"Unplanned" Movie

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: "Unplanned" Movie

Postby Laurane » Sep 7th, 2019, 11:14 am

The movie which I don't plan to see, as I have a hard time watching people suffer when it involves children, even though it has an uplifting ending, is really about a woman's struggle with her notion that a fetus is the possession of the mother.

Therefore the mother (who many say is not a mother till the baby has been born) has the option to kill that inconvenience and we can't call it anything else, can we? Whatever prompts this pregnancy, starts a child......when a heart stops beating, you die. When it starts beating, you live.

Try telling a new mother who just heard she is pregnant with her first baby that she is is not a mother - she might not feel bonded yet, but she knows she carries another person inside her. Those who have been forced to become mothers involuntarily have my sympathy, but that child is still a potential genius for the world, a potential loving son to her, or a hoped-for daughter to another mother who can't naturally have her own through adoption. A hard time for that woman/girl no matter what she chooses, but there are two people involved once a heart starts beating and life is hard.

We all learn by horrible experiences and regret some things we did, and this is what the movie is about.

3 people like this post.
Laurane

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Sep 7th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Some people feel that the fetus is a person from day one, some later, some when viable, some when it takes it's first breath.

So no surprise that some people have picked "a detectible heartbeat" as the the critical point, which is around 6 to 8 weeks.
Other people would not feel that this is a baby. So no we cannot say "we can't call it anything else", because different people call it very differently. Nothing wrong with calling it a person, a future professor, (odds are it won;t be), or whatever they want it to be.

Now if heartbeat doesn't work for some then this is not a baby to those people:For me, I can definitely call it something else, but that makes no difference because I am not trying to tell anyone else what they should believe,is the contents of their uterus, in this case, the size of a lentil, but of course, completely of soft blobby tissue.
https://www.babycentre.co.uk/6-weeks-pregnant

8 1/2 weeks: https://www.parentune.com/parent-blog/8 ... egnant/961

Certainly, some people have horrible experiences, they lose a pregnancy, their little lentil does not have a heartbeat, they have a baby they aren't prepared for, or they might get an abortion they should not have, or they are forced to have a baby they don't want. So a person should make that decision carefully. The vast majority of women do not regret the decision and are thankful that they have a choice (still), at least up to a point. They can take a medication that will bring on their period just as it normally would occur (obviously late tho). It does not have to be a traumatic experience, there are nurses and counsellors to help them when they are sure of what choice they have made. Having a baby when someone is nowhere near prepared to raise it for the next 20 years can also be traumatic. That is why we give people a choice.
Last edited by Silverstarqueen on Sep 8th, 2019, 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2528 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 7th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Having a baby when someone is nowhere near prepared to raise it for the next 20 years can also be traumatic. That is why we give people a choice.

Yes.

And I find it incredibly naive for someone to suggest that an abortion denies the world a 'genius'. Who is to say that the baby will not grow up to be a Jeffrey Dahmer, another Mugabe, or a Juana Barraza.
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6896 posts

Postby SaxonAD » Sep 8th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Abortion is gross. Any culture that allows the killing of its offspring is doomed.

two_shoes1mit likes this post.
SaxonAD

Liked in: 9 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 8th, 2019, 6:00 pm

^^Your prediction is without merit as it hasn't happened yet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_abortion

Also scroll back a page and read what I quoted from the bible on the topic of infanticide. Do some research, ok?
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby Glacier » Sep 9th, 2019, 10:07 am

SaxonAD wrote:Abortion is gross. Any culture that allows the killing of its offspring is doomed.

No society is perfect. Even well functioning societies have gross elements.

I agree though that abortion, especially late term, is gross. https://twitter.com/liberalnotlefty/sta ... 20640?s=19
“Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die”

two_shoes1mit likes this post.
Glacier
Admiral HMS Castanet

Liked in: 12715 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Sep 9th, 2019, 6:44 pm

Residents of New Mexico, where woman in above got her abortion, have reduced the number of abortions from 5600 in 2005 to 3000 in 2017 (nearly half). So rather than focussing on one woman, perhaps the over-all effort to reduce the number of procidures should be encouraging.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 9th, 2019, 6:54 pm

I'm not sure why we should focus on the US. We live in Canada:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/08/2 ... _23510526/

A brief history of abortion in Canada
Pre-1800: Abortion before four months, when fetal movements (called "quickening") began, is legal.

1983: A Gallup poll finds that 72 per cent of Canadians think the decision about having an abortion should be decided between a woman and her doctor, without government intervention.

1988: In the landmark “Morgentaler ruling,” the Supreme Court of Canada strikes down the existing abortion law on the grounds that it violated women’s Section 7 Charter rights to “life, liberty and security of person.” The ruling states the existing law “clearly interferes with a woman’s physical and bodily integrity.”

There is more in the link provided above.

Silverstarqueen likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Postby bb49 » Sep 9th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Silverstarqueen wrote:Residents of New Mexico, where woman in above got her abortion, have reduced the number of abortions from 5600 in 2005 to 3000 in 2017 (nearly half). So rather than focussing on one woman, perhaps the over-all effort to reduce the number of procidures should be encouraging.

I presume the above numbers are for legal abortions, those approved by the New Mexico medical system.
But when people want abortions outlawed, they are referring to legal abortions. What they fail to realize is that illegal abortions will not only continue but increase as it's unlikely the demand will change much.
By banning abortions, even more mothers are put in a precarious position with these back alley abortions.
At least with legal abortions, they are done in a medical facility, improving the health and safety of the mother.
Diversity is our Burden
bb49
Fledgling

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Sep 10th, 2019, 9:17 am

The number also will not include people who have travelled to another state to access abortion services (sometimes people would like anonymity, may not trust local doctors not to gossip). Here in B.c. there was in an incident where records were accessed of people who had sought medical services that they naturally not want publicized. Knowing that people have been threatened or even shot for performing abortions, security of medical information has to be a concern.I wonder if that drives some people to illegal abortions as well.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Previous

Return to Social Concerns