Landlord showing unit for new tenant

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Landlord showing unit for new tenant

Postby Always Sunny » Jan 21st, 2019, 8:49 pm

I hope someone can help me clarify what I’ve read so far.

I’ve given my landlord sufficent notice that I’ll be vacating by 3/1/19. They’re currently getting my feedback on the ad they plan to post for potential new tenants. Right now he plans to post this weekend.

Since I’m in the midst of packing the place is in absolute shambles, but I did send him a ton of photos from when I moved in and had very minimal belongings cluttering the place. I’m also gone a lot for work, which makes it tricky if/when they start showing the place.

Obviously a potential tenant wants to see the place in person. Everything I seem to see online simply goes back to the “24 hours written notice” thing, but nothing states a reasonable time prior to vacating the unit.

What I mean is, I have roughly 40 days before I leave...is there an “acceptable” timeframe prior to my departure to show the unit? Like a month before? Two week before? As I mentioned it’s a gong show right now, and honestly an embarrassment to show a new tenant.

I’m just wondering if it’s reasonable to request “no physical showing until February 14th” or something to this effect. Or do I have a say? I don’t want a constant parade of strangers in my place, particularly when my life in literally laid out all over the place organizing this move.

Thanks!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1233 posts

Re: Landlord showing unit for new tenant

Postby oneh2obabe » Jan 21st, 2019, 9:23 pm

Most, but not all landlords, will wait until the unit is vacant before showing to prospective tenants.

If you're on good terms with the landlord and they agree, I don't see a problem with requesting they wait until a specific date before showing. I'd also ask them to limit the number of viewings per week as you're working while packing.

On the other hand, who is responsible if a prospective tenant accidentally breaks a lamp, vase, etc. or dings your furniture while viewing the unit? And who will be responsible if something goes missing?
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Always Sunny likes this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 6576 posts

Postby Always Sunny » Jan 21st, 2019, 10:08 pm

oneh2obabe wrote:Most, but not all landlords, will wait until the unit is vacant before showing to prospective tenants.

If you're on good terms with the landlord and they agree, I don't see a problem with requesting they wait until a specific date before showing. I'd also ask them to limit the number of viewings per week as you're working while packing.

On the other hand, who is responsible if a prospective tenant accidentally breaks a lamp, vase, etc. or dings your furniture while viewing the unit? And who will be responsible if something goes missing?

I’d certainly prefer to be out of there before any showings happen if I had the choice. Naturally they want as little time between as possible. But if I’m paying for the whole month of February, I also don’t want my life disrupted by showings.

I understood when the house was up for sale a while back, obviously we’re all going to be living there while people need to see it. But when it comes to vacating and having a new tenant come in, I wasn’t sure if there were specific rules to showing the place while you’re still in it.

I’m not sure what the actual deal is, but I’ve heard a landlord should realistically budget a months worth of rent to compensate for tenant turnaround, painting, etc.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Catsumi » Jan 21st, 2019, 10:43 pm

Just a thought. He has to give 24 or 48 hours notice to enter your premises, right, wrong? If you have that heads up AND make it contingent on your being in attendance while new tenant looks around, would that help? Would he cooperate with you and keep showings to a minimum?
Make the Cdn wet dream come true. Vote MAD MAX

Like a plague, JT must go!

Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3467 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Jan 21st, 2019, 10:50 pm

If you don't find a way around the problem and your place is going to be shown without you there...
Get someone you trust to be there if you can't be there. If you can't do that, go get a lower
cost dash cam with a motion sensor just in case that lamp is broken or something goes missing.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing.

oldtrucker
Übergod

Liked in: 838 posts

Postby Always Sunny » Jan 22nd, 2019, 8:05 am

oldtrucker wrote:If you don't find a way around the problem and your place is going to be shown without you there...
Get someone you trust to be there if you can't be there. If you can't do that, go get a lower
cost dash cam with a motion sensor just in case that lamp is broken or something goes missing.

I get what you’re saying about a camera, but with the purchase of a place, paying overlapping rent/mortgage to ensure I have the time, and moving costs, even a cheaper camera isn’t in my budget. Incurring more personal costs to make it more convenient for them doesn’t feel very fair. But I appreciate the suggestion.

I think I’ll stick to requiring a minimum 24 hours notice AND needing to be there during visits. As oneh2obabe mentioned, most landlord wait until you vacate to show and since I plan to be out a bit before the end of the month, I think that might be a fair compromise.

My concern was a bit more with their rights as a landlord and mine as a tenant. When are they allowed to show the place and what are my rights given I’m still paying to live there.

Thanks for the input all!
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Catsumi » Jan 22nd, 2019, 8:22 am

Your move is within the Okanagan or further afield ?

I ask as would hate to lose you posting here.

Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby mexi cali » Jan 22nd, 2019, 8:26 am

Catsumi wrote:Your move is within the Okanagan or further afield ?

If only the internet reached beyond the Okanagan.... :D
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

4 people like this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 3785 posts

Postby Fancy » Jan 22nd, 2019, 8:31 am

Think the act makes it clear as to what is required:

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/hous ... d-s-access
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6709 posts

Postby Catsumi » Jan 22nd, 2019, 8:34 am

mexi cali wrote:

If only the internet reached beyond the Okanagan.... :D

Haha. You are right.

I need coffee.

mexi cali likes this post.
Catsumi
Lord of the Board

Postby LANDM » Jan 22nd, 2019, 8:53 am

24 hour notice is all that is required. Period.

Why not just agree with him to have tenant showings between a certain time on certain days?

You do not have to leave. Who cares if the place is in a shambles from moving? That is normal.

I realize you would not *like* this, but that has nothing to do with it. Just as you have rights, so does the landlord. It doesn’t only work one way.
Keep it friendly and cooperative and that always works out best for all. If either of you turn into prîcks, it can only be worse.

2 people like this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3654 posts

Postby Always Sunny » Jan 22nd, 2019, 1:39 pm

Within the Okanagan :)

Thank you Fancy, the literature I was seeing was pretty vague on "access" but was consistent with the 24 hours. This is the first time I see prospective new tenants mentioned so I'm comfortable with discussing the 24 hour heads up with them.

The one bit that makes me a little uncomfortable is the "tenant does not have to be present". There's a difference in my trust between my landlord of 8 years and a stranger off the internet. I know most people should be decent but I'd prefer to be there.

I'll discuss with them a certain date range and that I want to be there. Being away a lot is tough. When the house was up for sale (multiple times) I'd get a text "they want to see the house at 3pm"...great, but it's 1:30pm already and I'm still in Cranbrook.

I really just wanted to ensure I was being reasonable in my request without block their access.

That said, I'm still wondering what timeline is reasonable for moving out March 1st. Can you show it daily starting tomorrow as long as they give 24 hours notice? Or is two weeks prior to vacancy more reasonable? My main ask is not to have people coming in and out for the next 40 days. I don't see anything clarifying how that works, if there are rules at all.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Fancy » Jan 22nd, 2019, 1:43 pm

I know of other circumstances that as soon as the landlord knew the tenant was leaving, the place was being shown. If you have a good rapport with your landlord he'll probably be receptive to your terms. They only want to get the place rented so it doesn't sit empty at all.
Fancy this, Fancy that and by the way, T*t for Tat
Fancy
Grand Pilgrim

Liked in: 6709 posts

Postby LANDM » Jan 22nd, 2019, 1:56 pm

Always Sunny wrote:
I really just wanted to ensure I was being reasonable in my request without block their access.

That said, I'm still wondering what timeline is reasonable for moving out March 1st. Can you show it daily starting tomorrow as long as they give 24 hours notice? Or is two weeks prior to vacancy more reasonable? My main ask is not to have people coming in and out for the next 40 days. I don't see anything clarifying how that works, if there are rules at all.

Please reread my response for an accurate answer.
The landlord is allowed access upon 24 hr notice. Period.
So, the answers to your questions are:
Yes
No
Your ask is meaningless. There are concrete rules for both sides.
Read my previous sugggestion about sorting out something that works for both.

The landlord needs to find a tenant. The landlord has rights, you have obligations, and vice versa.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 3654 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Jan 22nd, 2019, 2:15 pm

24hr notice is all that's required.
The new tenant moving in I presume will give proper notice also and the day you leave a new person will likely be on your heels.
I've been the property owner and the renter and I find what I preferred in both cases is to have it rented as soon as humanly possible so as an owner I can be relieved and as a renter i could get on with boxing stuff up without interruption.
jimmy4321
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2014 posts

Next

Return to Social Concerns