Why is this ?

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
zeeker

Why is this ?

Post by zeeker »

Just curious as to why it seems to be ok to walk around high on drugs, I’ve also witnessed people shooting up with 2 cops parked 20 feet away on Leon ave. Also giving people a place to use these drugs and the be allowed to proceed back out onto the streets again to beg and steal so the can repeat the process over and over again.
But if you are the 1 person who’s drunk walking down the street you get arrested for public intoxication, etc.

Not saying being drunk is ok either, just sayin.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Re: Why is this ?

Post by OKkayak »

This was posted by another member in another thread. All credits to them:

W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

well since wet facilities are the newest trend in caring for the homeless addicted then the Gospel Mission should be allowing drug/alcohol use in that nice fancy courtyard that they have...since they do not allow drug/alcohol use, pets or personal belongings in the courtyard people stand/sit and use outside of it...addicts have nothing to do all day except to sit around..a sad true fact so they need somewhere to spend their time...I am now starting to see that's the way BC Housing is looking at it building so many more wet facilities compared to dry ones...keep them in one area and off the streets and I guess it does make some sense when you look at it that way...but I still believe that wet facilities should not be built around highly dense residential areas...
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

One would not be picked-up and charged with public intoxication unless, there is a secondary charge associated.

Causing disturbance, indecent exhibition, loitering, etc.

175 (1) Every one who

(a) not being in a dwelling-house, causes a disturbance in or near a public place,

(i) by fighting, screaming, shouting, swearing, singing or using insulting or obscene language,

(ii) by being drunk, or

(iii) by impeding or molesting other persons,

(b) openly exposes or exhibits an indecent exhibition in a public place,

(c) loiters in a public place and in any way obstructs persons who are in that place, or

(d) disturbs the peace and quiet of the occupants of a dwelling-house by discharging firearms or by other disorderly conduct in a public place or who, not being an occupant of a dwelling-house comprised in a particular building or structure, disturbs the peace and quiet of the occupants of a dwelling-house comprised in the building or structure by discharging firearms or by other disorderly conduct in any part of a building or structure to which, at the time of such conduct, the occupants of two or more dwelling-houses comprised in the building or structure have access as of right or by invitation, express or implied,

is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

If someone is observed staggering slightly, the police won't bother them.
If someone is so drunk that they are unable to care for themselves, they will get a "time-out" in cells, until they can.
I highly doubt that someone staggering down the sidewalk would draw the attention of the police.
It doesn't matter what the drug of choice is, if they can care for themselves and are of no risk to others, they will get a "PASS".
Bring back the LIKE button.
zeeker

Post by zeeker »

My personal belief is if they came from a past where they never saw or new there was a better life or future to look forward to it is almost impossible to help them out of their current situation. If they came from homes where they saw that happen, they stand a way better chance at rehab. There are those that truly want help and deserve it, and there are those that could care less because that brighter future for them in their minds does not exist and never will. My daughter now 25 got mixed up with the wrong crowd in her school and ended up on a bad ride back in middle school, but is now clean, married, owns a home and working full time and doing extremely well. She told me that when she was in school, the dealers were already pushing hard drugs in the elementary Schools mostly grade 6-7 and middle schools is the worst. Not to mention the Social Media that pushes them in the wrong direction too.
I just don’t believe Wet Facilities are the answer. Too many homes providing the lack of skills, and love and encouragement that they need. So many kids being born to parents that could careless about them. Unfortunately, the healthy kids get mixed in amongst them as they are just kids and don’t know any better at the time and peer pressure takes over.
Too many broken homes and people out there today. : (

Sorry for the babbling, but it’s just a really Sad situation in the world these days.
ferri
Forum Administrator

Post by ferri »

:topic:
“Weak people revenge. Strong people forgive. Intelligent people ignore.”
― Albert Einstein
Silverstarqueen
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by Silverstarqueen »

zeeker wrote:Just curious as to why it seems to be ok to walk around high on drugs, I’ve also witnessed people shooting up with 2 cops parked 20 feet away on Leon ave. Also giving people a place to use these drugs and the be allowed to proceed back out onto the streets again to beg and steal so the can repeat the process over and over again.
But if you are the 1 person who’s drunk walking down the street you get arrested for public intoxication, etc.

Not saying being drunk is ok either, just sayin.

On any given day or evening there are lots of drunk people walking around, they aren't arrested (unless they are causing some kind of problem). Same goes for those who are high, as long as they don't cause some special problem (are otherwise breaking the law, fighting etc.) So, yeah, being drunk is ok, people do it all the time.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Post by stuphoto »

alanjh595 wrote:If someone is observed staggering slightly, the police won't bother them.

Just thinking out loud here,
These may be the group we should be helping. While they still have a chance to be saved.
When whey are full blown drunk or stoned it is usually just a quick ( high school grad type thing ) bender, or they are already full blown addicts.
Either way it is pointless helping them unless they actually ask for it.

I am not talking as an addict, but as someone who was in a long term relationship with 2 alcoholics.
1 who knew she had a problem, and got the help she needed.
1 who doesn't think she has a problem, and will probably die of her addictions.

Return to “Social Concerns”