Sexual harrasment/job loss

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Re: Sexual harrasment/job loss

Post by kgcayenne »

Look for another job, in the meantime, collect more and more data. After your probation at the new job, nail their hides to the wall with a formal complaint. Don't accept mediation, let it go all the way to an arbitration so it becomes public and they get the humiliation they deserve.

(I think I'm cranky today)
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

Definitely talk to a lawyer. This needs to stop

Highly recommend Kent Employment Law. Kimberly Darling. David Brown is excellent as well just going on the assumption a female may be more comfortable. Never hurts to have the consultation.

https://kentemploymentlaw.com/our-peopl ... y-darling/
gman313
Lord of the Board

Post by gman313 »

You can always anonymously report it to Worksafe BC as well.

You likely have a legitimate claim to be off work anyway. Screw the employer
Hassel99
Lord of the Board

Post by Hassel99 »

No need to protect an employer who is not making proactive strides to curb this behavior.

Get a lawyer
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

I'd burn that bridge to the ground. This behaviour needs to stop. Why should you be expected to tiptoe around people who treat you like this and fear for losing your employment? It's total *bleep*.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
TylerM4
Lord of the Board

Post by TylerM4 »

JLives wrote:I'd burn that bridge to the ground. This behaviour needs to stop. Why should you be expected to tiptoe around people who treat you like this and fear for losing your employment? It's total *bleep*.

Because she needs the job that's why. You need to look at reality not "should be".
The Green Barbarian
Insanely Prolific

Post by The Green Barbarian »

GrooveTunes wrote:Never trust your employer.

or a union.
"The woke narcissists who make up the progressive left are characterized by an absolute lack of such conscience, but are experts at exploiting its presence in others." - Jordan Peterson
tincanjam

Post by tincanjam »

Hassel99 wrote:No need to protect an employer who is not making proactive strides to curb this behavior.

Get a lawyer

A lot of great people on this board, nice to hear some different perspectives from the one i have been stuck in. Nice hearing of a situation with the treeguy where something was actually resolved. kgcayenne, gman, jlives and others sometimes i feel bad at the thought of going on the offense but yes they deserve it and I appreciate having the thought reinforced. Also nice to think of this as not necessarily just a normal part of people's worlds.
To start I will take the advice of contacting Kent Law. I will update you on what they say.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Apr 12th, 2019, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Personal attack
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Robert7461
Fledgling

Post by Robert7461 »

^ lol @ "she needs the job" so she should put up with being molested and bullied. Are we living in the 1800s and no one informed me?

OP - Stop working there and get a lawyer involved immediately. No amount of money is worth the psychological toll that molestation and abuse cause.
BCPickles
Fledgling

Post by BCPickles »

TylerM4 wrote:To be completely real here, your goal of "continuing to work this job harassment free" is unlikely while working for a small business.

If you've asked for it to stop and it hasn't, there's not much more you can do without burning bridges. I absolutely think you should get a lawyer involved and you should stand up for yourself, but you'll be unlikely to remain at the job. Hopefully it'll clear the way for the next female however....

It's true - some men are pigs. :sosorry:

Unfortunately it is not just men engaging in inappropriate behaviours.

I worked wearing a kilt for years and anytime I was working in a public place I would be sexually harassed by a number of women. A co-worker had an older woman grab his *bleep* on his first day.

While I was banking I often heard women speaking of men and about things that were completely inappropriate. I could give endless other examples.

This is a human issue, both sexes need to take a look at how they act and stop assuming righteousness. When we think we are in the right is when we are capable of doing the most wrong.
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

TylerM4 wrote:Because she needs the job that's why. You need to look at reality not "should be".

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/programs/ei/ei-list/reports/digest/chapter-6/circumstances-reflected-legislation.html#a6_5_2

Probably requires a level of due-diligence prior to taking that action, but there is a legitimate safety-net available.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

tincanjam wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:You might try this as well.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/law-c ... ssment.pdf

From what I understand, that after you file a complaint, you become a "protected person", and the employer can't take any action against you.

This is some really great information. Here is another question. I am thinking that if I show them the evidence I have they will back off but I worry that if I don't file a complaint I will loose the leverage it gives me and in the long term there hostility will have increased. Either way I worry that eventually they will merely find another way to get at me. I somewhat feel like it might be a loose loose (lose lose)situation leading me to look for other work.

Your time with this company is over. Your employer has had the chance to resolve the situation but has chosen not to. You know where you stand with him or her.

Peckerheads like him or her need to be shut down. The guys who are doing the harassing need to be beat down but in any event, this needs to stop.

I can only imagine the type of person your boss is and I really dislike people like him or her.

If you decide to have another conversation with him or her, have your phone on record. Protect yourself and make sure that you have as much evidence as you can so when you leave, you can wrap it all around their necks and at least get some restitution.

Start looking for another job.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
36Drew
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by 36Drew »

tincanjam wrote:I had spoken to my employer several times without resolution but I have not yet told him that I have evidence and am trying to decide what I should do?

As others have suggested, you've already done the first step in bringing this up with your employer (I'm assuming company owner and/or HR, not just your supervisor). If you haven't spoken with whomever is in charge of HR - that's your first stop. If you've already done this, then you need to file a complaint with Worksafe. If your harassment is interfering with your wellbeing, then you have grounds to either take leave or to quite - and then collect EI while you are pursuing other work.

If your employer fires you for filing a complaint or a claim about harassment - particularly harassment that is documented and provable as you've claimed - then you really need to be speaking with a lawyer. In fact, you might just go ahead for that free 30-minute consultation. Such behaviour is so heavily frowned-upon that - depending upon your employer's size - could wind up shuttering his business after courts and lawyers have had their way with him.
I'd like to change your mind, but I don't have a fresh diaper.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

36Drew wrote:Such behaviour is so heavily frowned-upon that - depending upon your employer's size - could wind up shuttering his business after courts and lawyers have had their way with him.

That doesn't even account for the toll public opinion would take on the business if it reached the point of being public information.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Return to “Social Concerns”