Instead of a Dog License

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
stuphoto
Grand Pooh-bah

Instead of a Dog License

Post by stuphoto »

Rather than Dogs requiring a license how about requiring their owners to have a license.
Make it a graduated system similar to our Drivers License.
Pass the written and your allowed to have some like a Poodle, after 2 years a German Shepand after some special training pretty much any dog you want.
Get caught without a license and anywhere from a fine to jail time depending upon how friendly the dog is.
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Re: Instead of a Dog License

Post by Mike Br. »

I’ve never heard of a dog applying for a license. Aren’t dog owners license holders already?
Last edited by Mike Br. on Jul 22nd, 2019, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I mince no words. Spare me political correctness and platitudes!
tsayta
Lord of the Board

Post by tsayta »

My dog would not vouch for me. Might even turn informant
I have learned that to be with those I like is enough.
WW
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

tsayta wrote:My dog would not vouch for me. Might even turn informant

Every time I close my bedroom door at night, my cat hates me with a passion. I wonder, how would I look in the eyes of the pets police.
OKkayak
Walks on Forum Water

Post by OKkayak »

And testing works soooooooo well with driver's licenses [icon_lol2.gif]
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

and because no thread would be complete without suggesting Cat licenses. :)
Lilith would vouch for me to have the Owner License.. dog has the childhood I dreamt about!
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
LTD
Lord of the Board

Post by LTD »

stuphoto wrote:Rather than Dogs requiring a license how about requiring their owners to have a license.
Make it a graduated system similar to our Drivers License.
Pass the written and your allowed to have some like a Poodle, after 2 years a German Shepand after some special training pretty much any dog you want.
Get caught without a license and anywhere from a fine to jail time depending upon how friendly the dog is.

when I read comments like this I often think people should be tested or licensed before being allowed to have children as well
CapitalB
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by CapitalB »

These dog licenses seem like a huge scam, I had a guy try to give me a ticket for walking my moms dog once because I didn't know if she was licensed.

What exactly do citizens (both the ones with dogs and the ones without) get out of this licensing? I'm pretty sure its nothing.
So much of the violent push-back on everything progressive and reformist comes down to: I can see the future, and in this future I am not the centre of the universe and master of all that I survey, therefore this future must be resisted at all costs.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

CapitalB wrote: I had a guy try to give me a ticket for walking my moms dog once because I didn't know if she was licensed.

They provide a tag to be attached to the collar as proof and are supposed to be there. It also helps if the dog gets lost or runs away to help the owner get it back.
I got Married because I was sick and tired of finishing my own sentences.
That's worked out great for me!
Mike Br.
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Mike Br. »

Bsuds wrote:They provide a tag to be attached to the collar as proof and are supposed to be there. It also helps if the dog gets lost or runs away to help the owner get it back.

You can get the same tag yourself at Walmart, Canadian Tire, or any pet store, and engrave it with your and the vet's phone number, for about $5-10, one time cost. Other than that, no difference.
Ace Storman

Post by Ace Storman »

I do support licensing of all dogs. Id's the type of dog you have, provides good uniform identification for the return of the animal in case it somehow got loose. It provides some additional revenue to operate the dog control / SPCA system. At $20 per dog (spayed / neutered ) that reasonable. I am happy to license all my dogs annually.
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Ace Storman wrote:I do support licensing of all dogs. Id's the type of dog you have, provides good uniform identification for the return of the animal in case it somehow got loose. It provides some additional revenue to operate the dog control / SPCA system. At $20 per dog (spayed / neutered ) that reasonable. I am happy to license all my dogs annually.

At $20 per dog and approximately 20,000 dogs in the RDCO brings the total extortion to $400,000 annually to "police" dogs. This can support 2 full time admin assistants and 2 fulltime bylaw "dog" officers with $100,000 leftover for who knows what. Do you really think this money is used for that? Nope, every year they send around collectors to finish off the extortion and then fine the people who didn't pay up to cover the expense of the guy walking around or calling to find out if your dog died.

Unless anyone here has a good explanation as to where $400,000 is spent each year and can directly relate that to dog expenses then it's safe to say this is just a money grab.
Brerrabbit18
Fledgling

Post by Brerrabbit18 »

Unless anyone here has a good explanation as to where $400,000 is spent each year and can directly relate that to dog expenses then it's safe to say this is just a money grab.

Why all the whining? You own a dog, pay the stupid fee.
The city has to police the loose ones, keep up dog parks etc, house the dogs with no tags when they get picked up.

They are "supposedly" a part of the family from what all my friends tell me.
Pay up and shut up already.
Kelownah
Fledgling

Post by Kelownah »

I won't pay, sorry
Sparki55
Guru

Post by Sparki55 »

Brerrabbit18 wrote:Why all the whining? You own a dog, pay the stupid fee.
The city has to police the loose ones, keep up dog parks etc, house the dogs with no tags when they get picked up.

They are "supposedly" a part of the family from what all my friends tell me.
Pay up and shut up already.

:135:

Really? Just pay your taxes and shut up then too. No need for accountability, guess you'll be first in line to licence your cats and fish too.

When the city wants a fee for everything it's excessive.

Maybe dog fees should be $10 a dog, brings in $200,000. Why the hostility to people who work hard for a living and try and save money?

Return to “Social Concerns”