Okanagan landlords speak out about renter

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Okanagan landlords speak out about renter

Postby John Crawford » Jul 26th, 2019, 11:01 am

Well, Mr Starkes, had his court date changed, according to the court records he needed to consult with his lawyer. He is most likely able to afford a lawyer will all the rent monies he has not paid. Todate there are now 7 landlords that he has defaulted on rent with, and stole from, this is not hearsay but documented and videos.
The police keep saying its a private issue not criminal, this is very hard to believe, when he keeps repeating the same scam, puts down the DD, sometimes pays the first months rent, then lives rent free until the beurocratic system gets him out three months later, he then steal property(video evidence) to raise monies for the scam.
John Crawford
Fledgling

Liked in: 111 posts

Postby John Crawford » Jul 26th, 2019, 12:30 pm

we have many intelligent people on Castanet Forums, so I, going to pose a question, as I cannot obtain an intelligent, sensible answer from the Residential Tenancy Branch.
this is the verbiage from the RTB
"You must serve the full package including all evidence to each respondent separately, within one day of this email, no later than: July 26, 2018. Your method of service delivery was pre-determined when your application was processed. You can post the package on the door.
You may serve these documents either by handing it to each respondent in person, posting to the respondent door, or by sending the documents to each respondent by Canada Post registered mail in separate envelopes.
To clarify in person means that each respondent must have their package handed to them personally no later than the stated date. If posted to the door the package must be posted no later than the stated date.
This package cannot be delivered by any electronic method. Service by Canada Post registered mail means that the individual envelopes must be in the Canada Post Registered mail system by the stated deadline, it does not need to be delivered by this date. Private courier service is not an acceptable method of service"

the recipient, (Scammer Thief, Lier) will only provide the address from which he was evicted from, He was evicted to preempt his actions where previously he stole and damaged seven or more other rental properties, this statement is supported by RTB documents and Surveillance Video, therefore the instruction from the RTB cannot be fulfilled, even though he has acknowledge receiving the package by replying with derogatory comments. He cannot access the complex due to the fobs being cancelled, we are certain he is acting in this manner, knowing how to use and abuse the system

Question"
How would you go about dealing with this bureaucratic nightmare, they will only accept documentation, when the correct boxes have ticks in them with no regard to the way people abuse the system

Being on the Forums page for some time, I know we have contributors out there, who could come up with a constructive intelligent answer.
John Crawford
Fledgling

Postby Mike Br. » Jul 26th, 2019, 12:49 pm

John Crawford wrote:... so I, going to pose a question

First off, what documents are you trying to serve Mr. Scammer Thief, Lier? It sounds to me like some court docs. Also, If the person in question has already been evicted, as it sounds, then what does RTB have to do with this? Their jurisdiction is only within tenancy.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 679 posts

Postby John Crawford » Jul 26th, 2019, 5:45 pm

Mike Br. wrote:
John Crawford wrote:... so I, going to pose a question

First off, what documents are you trying to serve Mr. Scammer Thief, Lier? It sounds to me like some court docs. Also, If the person in question has already been evicted, as it sounds, then what does RTB have to do with this? Their jurisdiction is only within tenancy.

Due to his past record that only came to light AFTER he took up occupancy, a ten eviction notice was issued, then a stream of lies, as to why he could not pay, that his mother would pay, then the ultimate one, his son had died, he gave the name of the funeral parlor in vancouver, that when the the red flag went up. subsequently found out his references were false, and that he did $15,000 worth of damage and theft from his previous landlord, then found out he did the same to the one before that, and on and on 7 landlords. illegal or not the door was locked, (he did not have any personal items in the unit anyway)
the documents we are trying to serve are repossession documents due to the fact he has filed for damages due to being locked out. however, he knows the system so well, he has put down the unit as his address knowing full well he cannot access the complex, to retrieve any documents that are posted on the door.
John Crawford
Fledgling

Postby zoo » Jul 26th, 2019, 8:55 pm

Here is why the RTB is a joke and does not work.
If the tenant whens a dispute, you know where the landlord lives, you can collect money from him that is owing, you can easily find an address, work location, etc.

Now, if the landlord wins a dispute, good luck, no address, no known work location, good luck ever finding your ex tenant, after he destroys your home, steals your cash, because the same system refuses to assist when its time for the landlord to collect.

bottom line is, when the tenant screws the landlord nothing can be done, nothing, good luck.
zoo
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 264 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jul 26th, 2019, 9:02 pm

John Crawford wrote:
Bsuds wrote:He is one person who deserves to be homeless!

As much as I would like to agree with you, I would not like to see anyone homeless, and unfortunately he has a son (17yrs old) with challengers, and he is using his son as a shield. apparently some time ago he (the father, Sean Starkes) was in a social housing complex, however, he was evicted, (reasons unknown and not published)

OMG.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4484 posts

Postby mexi cali » Jul 26th, 2019, 9:13 pm

I have written previously about my own shiiity experience with *bleep* renters. I will never again rent a property to anyone who doesn't share my DNA.

This guy needs to be taught how it is impolite to take advantage of peoples property. I care not one friggin ounce for his history, why his kid is whatever he is. He is the poster child for those who..... I will leave that to you.

However, If I were to suffer a stroke and not take my own advice and found myself once more with aresholes in my house, I would take their shiiiit and put it in the front yard and take my chances in court.

The RTB is not interested in fair. They aren't capable at their current staffing levels to deal with ten per cent of what appears before them and landlords are being bent over and have to suffer the losses because of it.

This is why you don't post after several pops.

John Crawford likes this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Postby Mike Br. » Jul 27th, 2019, 8:15 am

zoo wrote:Here is why the RTB is a joke and does not work.
bottom line is, when the tenant screws the landlord nothing can be done, nothing, good luck.

Well, it could be done, but it’s a lengthy and costly process. In most cases, unless done out of personal satisfaction, it’s not worth time and money.
Just to add another blatant example of RTB’s bias. At the (dispute) hearings, tenants are entitled to a FREE legal aid, whereas landlords need to lawyer up on their own dime. It’s like a boxing match with one hand tied behind your back.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 679 posts

Postby Silverstarqueen » Jul 27th, 2019, 12:19 pm

I decided years ago that renting out was just not worth the risk. I had been scammed to some degree, but quickly realized that if the renter really got serious they could do far more damage, which I would never recoup. So I sold the place. Best decision ever. Even if you've had good renters for years, it only takes one to really screw up your property and leave you with bills that will never be repaid.

5 people like this post.
Silverstarqueen
Guru

Liked in: 2528 posts

Postby Leifer » Jul 30th, 2019, 1:53 pm

I decided years ago that renting out was just not worth the risk.

Our neighbors across the street came to that conclusion after their latest tenants finally vacated the basement suite. The owners had been trying to get rid of them for a while....
This :cuss: couple were running a "Dial a Dope" operation out of their rental.

https://www.castanet.net/news/West-Kelowna/256002/Dial-a-dope-ring-busted

That was the straw that broke the camels back....they are pulling the suite out of the market.
Two essential strategies for success.

1) Never reveal all you know
2)

2 people like this post.
Leifer
Board Meister

Liked in: 1162 posts

Postby Xislander » Jul 30th, 2019, 3:25 pm

Add us to the list of those scammed by this man. His modus operandi - rent from naive or sympathetic landlords.
In early 2000s - provided phony references and number to call (was his wife).

Pay rent for a couple of months, then stop paying. Always excuses, could only pay 1/4 rent because wife needed surgery.
Finally after notice of eviction, slip out in the dark of night. Rental unit destroyed. One ton of garbage taken to dump. Appliances stolen. RTB hearing, found them in their new rental, enforcement orders served but ignored - they quietly moved out of town, rinse and repeat. We are still owed $7000 - which we will never see. When our property manager called the RCMP, they knew who it was right away before a name was provided - advised us to chalk it up to experience as he was always one step ahead of them. We had other landlords contact us (they had tracked him down to the home we rented to his family) and they also described incredible damage and theft of belongings.

Then the bottle debacle, where many kind-hearted Kelowna folks fell for his story about the stolen bottles. He soon disappeared, showing up in the Shuswap - advertising as a recycling business!

Also on the news a couple of years ago in Vernon - a sad tale of how his 16 yr old sons birthday was spoiled by no one coming. Scam, scam, scam - and the wonderful, but naive folks in Vernon put on a wonderful party at their rental home - all the while Sean was pocketing whatever he could make out of it.

Then he starts advertising on fund raising sites as a single parent with a special needs child, that because of overdue water bill he was being evicted and needed $1000

Now he is back in Kelowna? What caring folks is he scamming now? I feel sorry for the three kids, being raised in that environment.

Warning to anyone coming in contact with anyone from this family, grab your wallet and run - you are dealing with a prolific offender!
Xislander

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby John Crawford » Aug 9th, 2019, 12:19 pm

After all the theft, and damage that Sean Starkes has caused to multiple property owners, with loss of monetary amounts varying between $15000 to over $100,000, the Residential Tenancy Board has made a decision in his favour and he is allowed back into the unit at 204 1088 Sunset Drive.
David McKinley, do you have the serial number of the TV he allegedly stole, as the unit has an extra TV.

I have stated this many times, the Residential Tenancy Branch, is a bureaucratic machine, which is not concerned about the outcome, as long as the procedure is followed, and the boxes are ticked. The Residential Tenancy Branch are very familiar with Sean Starkes, they have multiple case files on him, eleven (11) that I know of, however, they have chosen to ignore over two thousand, (2,000) pages of documents and pictures, on one file number alone, of the carnage that Sean Starkes has left behind him in every house that he has rented, from Salmon Arm to West Kelowna. The damage to David McKinley’s unit was caused during the period when Mr. McKinley was applying to the Residential Tenancy Board and they coming to a decision.

The RCMP will only issue a file number, however, that is as far as it goes, They the RCMP have issued five (5) files numbers, that I am aware of, in regards to Sean Starkes, they have informed the owners that the theft of the appliances and damage to the units are of a civil nature, my question is, when is the threshold crossed and his behaviour becomes criminal.

When I refer to common decency, I am referring to the text message to a PM, where he stated the rent was late being paid due to the passing of his son, which I might add did not happen.

He is using the bureaucratic machine, to his advantage and the Residential Tenancy Board is allowing it to happen, and in doing so denying tenants and property owners who have genuine grievances access to the procedures
John Crawford
Fledgling

Postby oldtrucker » Aug 9th, 2019, 12:43 pm

Sounds like the victims need to get together and plan a little' rental' trap with some old skool rednecks for a old skool lickin...
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.

3 people like this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1481 posts

Postby mexi cali » Aug 14th, 2019, 8:47 am

Just reading about this guy makes my stomach turn.
mexi cali
Guru

Postby John Crawford » Aug 21st, 2019, 1:36 pm

'17 years of pure hell:' Kelowna man calls out step-dad Sean Starkes for misdeeds.

very long story on another web based news site, regarding Sean Starkes and the way he treated in family, rental properties and contract jobs he was involved. unable to post link, i believe it may be restricted by castanet

ferri likes this post.
John Crawford
Fledgling

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns