoners in the USA are of a certain color, and your in support of an ad with all the actors being of this color and telling them that they can do better? Your OK with this, wow.

My question would be, for any man raised to respect and value women, why the resistance for speaking up for them? And again, please show the examples of all the reistance for speaking up against them. Maybe your missing what the beef is here. Violence against women is still a very real issue in our society, and as men we are either part of the problem (persisting attitudes, defensiveness and deflection) or we are part of the solution.You do realize this is not just a bad behavior of men but women as well. You do realize that women kill, that women abuse etc etc? Is it a numbers game we are playing here?
Maybe some education is needed. You know that the highest percentage of abuse in relationships is actually with in same sex, female, relationships?

Look, what millions are seeing, is something very far off from what you are trying to spread here.
Try to find a single example in today's media where a major corp. has an ad, depicting one race, religion sex, telling them to clean up there act, outside of this one.
The reason people are speaking out is because for some reason with in this society, it has now become mainstream to constantly challenge one particular sex and race. And a very large part of society has somehow been brainwashed to stand upon their soap box that they believe they have climb up themselves.
What is very alarming is that some, cant even see through their own weak, society, brainwashed thinking.
No, men are not challenging violence not being real, they are challenging something else that would take way too much time and energy to get some to understand.
Last edited by ferri on Jan 21st, 2019, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Quotes removed.
liisgo
Fledgling

Liked in: 234 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns