Okanagan landlords speak out about renter

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Okanagan landlords speak out about renter

Postby oneh2obabe » Jul 21st, 2019, 8:02 am

From their web site ...

Naborly offers unlimited FREE tenant screening & credit reports to every landlord & property manager in the United States and Canada. Optional criminal background checks are free for US customers and only $25 for Canadian customers. There are NO ANNUAL FEES and NO HIDDEN COSTS. We make money by simply offering tenants the option to purchase their Renter's Insurance with us once they are approved for a property.
Dance as if no one's watching, sing as if no one's listening, and live everyday as if it were your last.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

raft-cove likes this post.
oneh2obabe
feistres Goruchaf y Bwrdd

Liked in: 7786 posts

Postby the truth » Jul 21st, 2019, 8:33 am

Bsuds wrote:He is one person who deserves to be homeless!

just another kelowna slim ball
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
the truth
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 7848 posts

Postby John Crawford » Jul 21st, 2019, 9:52 am

GordonH wrote:Every potential rental unit owner/manger from Sicamous to Osoyoos should have his picture.
It's their choice to rent or not to rent to this person.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1029492343830786/2467733853339954/?comment_id=2470487373064602&notif_id=1563592556790356&notif_t=group_comment
John Crawford
Fledgling

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby Mike Br. » Jul 22nd, 2019, 4:29 pm

Never had deadbeats, thanks to credit checks. They can weasel around just about everything in the application form, but they can’t fake their credit history. It costs about $20 per check, but with a group discount (landlords association) it drops down to $10/check. Worth every penny.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!

mexi cali likes this post.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 679 posts

Postby raft-cove » Jul 22nd, 2019, 5:38 pm

alanjh595 wrote:I reviewed the link provided and didn't see anything to support that.

https://naborly.com/

That's ok, I had posted several different links relating to the service.

From the link provided, their website says, "Tenant screening you can trust.
We use AI to help landlords automatically and securely verify their tenant's identity, income, and employment, while also providing a complete credit report and criminal background check ABSOLUTELY FREE!"
raft-cove

Liked in: 10 posts

Postby Mike Br. » Jul 22nd, 2019, 6:10 pm

raft-cove wrote: ... while also providing a complete credit report and criminal background check ABSOLUTELY FREE!"

Credit, and especially criminal background checks are NOT FREE. Anyone offering that, would raise some red flags here.

normaM likes this post.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby raft-cove » Jul 23rd, 2019, 8:45 am

https://www.canadianrealestatemagazine.ca/news/naborly-protects-landlords-investments-253926.aspx

From the article above:

“To get a credit file from either of the credit bureaus, they have to pay for it and a set-up fee for the individual’s report, but there’s a heavy credentialing process to pull somebody’s file,” said Werniuk. “Even when the landlord gets a credit file, they don’t know how to read it. They don’t know exactly what an R9 is or how someone paying a cell phone bill on time impacts their ability to pay rent. So credit is not necessarily a good tool for independent landlords.”

Naborly builds a different type of credit report using critical criteria like contemporary cost of living and verifiable income to determine a potential tenant’s ability to pay rent. It has proven so popular that, when it launched in February 2018, Naborly screened 100 people a week. Now, it screens at least that many people in a day.

"The biggest feedback we’ve received from landlords is our tool is amazing at assessing risk so that they can properly evaluate whether or not to accept the rental application,” said Werniuk. However, there remain risks that are extremely difficult to predict. Landlords have said that many of their previous evictions were due to circumstances that changed after the tenant moved in, like job loss or some other unforeseen, and expensive, event in their lives. Nobody can predict those things.”
raft-cove

Postby Mike Br. » Jul 23rd, 2019, 8:56 am

raft-cove wrote:“To get a credit file from either of the credit bureaus, they have to pay for it and a set-up fee for the individual’s report, but there’s a heavy credentialing process to pull somebody’s file,” said Werniuk. “Even when the landlord gets a credit file, they don’t know how to read it. They don’t know exactly what an R9 is or how someone paying a cell phone bill on time impacts their ability to pay rent.

Sounds like someone promoting his business. Nothing wrong with that, but obtaining credit checks is really simple, and reports are easy to read. Deadabeats usually leave a long trail of fiscal irresponsibilities. All info here ... http://bclandlords.ca/

mexi cali likes this post.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby raft-cove » Jul 23rd, 2019, 9:11 am

There's plenty more effective ways to advertise than on a message board in small town BC. I noted the problem tenant discussion and offered a solution to avoiding them going forward. The rest is up to the readers.
raft-cove

Postby Even Steven » Jul 23rd, 2019, 10:31 am

raft-cove wrote:We use AI to help landlords automatically and securely verify their tenant's identity, income, and employment, while also providing a complete credit report and criminal background check ABSOLUTELY FREE!"

It's probably free to the landlords, but potential tenants have to pay when they get the email from the website.
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2475 posts

Postby Jmfva » Jul 23rd, 2019, 11:06 am

Jmfva
Übergod

Liked in: 1254 posts

Postby raft-cove » Jul 23rd, 2019, 11:11 am

Even Steven wrote:
raft-cove wrote:We use AI to help landlords automatically and securely verify their tenant's identity, income, and employment, while also providing a complete credit report and criminal background check ABSOLUTELY FREE!"

It's probably free to the landlords, but potential tenants have to pay when they get the email from the website.

Directly from the company's customer service e-mail:

"We are delighted that you have taken an interest in Naborly!

Unfortunately, tenants are unable Screen themselves as the only way you can receive a Naborly Application is from your prospective Landlord or Property Manager. They will need to have a Landlord account with Naborly before they can invite you to complete an online Rental Application.

To answer your questions on cost, I have included this article link here, which breaks down the costs and Reports if you are still curious to learn more.

https://support.naborly.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016048691-How-much-does-it-cost-and-what-is-the-difference-between-the-Reports-?source=search&auth_token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJhY2NvdW50X2lkIjoyNDEwMjUwLCJ1c2VyX2lkIjozNzE1NjM3NDI0MTEsInRpY2tldF9pZCI6MTc3NzgxLCJjaGFubmVsX2lkIjo2MywidHlwZSI6IlNFQVJDSCIsImV4cCI6MTU2NjQ5NjYzMX0.O361KX8cNSzKx-ZqR8TUFilSVKKGGLDp8pxLx4xq-Bk"
raft-cove

Postby marvin gardens » Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:44 pm

I have reviewed some of the information here regarding an Tenant checking service, (Naborly) that is available to landords.
It is important for clients and landlords to be aware there is legislation in B.C. that stipulates what imformation can be asked from a prospective tenent.
Items being suggested such as credit checks credit card accounts etc., are possibly excluded.
It would also appear that most of the problerms related to landlord tenant issues are related to small time landlords 1 or 2 houses etc opposed to corporations that are in the business of rentals.The former buying overpriced houses not allowing for other related costs and expecting the tenant to pay for and or exceed the landlords morgage and related expenses from the get go.That is not how business works
Information on local rental sites in many cases indicate this. eg...2 bedroom house..upper floor...utilities 60 percent with downstairs tenent...no loud noise, no overnight visitors..shared driveway...garage for use of owner...no pets..1800 per month..September til May...must provide credit check, employment information..references, including bank etc etc.
Another advertises ...2800 month..snow clearing and lawn maintenance responsibility of renter...Call Phoneix Arizonia...000-000-0000
These two examples are just two of many and are recipes for big problems between landlords and tenants
marvin gardens

Liked in: 39 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Jul 23rd, 2019, 2:56 pm

Potential landlords can NOT check,
Previous Hydro/Fortis history.
Previous Gas payments.
Virtually everything that relates to previous rentals. All protected by the "Right to Privacy" laws.

They can,
check criminal and civil records that are available online.
Facebook pages.
and call all previous landlords who's names and addresses that were noted on the rental application, of course the tenant would never offer up any information that might be negative.

I, for one, might have difficulty obtaining a rental, just because I have no rental history that could be verified, since I am a long-term owner.......I guess, I could always write myself a letter of reference? I don't know, I haven't had the need to try and rent since I was 20 years old.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4842 posts

Postby Mike Br. » Jul 23rd, 2019, 4:13 pm

alanjh595 wrote:Potential landlords can NOT check,
Previous Hydro/Fortis history.
Previous Gas payments.
Virtually everything that relates to previous rentals. All protected by the "Right to Privacy" laws.

They can,
check criminal and civil records that are available online.
Facebook pages.
and call all previous landlords who's names and addresses that were noted on the rental application, of course the tenant would never offer up any information that might be negative.

I, for one, might have difficulty obtaining a rental, just because I have no rental history that could be verified, since I am a long-term owner.......I guess, I could always write myself a letter of reference? I don't know, I haven't had the need to try and rent since I was 20 years old.

Credit checks are allowed, previous rental history (i.e. references) as well. I also give applicants an option to provide their SIN, because I think, it is in their best interest.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns