Canada commits genocide?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Canada commits genocide?

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jun 14th, 2019, 7:50 pm

Okay, thinking back on the issue of : was the Canadian gov't somehow complicit in the murders of missing indigenous women.
Given that many of these murders were committed (supposedly) by indigenous people( not all), does that mean the gov't did or did not play a part in it somehow?
Did the gov't not exclude indigenous women from having full status rights, or did they lose these rights when they no longer were married to husband with status? That would tend to put women at risk, with no means of support, no way to combat spousal abuse.
I don't think this result had to be intended in order to be genocide, a deliberate action, to not permit these specific people basic rights, and then not take responsibility for the results, which resulted ultimately in death or serious injury, would be genocide.

https://indigenousfoundations.arts.ubc. ... nal_women/
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2549 posts

Postby Glacier » Jun 16th, 2019, 9:47 am

Majority agrees Indigenous women victims of 'genocide' but not on how or by whom

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canada/ma ... -1.4468711
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12746 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jun 16th, 2019, 10:30 am

The vast majority of Canadians (including myself) were taught for the last several generations, the same old regarding Canadian history and the role played in how the aboriginals were treated. So now history has to be corrected with the true story. Minds won't be changed in just a generation or two, old ideas die hard. I was shocked (as I'm sure many Canadians were) to learn the extent of the efforts, by churches and endorsed by government, to exterminate indigenous peoples, and to suppress their culture, language, livelihood. So our young people have to be educated, but the older generations have to be re-educated. Some people are just going to shut out the message, and many just don't get it. That doesn't mean we should give up, the message has to get out, the story must be told. It reminds me somewhat of the effort that was made in Germany after the war to educate the people about what the Nazis did, how they systematically brain-washed the population and played on their fears and prejudices, and the time and effort that was made after the war to make sure it never happened again. Yet there are still many neo-nazis, many people who just don't seem to "get it", have their own version of "truth" and history, and won't let go of it easily, if ever. That doesn't mean we just throw up our hands and stop trying to educate, understand history, so that we will not be doomed to repeat it. It could be some other group next if we are not diligent.
I don't feel guilt for what was done to our indigenous people, but I do feel great sadness for the terrible wrongs that were done to them by our government, with the assistance of our churches.

Omnitheo likes this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2549 posts

Postby Glacier » Sep 5th, 2019, 2:02 pm

Back in June, the debate over whether Indigenous Canadian women are victims of genocide drowned out many concerns and criticisms that had been levelled against the inquiry that concluded they are. Those came not least from the families of victims, who alleged a lack of empathy compounded by endless staff turnover, a glacial pace of evidence-gathering and a lack of transparency. This week CBC reported the inquiry also made some very basic factual errors.

The fact Trudeau was able to shrug the accusation away may well be evidence of Canadians’ apathy or antipathy toward Indigenous people. But it is certainly evidence that the inquiry swung for the fences and whiffed. There is indeed lots else in the report about how to prevent Indigenous women from going missing and being murdered, but it’s nothing we didn’t know before: Better housing, education and health, more job opportunities, higher incomes and happier lives lead to all the better outcomes we’re after.

That progress has been in many cases so slow is a national shame, and normally I would say we can’t be reminded of that often enough. But this hopelessly misbegotten, mismanaged and incurious inquiry may well have made things worse.

https://ottawacitizen.com/opinion/chris ... 0bfb734b94
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

rustled likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12746 posts

Previous

Return to Social Concerns