Scam Calls

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Scam Calls

Postby Bsuds » Jan 31st, 2019, 11:16 am

I am really getting tired of Scam calls claiming to be from West Jet claiming my number was chosen blah, blah, blah.

I have had at least 4-5 in just the last few days and they all show coming from a different number.

They are calling my cell phone which is a pay as you go so it's really annoying if I forget to look at the number and answer.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13230 posts

Re: Scam Calls

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 31st, 2019, 11:21 am

Bsuds wrote:I am really getting tired of Scam calls claiming to be from West Jet claiming my number was chosen blah, blah, blah.

I have had at least 4-5 in just the last few days and they all show coming from a different number.

They are calling my cell phone which is a pay as you go so it's really annoying if I forget to look at the number and answer.

I was having the same issue. One night, I got called 5 times in less than 1 hour. My cel phone as well. This went on for 3 days. I tried blocking the number but, like you, they would just call from a different number.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4842 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 31st, 2019, 11:32 am

I get a barrage of these scam calls and texts.
From the RCMP, from the CRA, the latest one was from
CIBC saying card # ************4679 was compromised and I
needed to respond immediately.
I've never even set foot in a CIBC before let alone do any banking with them.

Even my laptop will suddenly flash a compromise, virus, malware alert.
Download this and enter your credit card #...to pay $ XX.xx, ya, no.

Do my own check and , nothing.
"Don't 'p' down my neck then tell me it's raining!"
dirtybiker
Guru

Liked in: 3822 posts

Postby GordonH » Jan 31st, 2019, 11:33 am

Bsuds wrote:I am really getting tired of Scam calls claiming to be from West Jet claiming my number was chosen blah, blah, blah.

Knock on wood I've had my current cell # for 10+ years without any telemarketers or scam calls. Can't say the same with the landline
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence

Merry likes this post.
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9073 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby OKkayak » Jan 31st, 2019, 12:26 pm

I rarely get scam calls. Quite disappointing. Having watched several Youtube videos, I've been kinda looking forward to getting one :biggrin:
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4909 posts

Postby Merry » Jan 31st, 2019, 12:33 pm

I get them on my landline, but they seem to come in spurts. I'll have a 2 week period where I'm getting one every day, and then nothing for a few weeks, and then it starts all over again.

Most of mine claimed to have been from the CRA, or the fraud squad, or Windows.

Fortunately I haven't had any on my cell yet.
Last edited by Merry on Jan 31st, 2019, 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 8648 posts

Postby my5cents » Jan 31st, 2019, 12:34 pm

I've experience the exact same thing, West Jet, 4 -5 in the last few days, all different numbers. Calling my cell.

Oh and I'm on the don't call list, that's been doing a lot of good.

Email from Apple Payments on Monday, "confirming my purchase, and if I didn't, then open the attached pdf file". Following day another from Apple "since you have OK'd the payment, it will be coming off, unless you open the pdf file" Both got thru the Shaw spam filter undetected.

I'm getting pretty sick of our police. "oh we can't do anything".

I wonder how they addressed policing of motor vehicles when they appeared on our roadways, "oh we can't do anything, we only have horses"

Wild West.

Feel sorry for the gullible who fall for this "bleep" and send money, (or bit coin) or buy iTune cards....

It all falls on our politicians.

RCMP Commissioner : "We can't investigate this type of crime it's too hard"
(a good politician) [ya I know I'm dreaming] : No problem, we understand. Pack up your "bleep" and we'll find someone who can, and thanks for your service.

Getting pretty sick of the situation with police in this country. Seems they only pay attention to murders, and traffic violations, and lately they haven't been doing much with traffic. Most murders are "AVA" (a-hole verses a-hole) sorta a problem taking care of itself.

Oh ya and the war on drugs. I think it's just about time to get out the white flag on that one.

But, then again, how hard do you want to work on a serious criminal offense when the courts hand out a small fine and probation.
Last edited by my5cents on Jan 31st, 2019, 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

dirtybiker likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1749 posts

Postby Merry » Jan 31st, 2019, 12:36 pm

I've had emails that are supposedly from Netflix, but as I don't subscribe to Netflix I just delete the emails without even opening them.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Guru

Liked in: 8648 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 31st, 2019, 12:38 pm

^^^^AHhhhhhh…..OHhhmmmmm….feel better now ?

Nice RANT.. :D

eta; 5cents

my5cents likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Postby Bsuds » Jan 31st, 2019, 12:42 pm

OKkayak wrote:I rarely get scam calls. Quite disappointing. Having watched several Youtube videos, I've been kinda looking forward to getting one :biggrin:

PM Me your phone # and I can fix that for you. :biggrin:
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

3 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13230 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 31st, 2019, 12:59 pm

I also called the RCMP fraud unit. They explained to me that; unless I have been a victim and paid money to them, no crime has been committed and they can't do anything.
"Do Not Call" lists, do not apply to foreign countries. This fact is further complicated by the scammers using VOIP.

I used to get lots of calls from "microsoft" until I started playing games with them when I was in the mood for it.
I would answer and transfer their call to the appropriate department, and put them on hold. If they were still there waiting after 1 minute, I would answer: RCMP Cyber Crimes Unit, how may I direct your call?
I had built up a number of different official sounding names and titles to deal with these calls.
I really like answering and then put the phone beside the TV and tune the TV to a cop show that I had recorded and ready to use, one with lots of gunfire and police performing hard take-downs.
The calls eventually stopped.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby my5cents » Jan 31st, 2019, 1:02 pm

dirtybiker wrote:^^^^AHhhhhhh…..OHhhmmmmm….feel better now ?

Nice RANT.. :D

eta; 5cents

Not really, I went on and ranted on the bus crash.

Thanks for your concern :up:
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

dirtybiker likes this post.
my5cents
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1749 posts

Postby dirtybiker » Jan 31st, 2019, 1:14 pm

^^Good thing your not at work today..I hope...
I need to do some errands that involve driving. [icon_lol2.gif]

my5cents likes this post.
dirtybiker
Guru

Postby one wheel » Jan 31st, 2019, 2:36 pm

I was on the "no call list" but the calls came anyway & that excuse "we can't do anything" along with well "just don't answer it" was too much for me.
IMO the reason it continues is because service providers & others are making lots of money doing this ?

What I did to solve this was I cancelled my TELUS account & got new unlisted numbers using different providers.
I don't fill out anything that want's my number & so far it's working. If it starts again I will change numbers because I refuse to pay for a phone for people to use harass me several times a week.
one wheel
Board Meister

Liked in: 512 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jan 31st, 2019, 2:46 pm

I have just received an email from Telus about activating an account to claim my rewards/discounts. I have not opened it and just called Telus to confirm that this is actually from them. I won't even hit the "unsubscribe" button until they call me back.

The wait time is about 30 minutes.
Time now is 13:47

I will report back with my results.
alanjh595
Guru

Next

Return to Social Concerns