Landlord showing unit for new tenant

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Always Sunny
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Landlord showing unit for new tenant

Post by Always Sunny »

soupy that sounds extremely reasonable and most practical for all involved.

Unfortunately, from what I’m hearing however, since I don’t need to be there for my landlord to enter my unit, legally they can enter every single day from now until I move out without me being present, so long as 24 hours notice is given. I realize the landlord has rights, absolutely, but there’s nothing protecting a current tenant from constant visits.

Honestly, I was hoping for something written to state that a landlord may show the unit for X days in advance of availability, X amount of times per week, or in your case a dedicated window/weekend to show. And from there we could work out a reasonable schedule.
MAPearce
Buddha of the Board

Post by MAPearce »

Honestly, I was hoping for something written to state that a landlord may show the unit for X days in advance of availability, X amount of times per week, or in your case a dedicated window/weekend to show. And from there we could work out a reasonable schedule.

Yeah .. sounds good but that won't happen..

As long as it's landlords market , they'll cherry pick for the best to the last possible second ...
Liberalism is a disease like cancer.. Once you get it , you can't get rid of it .
jimmy4321
Guru

Post by jimmy4321 »

That would be cool but the moment you give your notice the focus is on the new tenant.
Maybe as a compromise you could request that they give you a window of time when it can be shown in "addition" to the 24hr notice. That way as an example after 7pm it's over and you can chill out and pack or whatever.

You might find the landlord has only a few hrs a day he can show it anyway like 5-7
Last edited by jimmy4321 on Jan 22nd, 2019, 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soupy
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by soupy »

Or just leave the place a disaster if they want to show when you aren't around.

Maybe they will get the picture
LANDM
Walks on Forum Water

Post by LANDM »

Always Sunny wrote:Unfortunately, from what I’m hearing however, since I don’t need to be there for my landlord to enter my unit, legally they can enter every single day from now until I move out without me being present, so long as 24 hours notice is given. I realize the landlord has rights, absolutely, but there’s nothing protecting a current tenant from constant visits.

Instead of worrying about the theoretical maximum that it could be done, just set it up do you have a bit of control and it works for both yourself and the owner.

You are simply repeating yourself and working yourself into a tizzy over nothing.
You and 71 others Like this post
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Put important valuables in a box labeled something like... ‘breast pump’, or ‘Fifi’s ashes’.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
t76turbo
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by t76turbo »

As a landlord and property manager here is what I’ve always done.
Once I’ve received notice that a tenant was vacating I generally post a rental ad within days. Being in said business for over 20 years, it has been rare that I actually get proper notice. Having said that I’ve generally always gotten along with my tenants, give and take!
So once I’m on phone with new perspective tenants I’ll start a list as to when a viewing would be possible. In today’s market perspective tenants will try their hardest to make the viewing window that’s generally tailored to the previous tenant. Generally after work hours for whatever given time that works out to be. It can get a little complicated.

I’ll stagger viewing within 10 minutes for something like a 2 hour window. I don’t mind if old tenant remains on property. I’ll take one party in at a time ( usually there’s a lot of interest and people lined up). This way I’m always next to or within view of viewing party. I treat my tenants space as my own, you pull your shoes when you come in, you don’t touch personal property and you look with your eyes. Nothing has ever been broken or damaged in all my years doing this.

Ask your landlord to set up time that works for him/her and yourself. Stay there if you’d like. If you can’t the onas is on your landlord to protect your property. If you had a good relationship, that will continue till you hand over the keys. And please leave the place as clean as you can. Nothing worse than cleaning up someone else’s mess. Have done plenty of that!
You never know if you ever need a reference.

I’ve given references years after tenants had left. Good and bad. I never forgot how tenants and I interacted even after many moons had passed
Last edited by t76turbo on Jan 22nd, 2019, 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I really like your post, just can’t find the button. I’m part of the fringe minority.
Defund the CBC? You bet, they are part of the spreading hate machine, protecting their captain!
69cutlass
Übergod

Post by 69cutlass »

t76turbo wrote:As a landlord and property manager here is what I’ve always done.
Once I’ve received notice that a tenant was vacating I generally post a rental add within days. Being in said business for over 20 years, it has been rare that I actually get proper notice. Having said that I’ve generally always gotten along with my tenants, give and take!
So once I’m on phone with new perspective tenants I’ll start a list as to when a viewing would be possible. In today’s market perspective tenants will try their hardest to make the viewing window that’s generally tailored to the previous tenant. Generally after work hours for whatever given time that works out to be. It can get a little complicated.

I’ll stagger viewing within 10 minutes for something like a 2 hour window. I don’t mind if old tenant remains on property. I’ll take one party in at a time ( usually there’s a lot of interest and people lined up). This way I’m always next to or within view of viewing party. I treat my tenants space as my own, you pull your shoes when you come in, you don’t touch personal property and you look with your eyes. Nothing has ever been broken or damaged in all my years doing this.

Ask your landlord to set up time that works for him/her and yourself. Stay there if you’d like. If you can’t the onas is on your landlord to protect your property. If you had a good relationship, that will continue till you hand over the keys. And please leave the place as clean as you can. Nothing worse than cleaning up someone else’s mess. Have done plenty of that!
You never know if you ever need a reference.

I’ve given references years after tenants had left. Good and bad. I never forgot how tenants and I interacted even after many moons had passed

Could not have said it any better. 100% correct
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

A few times in the past (including my most recent move two years ago), I gave myself a one-month overlap between my new lease and the end of my notice period - effectively renting two residences for a month. Upon giving my notice to my current-old landlord, I would indicate that I already have a new residence and suggest they can start showing an empty or mostly-empty house in a week. This has the added benefit of not having to move and clean an entire home in a half-day.

While I understand this isn't an option for some, it has served my family and I well.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.

Return to “Social Concerns”