Modern Intersectional Definition of a Racist

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Modern Intersectional Definition of a Racist

Postby Silverstarqueen » Aug 7th, 2019, 9:21 pm

White supremacists are committing massacres (Norway, Christchurch, Elpaso), that is a fact.
They reference the same language that Trump spews: mexican invasions, muslims, fill in the blank with your favorite immigrant) are thugs and criminals going to destroy our (mostly white ) powerbase in America.
He's telling brown and black Americans (congresswomen) to "go back to where they came from".
I would not say his messages are "subliminal" at all, he is quite blatant in what he says and to whom he says it.
He is playing on the racism that was in America, but it wasn't that cool to be so blatant about it before.
Now hatred of latinos, black and brown people is becoming okay, after all the pres and his administration defends it. A white supremacist travels 10 hours to go and shoot up a nice peaceful city because he thinks he's going to get some glory for it.
What does Trump claim, no White supremacy is not becoming a bigger problem, and no, what I am saying is not fanning the flames of hatred. I am the least racist person you could meet. That is clearly a lie. How many black people does he have in his administration anyway?
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2528 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 7th, 2019, 9:24 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:White supremacists are committing massacres (Norway, Christchurch, Elpaso), that is a fact.

Islamic extremists are committing massacres. That is also a fact.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4910 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Aug 7th, 2019, 9:56 pm

OKkayak wrote:
Silverstarqueen wrote:White supremacists are committing massacres (Norway, Christchurch, Elpaso), that is a fact.

Islamic extremists are committing massacres. That is also a fact.

Islamic extremists are radicalized the same way as white supremacists. So now you finally see the connection on how violence is encouraged by leaders of these ideologies.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby OKkayak » Aug 7th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:So now you finally see the connection on how violence is encouraged by leaders of these ideologies.

You're giving Trump way too much credit there.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

Glacier likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4910 posts

Postby pureblissyoga » Aug 7th, 2019, 10:34 pm

OKkayak wrote:
pureblissyoga wrote:Flint and Detroit were a culture and societal shock, half the city is boarded up, I couldn't find eminem either but I got a selfie at 8mile road!.

Please tell me you at least went to American Coney when you were in D-Town :biggrin:

Awe didn't know about it till now. I did however scar my kids for life at a small restaurant in Paxton Nebraska with at least 700 dead animals literally stuffed inside its walls, my kids actually cried as we took in death all around us while we ate salad :up: mom of the year that day! But like I said earlier guns hunting rednecks guns old rural white midwest America. I actually ended up there by accident, kids had to pee! Here's a link with a pretty extensive history!

https://www.olesbiggame.com/photos/

OKkayak likes this post.
pureblissyoga

Liked in: 3 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Aug 8th, 2019, 6:50 am

What I find interesting about this thread, is that there is an assumption that the racist people are caucasian.

I was in the Superstore the other day when they had two busloads of agricultural workers there - I believe they were Jamaican and Mexican (best guess, I really have no idea). I was waiting to talk to a cell phone guy and ended up waiting quite a while (I had time, no big deal). Members of the two groups kept eyeing each other and were definitely unfriendly towards each other. O.o

Also, I have friends of Asian descent. All of them will speak about how racist their relatives can be. The terms "gaijin" and "gwai lo" get thrown around a lot.

I do believe that no one ethnic group has the corner on racism; from the feedback I get, I believe this is a very unpopular opinion. Why do you think that is?
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

2 people like this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4656 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Aug 8th, 2019, 7:03 am

Where ever was it stated that racism is only a problem of whites?
Are you trying to argue that racism by whites is okay because there are other people who are also racist?
Incidentally freedom of thought (and speech in U.s.) allow people to have their racist thoughts and speech.
Not so much in Canada, can't publicly speak hatred against particular groups, or encourage violence or discrimination against them.
Racism, acting on harmful thoughts, not just thinking them, not just "looking at someone funny", is what is causing problems.
So when white cops have a much higher rate of stopping or shooting, or strangling people of color, using excessive force, handling them differently than they do white people, that is racism. It happens.
If black or latino, or asian cops were doing the same with white people, you can bet there would be a huge backlash and those officers would quickly lose their jobs, or at the least suffer suspension. We don't seem to hear of that happening on the large scale that people of color are being discriminated against.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Lady tehMa » Aug 8th, 2019, 7:39 am

Silverstarqueen wrote:Where ever was it stated that racism is only a problem of whites?

Actually, I believe it was you who brought up white supremacy.

Silverstarqueen wrote:Are you trying to argue that racism by whites is okay because there are other people who are also racist?
Incidentally freedom of thought (and speech in U.s.) allow people to have their racist thoughts and speech.
Not so much in Canada, can't publicly speak hatred against particular groups, or encourage violence or discrimination against them.

Uh, no? Where did you get that from? :135: Simply put, my stance is as I stated: "no one (single) ethnicity has the corner on racism".

Silverstarqueen wrote:Racism, acting on harmful thoughts, not just thinking them, not just "looking at someone funny", is what is causing problems.
So when white cops have a much higher rate of stopping or shooting, or strangling people of color, using excessive force, handling them differently than they do white people, that is racism. It happens.

I'm not disagreeing with that, I'm positing that it is not limited to one group (and yet, you keep bringing up one group and one group only). Although, from a statistics standpoint I'd wonder if it had anything to do with "white cops" (your phrasing, again "white") being the largest data pool. I'm wondering if you adjusted the sample sizes what the respective percentages of offenders within each group would be (just curious).

Silverstarqueen wrote:If black or latino, or asian cops were doing the same with white people, you can bet there would be a huge backlash and those officers would quickly lose their jobs, or at the least suffer suspension. We don't seem to hear of that happening on the large scale that people of color are being discriminated against.

And again, you are focusing completely on "white". You seem to have a fixation. Which actually kind of proves my point: why is it that when racism is brought up there is the automatic assumption (see your post) that the offenders are (to use your oft-repeated word) "white"? And why do you use a term that is coming to be viewed as pejorative instead of a less emotionally-laden term, "caucasian"? I thought you were all about political correctness?
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

4 people like this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Postby the truth » Aug 8th, 2019, 8:02 am

exactly..............^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7848 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Aug 8th, 2019, 8:23 am

White supremacy has been at the basis of racism against non-whites.
No where did I state that it is the only type of racism e.g. extremist islamic bombers, truck drivers do exist.
The President of the U.s. has often made statements which white supremacists are happy to hear, it reinforces their ideology. To pretend that a person in such a powerful position is not influential in his statements, is ridiculous.
He hasn't made statements supportive of other types of racial discrimination (against whites, in favor of muslims or latinos or blacks). If he did I'm sure they would be denounced by non-racists as well.
I brought up the example of non-white cops, who would be (rightly) denounced if they were discriiminating against whites (or any other group that was not theirs), and you say I only focus on whites.
So you are going to twist and mis-state whatever I say. I clearly have recognized that not only whites can be racist, but that's not good enough for you, turn it into something else.
Just as the non-racist comments of H. Clinton were claimed to be racist comments against blacks when she didn't even mention blacks in her entire speech. I noticed there was no response to that when I pointed it out.
The lies keep coming, but they are not recognized for what they are, a diversion from the real problem: The U.S. president is racist. Is he the only racist in America? Are there other brands of racists? Of course white supremacy is foremost in people's minds right now with 22 dead latinos and many more injured. Even the president doesn't want to talk about how his rhetoric is being used by white supremacists to fuel their hate, and deadly acts.

I have never claimed to be interested in Political correctness, but I don't see anything particularly wrong about it either.
Racism is hateful, hurtful, and sometimes deadly, so now you want to divert attention to "political correctness".
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Aug 8th, 2019, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby Gilchy » Aug 8th, 2019, 8:32 am

"White supremacy" is brought up as the "white culture" is the dominant one in North America. No one is denying that racism exists across societal groups, but the impact in racism comes from which way you're punching.

*Only for example* - Japanese people being racist against Chinese people in Japan is an issue, here it's a relatively small impacted group, so doesn't make the news or have the same broad affect. White people form the largest population group in North America, have the per capital incomes, positions of power, influence and control. White racism is discussed most frequently as when members of this group discriminate against others, it has the impact of punching down, or keeping a group of people in a lessor status.

This is where the concept of white privilege is tricky. On an individual level, people can rightly say "no one has ever given me anything, I have earned my way, etc", and while that is true, broadly speaking it doesn't recognize that as a white person, your starting line is a little different than an inner city black kids, or a first nation group on a remote reserve.

White supremacy doesn't have to be hooded klansmen burning crosses, it's a usually much more insidious unconscious that the Caucasian background and culture is inherently the "right one", and others are inferior.
Gilchy
Übergod

Liked in: 1056 posts

Postby Glacier » Aug 8th, 2019, 8:51 am

Screenshot_20190808-085127.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

OKkayak likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12715 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Aug 8th, 2019, 8:54 am

Silverstarqueen wrote:White supremacy has been at the basis of racism against non-whites.

Again, focusing on "white". I'm beginning to believe you might possibly be racist towards those of caucasian heritage (regardless of whether you share it or not).

Read this following statement carefully, and consider it. "Are other ethnicities capable of, and in fact have problems with, racism?" The title of this thread is "Modern Intersectional Definition of a Racist".

Silverstarqueen wrote:Nowhere did I state that it is the only type of racism e.g. extremist Islamic bombers, truck drivers do exist.

Except that you have focused only on "white" in this thread?

Silverstarqueen wrote:The President of the U.s. has often made statements which white supremacists are happy to hear, it reinforces their ideology. To pretend that a person in such a powerful position is not influential in his statements is ridiculous.
He hasn't made statements supportive of other types of racial discrimination (against whites, in favour of Muslims or Latinos or blacks). If he did I'm sure they would be denounced by non-racists as well.

Being that I am not American, I'm not sure why you're bringing up Trump. But I would definitely count Justin Trudeau as being anti-caucasian given his statements, his ethnicity aside. And any number of popular culture icons also are anti-caucasian. People are always pleased when influential people share their ideologies and espouse them - so why this rabbit trail? :135:

Silverstarqueen wrote:I brought up the example of non-white cops, who would be (rightly) denounced if they were discriminating against whites (or any other group that was not theirs), and you say I only focus on whites.
So you are going to twist and misstate whatever I say. I clearly have recognized that not only whites can be racist, but that's not good enough for you, turn it into something else.

Erm, no, quoted you directly. Literally. Where exactly did you state (other than the above) that not only caucasians can be racist?

Silverstarqueen wrote:Just as the non-racist comments of H. Clinton were claimed to be racist comments against blacks when she didn't even mention blacks in her entire speech. I noticed there was no response to that when I pointed it out.
The lies keep coming, but they are not recognized for what they are, a diversion from the real problem: The U.S. president is racist. Is he the only racist in America? Are there other brands of racists? Of course, white supremacy is foremost in people's minds right now with 22 dead Latinos and many more injured. Even the president doesn't want to talk about how his rhetoric is being used by white supremacists to fuel their hate and deadly acts.

Are you American? I'm not sure why this obsession with American politics keeps coming up? What does this have to do with the actual topic?

Silverstarqueen wrote:I have never claimed to be interested in Political correctness, but I don't see anything particularly wrong about it either.
Racism is hateful, hurtful, and sometimes deadly, so now you want to divert attention to "political correctness".

I believe it is important to be polite and respectful, regardless of who you are. I think "political correctness" is an incomplete thing that focuses more on division than recognizing the inherent worth of each person as an individual. We both agree that "racism is bad". However, while I'm trying to examine things outside of my own culture, you seem to be fixated on hating "white".

You're welcome.

2 people like this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Postby Lady tehMa » Aug 8th, 2019, 9:08 am

Gilchy wrote:"White supremacy" is brought up as the "white culture" is the dominant one in North America. No one is denying that racism exists across societal groups, but the impact in racism comes from which way you're punching.

I find your wording above to be interesting. Why did you choose "the" instead of "a"?

Gilchy wrote:*Only for example* - Japanese people being racist against Chinese people in Japan is an issue, here it's a relatively small impacted group, so doesn't make the news or have the same broad effect. White people form the largest population group in North America, have the per capita incomes, positions of power, influence and control. White racism is discussed most frequently as when members of this group discriminate against others, it has the impact of punching down, or keeping a group of people in a lesser status.

This is actually what I was talking about, :D Looking into other cultures and defining racism as being broader than "only Caucasians are racist". Being that we are in a predominately caucasian society we see the effects of minority ethnicities coming into predominately Caucasian areas. But it isn't the only expression of it; I have seen other ethnicities who have shown that they hold racist views towards other ethnicities - both minority and Caucasian.

Gilchy wrote:This is where the concept of white privilege is tricky. On an individual level, people can rightly say "no one has ever given me anything, I have earned my way, etc", and while that is true, broadly speaking it doesn't recognize that as a white person, your starting line is a little different than an inner-city black kids, or a first nation group on a remote reserve.

People say "White Privilege" rather a lot. But it isn't just "white". For example one of my friends was born and educated in Hong Kong, moved here as a teen and went to school back east. She is ethnic. She has experienced issues with people being racist. But, she has never had to use a food bank. She has never gone hungry. She has never had to struggle to pay bills or worry about how to make ends meet. I would say from my experience, that even though she has experienced racism, that she has also been privileged.

Gilchy wrote:White supremacy doesn't have to be hooded klansmen burning crosses, it's a usually much more insidious unconscious that the Caucasian background and culture is inherently the "right one", and others are inferior.

True, but my statement posits that "white supremacy" is not the only racism that exists, that there are other racisms (that are being perhaps ignored?). Being as we are dealing with the definition of a racist, I submit to you that it is not only about "white supremacy" but that other cultures/ethnicities can be and in fact are, racist.

You're welcome.

OKkayak likes this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Postby kgcayenne » Aug 8th, 2019, 9:08 am

I have observed a Middle Eastern patriarch place an entire housing complex at risk for fire because a safety service company (the only of its kind here) was owned by one of what they deemed to be an unclean race (one of the South East Asian races). The strata incurred great costs to have this service performed by a different service provider because the Middle Eastern owner beyotched that Strata (whom they incorrectly perceived to be all white) were being.... RACIST. :-X Really! I'm not schyttttn ya!

Humans are capable of great injustices to each other. It's not limited to race, it is about sense of entitlement and *bleep* thinking.

HUMANS do this.

(edited to add the bolded text)
Last edited by kgcayenne on Aug 8th, 2019, 1:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

OKkayak likes this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4647 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns