Rude phone service at crime stoppers

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Majortom13333

Rude phone service at crime stoppers

Post by Majortom13333 »

Someone I know phoned the crime stoppers unit in kelowna today to report a suspect vehicle. Said vehicle has recently been reported on castanet involving a schoolbus. This hit and run vehicle on Froelich rd in kelowna... Just by the way.

Crime stoppers unfortunately has anything but avid and friendly service. What was recieved was quick speaking woman with a bad attitude. A report could barely get made without being cutoff, she did not get a case file, or a recieve promised call back. At this point we arent sure if the culprit has been reported adequetly or if the crime stoppers unit is capable of handling any reports on upcoming crimes in the future. Its no wonder crime is increasing in kelowna with this service.
Relentless
Grand Pooh-bah

Re: Rude phone service at crime stoppers

Post by Relentless »

I have been using Crime stoppers for 2 decades, it has gotten so bad in the last year that I am convinced that my information doesn't go anywhere because I rarely get a response back from them. This is via the online Tip reporting page, as I quit phoning it in because I lost trust in those on the other end of the line.
Crimestoppers may very well be a failing system, much like the Community Policing Offices and vehicles that are supposed to be patrolling to accomplish something, but yet shut down at the time when issues start.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

I lost all respect for Crime Stoppers after someone came to my door with a Crime Stoppers nylon wind breaker and a lanyard saying Crime Stoppers, trying to sell me some promotional coupons (I think). A few questions revealed that the person was a paid employee of a marketing company soliciting for Crime Stoppers.

Like the other contributors, I called CS many years ago and got the same reception, I was made to feel like I was the criminal.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

my suggestion.. call the NON-emergency line. it works.
SexySadie

Post by SexySadie »

Lately!!! There’s a guy that’s still on Crime stoppers that is free on the streets and everyone at WCB knows where he is. Over 8 years ago I had this guy phone a business looking for his T4. I got his address, phone number etc. and called Crime-stoppers immediately. After giving all that information to them they told me I’d have to phone the nearest RCMP in his area. Of course we went back and forth verbally over what purpose they served. To this day his face still looks back at me as a wanted man on Crime stoppers.
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

Majortom13333 wrote:Someone I know phoned the crime stoppers unit in kelowna today to report a suspect vehicle. Said vehicle has recently been reported on castanet involving a schoolbus. This hit and run vehicle on Froelich rd in kelowna... Just by the way.

Crime stoppers unfortunately has anything but avid and friendly service. What was recieved was quick speaking woman with a bad attitude. A report could barely get made without being cutoff, she did not get a case file, or a recieve promised call back. At this point we arent sure if the culprit has been reported adequetly or if the crime stoppers unit is capable of handling any reports on upcoming crimes in the future. Its no wonder crime is increasing in kelowna with this service.

just so you (everyone) knows...

Crimestoppers are for tips. You don't get a case file. That's done by the police, which I know might be confusing, but is not technically the same.

You also don't get calls back. It's for tips... not ongoing dialogue or updates.

If you want to be sure your information is taken a bit more seriously or feel the need to have ongoing relationships with the cops for some reason... call the non emergency line and ask for the officer in charge of the investigation. You'll likely be asked for your name and number and they'll call you if your information is worthwhile
tantor
Board Meister

Post by tantor »

Welcome to Kelowna where crime and stopping are 2 words that don't fit together. Come into work this morning to find a stolen bike on our property and a box of 100 syringes with a bunch of syringe wrappers inside. Our customers must just love seeing things like this. This city has become the wild west where the only laws enforced are bi-laws on homeowners and parking tickets.
my5cents
Guru

Post by my5cents »

Majortom13333 wrote:Someone I know phoned the crime stoppers unit in kelowna today to report a suspect vehicle. Said vehicle has recently been reported on castanet involving a schoolbus. This hit and run vehicle on Froelich rd in kelowna... Just by the way.

I'm not a Crime Stoppers fan, but realized there is a need for same.

I don't think you understand. Crime Stoppers is NOT the police. If you or "someone you know" has information for the police that doesn't need to be provided anonymously, call the police yourself (cut out the middle man). Why call a private agency, who will obtain your information and then pass it on to the police ? Tell the police.

Crime Stoppers is intended to service those who have valuable information, likely because they are close to the actual suspect, that don't want to be identified. This way there is no fear that it will discovered that you ratted out your brother in law (for example).

As for not receiving any reference number (NOT a police file number, they aren't the police), that doesn't make sense because the whole reason to call Crime Stoppers for some is to obtain a reward. Although having said that, a "tip" such as, "There was a hit and run involving a red car with a blue hood, and I saw the car driving by the plate number is ######", isn't really the reason we have Crime Stoppers.
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it"

Return to “Social Concerns”