How to get a job in 2019

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: How to get a job in 2019

Post by Silverstarqueen »

Regarding gentleman's video above: Certainly more woman than in the past are achieving university or college level qualifications (40%), which is fine, half the university doctorates going to women, also good, and a sign that females are making gains in this area generally (considering that nowadays the alternative could be a minimum wage job, or no job). Some areas there is still a ways to go before women will be represented in proportion to their numbers in the overall population, but I see no reason why this also will not occur in the near future: "In 2016, for the first time, women accounted for slightly over half (50.6%) of young Canadians (aged 25 to 34) with an earned doctorate. They accounted for the majority of young graduates with an earned doctorate in many fields, including education, social and behavioural sciences and law, health and related fields, visual and performing arts and communication technologies, and humanities. However, women still made up less than half of young graduates with an earned doctorate in fields such as architecture, engineering, and related technologies, mathematics, computer and information sciences, and physical and life sciences and technologies."

Now if this can be accomplished on the basis of male/female gender, I see no reason why it won't also be achieved on the basis of say ethnicity, many immigrants have reasonably good educational qualifications when they arrive in this country. Getting those qualifications recognized by our institutions still seems to be a sticking point, and would be a good area for attention to be focussed.
I don't know what this guy is afraid of, a program which aims to "remove systemic barriers" to becoming more diverse and inclusive and "provide equal opportunities" to minorities. Why? because his research grant wasn't supported? I guess he didn't meet the criteria of excellence that is called for these days, and his ethnicity didn't save him from that.
Glacier
The Pilgrim

Post by Glacier »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Now if this can be accomplished on the basis of male/female gender, I see no reason why it won't also be achieved on the basis of say ethnicity, many immigrants have reasonably good educational qualifications when they arrive in this country. Getting those qualifications recognized by our institutions still seems to be a sticking point, and would be a good area for attention to be focussed.

But how far do you fractionate this down? What happens when you have too many Jewish lawyers or Asian/Chinese math majors? Do you discriminate against them until you have equal numbers of relative to the overall population? What if there's something genetic and/or cultural about the Chinese that causes them to more focused on math? Or Jews in law? Or Trump supporters in sewage sucking services?

Do we adjust for weight and height as well? What about for the athletics departments? Do we make sure that all the basketball players aren't tall black students?

What about subgroups of subgroups? What if we have a disproportionate number of First Nations students from Vancouver Island going into law but none from the Yukon? Do we ban future law students from the Island and accept every indigenous student from the Yukon?

What about income? What about disabilities? What about religion? Do we make sure that 2% of political science degrees go to Jehovah Witnesses? Do we make sure that 3% of gender queer studies students are Muslim?

What about people we have STIs? Do we allocate a number of spots for those with STIs? What about kids who grew up with a single parent? What about kids who were sexually abused? Do we get upset if sexual abuse victims end up choosing social work instead of carpentry? What about penis size? Do we make sure every department has an equal number of students with small penis'?

And the list goes on. Where do we stop?

Verum wrote:I get the feeling that you operate with a slightly (massively) different definition of what it is to be progressive than I, or any dictionary I have checked.

I know. It was a joke.
"No one has the right to apologize for something they did not do, and no one has the right to accept an apology if the wrong was not done to them."
- Douglas Murray
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Now if this can be accomplished on the basis of male/female gender, I see no reason why it won't also be achieved on the basis of say ethnicity, many immigrants have reasonably good educational qualifications when they arrive in this country. Getting those qualifications recognized by our institutions still seems to be a sticking point, and would be a good area for attention to be focussed.

A huge reason for why immigrants' qualifications are less likely to be recognized is based largely on vast differences between our standards and processes and their country of origin. Registered professionals with responsibilities that impact the mortality of people must go through the process of being up-to-speed on the laws and standards of Canada as they pertain to regional requirements.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Well of course those from other countries would have to be brought "up to speed" on differences between the countries training, why wouldn't they be? Is it likely they are deficient in their intelligence that they can't manage that (which I doubt)?

As to suggestion that we cannot somehow strive to have more diversity in various endeavors: hogwash. When I attended university there was quite a bias toward certain groups in certain programs (this was a long time ago). It has improved immensely since then, that doesn't mean the balance of people from various backgrounds is exactly like the population, but you have to wonder if there are programs with virtually no females, or no males, or no people of some religion or ethnicity, why that is happening and look at the educational programs leading to that point. Are the elementary schools helping all children to achieve their potential, regardless of these factors, or are there children underachieving in certain neighborhoods, or not attending courses leading to university because they can't afford the tuition? Just throwing up our hands and saying well there's nothing we can do to help achieve certain levels for those of diverse background is avoiding recognizing the factors leading to this bias. Look at the progress made for indigenous students. Someone recognized that the imbalance could be addressed and efforts were (and are being) made to help them achieve higher academic standards. Will it all be perfectly equitable in the very near future? Maybe not, but we can still recognize the problem and work on it (and not just for indigenous students obviously).

Thousands competing for medical acreditation, but few residency spots available; https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.4838439
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Silverstarqueen wrote:Well of course those from other countries would have to be brought "up to speed" on differences between the countries training, why wouldn't they be? Is it likely they are deficient in their intelligence that they can't manage that (which I doubt)?
The time required to gain and retain this information in some fields is akin to taking the entire educational process all over again, and with good reason. For example, some of our structural and civil design standards are largely dependent upon the Canadian climate and geotechnical conditions, concepts of which begin in year-one of the program and are added to in subsequent years. This knowledge is not simply studied-for and attained in a short period of time for adaptation to pre-existing training. Some things have to be unlearned and relearned to maintain relevance.
Verum
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by Verum »

Glacier wrote:...
Verum wrote:I get the feeling that you operate with a slightly (massively) different definition of what it is to be progressive than I, or any dictionary I have checked.

I know. It was a joke.

It's sometimes hard to tell when the right are playing the Black friend defence.
JLives
Buddha of the Board

Post by JLives »

kgcayenne wrote:A huge reason for why immigrants' qualifications are less likely to be recognized is based largely on vast differences between our standards and processes and their country of origin. Registered professionals with responsibilities that impact the mortality of people must go through the process of being up-to-speed on the laws and standards of Canada as they pertain to regional requirements.

Also an unwillingness to overcome potential language barriers.
"Every dollar you spend is a vote for what you believe in."
"My country is the world, and my religion is to do good."
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Engineering has made a plan to recognize equivalent programs between 20 different countries. Something similar could be done in other disciplines. Yes it takes some effort and time and money for work it out. But Engineers are pretty bright people, they all speak engineering. "Washington Accord: The Washington Accord is an academic level mutual recognition agreement between organizations responsible for accrediting engineering degree programs in 20 countries. It recognizes the substantial equivalency of programs and recommends that graduates of programs accredited by any of the signatories be recognized by the other signatories as having met the academic requirements for entry to the practice of engineering.

The countries in the Washington Accord are Australia, Canada, China, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong, India, Ireland, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, New Zealand, Pakistan, Peru, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Turkey, United Kingdom, and the United States."
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

You’ll have noticed then that there are still restrictions based on a Tiering system of the educational institutions. Standardization is so very important and it is definitely encouraging to see global organizations get on board.

It is my personal beliefs, however, that if faced with two applicants it would be unethical to pass-over the more qualified candidate in favour of one to satisfy some agenda. I feel I t is also unethical to hold an individual to more rigorous qualification criteria because of their __________ (whatever). Besides, do we really think Caucasian groups are the only inequitable ones?? For example, First Nations-administered study funding holds their FN participants to a higher standard than that of a majority of non-first nation groups!

Where does it stop? Really!
BCPickles
Fledgling

Post by BCPickles »

kgcayenne wrote:You’ll have noticed then that there are still restrictions based on a Tiering system of the educational institutions. Standardization is so very important and it is definitely encouraging to see global organizations get on board.

It is my personal beliefs, however, that if faced with two applicants it would be unethical to pass-over the more qualified candidate in favour of one to satisfy some agenda. I feel I t is also unethical to hold an individual to more rigorous qualification criteria because of their __________ (whatever). Besides, do we really think Caucasian groups are the only inequitable ones?? For example, First Nations-administered study funding holds their FN participants to a higher standard than that of a majority of non-first nation groups!

Where does it stop? Really!

We also have a tendency to forget when we say "first-nations" there is as much internal diversity there as there is under the equally arbitrary label "white people".
Their is great diversity and conflict within that grouping and it is a falsehood to speak as if their goals and thoughts as singular.

A friend of mine of first nations heritage enlightened me as to how much conflict and difference in culture there is between the composite nations themselves: much like with Europeans.
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

This evening on the news there was a bit on this topic, indicating that due to immigration that in the near future Canada will consist of about 80% non-white workers,and obviously they will have to get over any reticence to hiring non-white people, already there are worker shortages in many industries. Also many immigrants are starting businesses and creating jobs, so many could be working for someone of another ethnic background, so "inclusivity" is going to mean mixing it up if someone wants a job in Canada.
kgcayenne
Buddha of the Board

Post by kgcayenne »

Diversity is good. Skilled diversity is awesome.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

I guess, if I took this employer to a human rights tribunal for discrimination, my chances would be very slim.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!

Return to “Social Concerns”