Canada commits genocide?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Canada commits genocide?

Postby Glacier » Jun 9th, 2019, 2:59 pm

Liberals like the one who wrote this article, Romeo Dellaire, and Irwin Cotler are saying it's not, but Trudeau says it is (because the report calls it such).

What do you think?

Was it the ethical thing to do? Was it morally right? Was it the biggest self-inflicted political wound in Canadian history?

None of that matters. Genocide is the crime of crimes.

And the defendant, Justin Trudeau, says he is guilty of it.

“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

rustled likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12745 posts

Re: Canada commits genocide?

Postby Rango » Jun 9th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Yes, I feel like it is somewhat.

This is unfortunately, what was done to the Germans historically throughout Wurope though up until recent times to be fair. Let’s see, I am English and German. I was quite interested in my ancestry and then this spurned my interest in European history. I took an ancestry test and though I go back several generations in the British Isles and Northwest Europe, so like Beglium and France. So it says Germanic Europe, so I think thus I am German as well largely. I also some faint Mediterranean ancestry, and far off Asian and such.

I’ve noticed and observed all these patterns in criminal cases and dispeadances of individuals in Canada and I’ve faced so much animosity and perceived or outright antagonism and hostility that I’ve concluded largely it must be racism. And sure enough, I’m pretty sure it so, I’ve had people in Canada, stock their feet at me and then as a result I noticed supposedly how I walk or how my gait and legs are different then many Canadians and this is what motivated my interest in my ancestry.

I think I’ve been systematically discriminated against in Canada for much of my life and it’s become really profound in recent years, I couldn’t figure out what it was. It’s like, hardly anyone will tolerate me, there’s a lot of,other things. A lot of Americans are Italian and german largely so that is why I’ve seriouly considered relocating to America. I’ve never felt welcomed at all in Canada.

I know they’re using the indegenious people or Native America’s in Canada as an example and to be fair it’s slightly different case or scenario but I feel like I might as well be bunched in with the Native Americans in Canada, I swear to god I’m not well liked with the white supremacists.
Rango

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Rango » Jun 9th, 2019, 9:09 pm

removed.
Last edited by Triple 6 on Jun 10th, 2019, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: off topic comment removed
Rango

Liked in: 1 post

Postby seewood » Jun 10th, 2019, 7:52 am

Cultural genocide yes

What the authors are saying in the report, definitely not.
I am not wealthy but I am rich

rustled likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1653 posts

Postby common_sense_guy » Jun 10th, 2019, 7:58 am

Everybody in their right mind knows Canada did not participate in a genocide according to what the term actually means. But it just shows what a *bleep* Trudeau is. His fake crocodile tears don't fool many people I bet. When he got voted in I thought there was a chance we might have someone that would do what's good for the people. But I was wrong. When on Earth are we going to finally have a real shake-up when we do something about all of these corrupt governments. In my opinion one party is not better than the next. They are all Scoundrels and criminals for the most part. Okay maybe I'll give you a 10% are decent politicians but the rest should be tried for treason for backdoor deals and doing what's not in the best interest of the public
If you can't handle the truth, plug your ears. Don't ask me to stop speaking. This is a no snowflake Zone

two_shoes1mit likes this post.
common_sense_guy
Board Meister

Liked in: 363 posts

Postby t76turbo » Jun 10th, 2019, 8:46 am

I haven’t read the report and chances are I never will. I do listen to a lot of CBC talk radio. Large amount of First Nations programs and content. From what I’ve heard lots of women have gone missing or have been murdered. Somehow I get the feeling fingers are being pointed at the”white man”.
I must wonder, are there any men or boys that go missing? Have been murdered?

The other thing I have also come to understand is a lot of the first nation women die at the hands of their partners or estranged partners on reserves. How does that become a racist or genocide issue?
I have a lot of opinions, just ask the wife. Some good, some bad, and others down right ugly!
But then, they are just MY opinions.

4 people like this post.
t76turbo
Fledgling

Liked in: 429 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Jun 10th, 2019, 9:22 am

Genocide has come to mean something different from the word's actual meaning. I feel this is different, and that use of the term 'genocide' was purely for polarization and deliberately inflammatory.

Racism?

You should see those that have newly come here from elsewhere exerting it among themselves.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

3 people like this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4658 posts

Postby Leifer » Jun 10th, 2019, 10:27 am

I believe there was a deliberate and systematic attempt to stamp out First Nation culture, language, and religion by our past governments.
I also believe that those same government officials thought they were doing the right thing at the time. They wanted to "elevate" the FN from the poverty and miserable existence that reservation system created. Trying to turn the various FN people into regular French/English speaking Catholic/Protestant citizens. They would integrate into the rest of Canadian society and become prosperous and successful.

This was the British way of doing things....and was considered to be humane and proper at the time. The French, Spanish, Portuguese were much worse with the treatment of their indigenous colonial populations.

The decimation of the FN population was primarily caused by disease outbreaks starting with the earliest contact with Europeans. Epidemics spread like wildfire across the various First nation people who had never been exposed to these diseases. Diseases that killed millions upon millions of Europeans in the past had left a population who were resistant and somewhat immune. Most historians do not believe there was some kind of intentional "Germ Warfare" conducted by settlers in Canada. In fact...those early settlers didn't really understand germs and medicine....hell they were largely illiterate and ignorant to science during this period.

Cultural Genocide....yes I would agree to that.
Regular genocide.....no I do not think so.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)

3 people like this post.
Leifer
Board Meister

Liked in: 1164 posts

Postby Leifer » Jun 10th, 2019, 11:00 am

From the UN's website on Genocide Prevention:

"The intent is the most difficult element to determine. To constitute genocide, there must be a proven intent on the part of perpetrators to physically destroy a national, ethnical, racial or religious group. Cultural destruction does not suffice, nor does an intention to simply disperse a group."

If our tear-streaked buffoon of a Prime Minister had bothered to look up the definition....he would not have signed us all up for this.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)

3 people like this post.
Leifer
Board Meister

Liked in: 1164 posts

Postby lesliepaul » Jun 10th, 2019, 11:09 am

Another term to extort money in this endless cycle...…….there is always a lawyer coming up with a new angle.
lesliepaul
Übergod

Liked in: 1287 posts

Postby Brass Monkey » Jun 10th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Cultural genocide? Absolutely, the last residential school closed in 1996 effectively making that a 126 year government funded attempt at cultural bleaching of natives.

Real genocide? Not sure, the British dominion that pre-dated Canada and the earliest governments of Canada could probably be found guilty, but the rampant neglect of Indigenous women and lack of action to remedy those problems isn't necessarily genocide, just a glimpse into how garbage the government, police and general population can be.
Brass Monkey
Board Meister

Liked in: 318 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jun 10th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Brass Monkey wrote:Cultural genocide? Absolutely, the last residential school closed in 1996 effectively making that a 126 year government funded attempt at cultural bleaching of natives.

Real genocide? Not sure, the British dominion that pre-dated Canada and the earliest governments of Canada could probably be found guilty, but the rampant neglect of Indigenous women and lack of action to remedy those problems isn't necessarily genocide, just a glimpse into how garbage the government, police and general population can be.

The Canadian government had a professed desire to get rid of the aboriginals culture, so that is not in dispute.
Actual genocide? I don't know to what degree it has been proven but there are claims that there was a deliberate attempt to spread disease , to look after the residential children so badly that they would not survive some of the diseases that were going around, to abuse them, and of course to take away their culture. We probably don't know, and may never know the half of it. I for one would like to know the whole truth, even though I cringe to think of the stories we might have to hear. Like a cancer, the cruel deeds of the past need to be exposed, acknowledged before they can be atoned for. No that doesn't mean that we now are guilty of what was done, but we might be guilty of allowing it to be covered up. We cannot understand the present, until we understand the past.

2 people like this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2549 posts

Postby t76turbo » Jun 10th, 2019, 11:58 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:
Brass Monkey wrote:Cultural genocide? Absolutely, the last residential school closed in 1996 effectively making that a 126 year government funded attempt at cultural bleaching of natives.

The Canadian government had a professed desire to get rid of the aboriginals culture, so that is not in dispute.
Actual genocide? I don't know to what degree it has been proven but there are claims that there was a deliberate attempt to spread disease , to look after the residential children so badly that they would not survive some of the diseases that were going around, to abuse them, and of course to take away their culture. We probably don't know, and may never know the half of it. I for one would like to know the whole truth, even though I cringe to think of the stories we might have to hear. Like a cancer, the cruel deeds of the past need to be exposed, acknowledged before they can be atoned for. No that doesn't mean that we now are guilty of what was done, but we might be guilty of allowing it to be covered up. We cannot understand the present, until we understand the past.

Yes, I do get some of that, but how does that relate to missing and murdered women inquest report?

In residential schools life woulda been tough!
The attempt to spread disease...not sure, experimentations on children.... perhaps.Treated as second class people...no doubt!
Those were different times tho. I will always remember my grandfather in the late 70’s early 80’s Europe being a very rough, tough and ugly man. Was rare not to get smacked around by him. But that was very common. Teachers there also ruled with an iron fist with no consequence. However no one tor me from my parents or tried to drown out my language.

Broken people turning to alcohol, drugs and tricks as a consequence of residential schools, genocide it still does not make!

Edited for spelling *
I have a lot of opinions, just ask the wife. Some good, some bad, and others down right ugly!
But then, they are just MY opinions.
t76turbo
Fledgling

Liked in: 429 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jun 11th, 2019, 5:20 am

I am not talking about the general abuse or attempt at cultural genocide, as horrible as that was. I am not talking about using the stick too liberally, or even the sexual abuse. I am talking about a concerted effort to spread deadly diseases and to fail to provide basic care and nourishment to the point that the "caretakers" knew that many lives would be lost, and that was their objective.
Native children were stolen from their families, their culture and language stamped out of them, but more than that, there was an effort to reduce the numbers of native people by forcing them into poverty and spreading deadly disease. I know we were told a different story, but there's another story to be told here. Estimates are that 4,000 to 6,000 children died while at residential schools, although no one know the actual number. Many more thousands of indigenous people died of diseases in their villages, no effort was made to protect their health or provide vaccines, quarantines, as they would have done with the white people.
The killing of the missing indigenous women was not genocide in the respect that there was some government sanctioned deliberate effort to eliminate them. But it was a symptom of many years of the society's neglect of the native people, a trickle down effect where the lives of some people were not as valued because of their cultural background and ancestry. So I would not call it genocide.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2549 posts

Postby normaM » Jun 11th, 2019, 7:11 am

"The United Nations Genocide Convention, which was established in 1948, defines genocide as "acts committed with intent to destroy, in whole or in part, a national, ethnic, racial or religious group", including the systematic harm or killing of its members, deliberately imposing living conditions that seek to "bring about its physical destruction in whole or in part", preventing births, or forcibly transferring children out of the group to another group"
So I think the use of the word is correct.
https://www.canadianlawyermag.com/autho ... ide-17368/
We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6491 posts

Next

Return to Social Concerns