Instead of a Dog License

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Instead of a Dog License

Postby stuphoto » Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:16 pm

Sparki55 wrote:
Ace Storman wrote:I do support licensing of all dogs. Id's the type of dog you have, provides good uniform identification for the return of the animal in case it somehow got loose. It provides some additional revenue to operate the dog control / SPCA system. At $20 per dog (spayed / neutered ) that reasonable. I am happy to license all my dogs annually.

At $20 per dog and approximately 20,000 dogs in the RDCO brings the total extortion to $400,000 annually to "police" dogs. This can support 2 full time admin assistants and 2 fulltime bylaw "dog" officers with $100,000 leftover for who knows what. Do you really think this money is used for that? Nope, every year they send around collectors to finish off the extortion and then fine the people who didn't pay up to cover the expense of the guy walking around or calling to find out if your dog died.

Unless anyone here has a good explanation as to where $400,000 is spent each year and can directly relate that to dog expenses then it's safe to say this is just a money grab.

I don't think anyone would mind if it included an insurance, where if your dog attacks someone or gets attacked by another dog the medical bills were paid.

However as it stands you are right, just a money grab.

Sparki55 likes this post.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 571 posts

Postby Brerrabbit18 » Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:48 pm

Maybe dog fees should be $10 a dog, brings in $200,000. Why the hostility to people who work hard for a living and try and save money?

Why the hostility? Pretty easy really.

A Lot of dog owners are great. I myself love dogs and have a beautiful Alaskan Malamute I've been lucky enough to keep healthy for the last 12 years.

The flip side of that, is the number of people that own dogs that think the rules don't apply to them and their pet. At the beach with the dog off the leash, miles of dog *bleep* on the Rail trail they never pick up..I could write a novel.

So when I hear the constant complaining about "more dog parks" etc, and in the same breath complain about paying a measly $40 that actually PROTECTS your pets you claim to love so much, all I hear is a whiny child throwing a tantrum.

2 people like this post.
Brerrabbit18

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby LTD » Jul 23rd, 2019, 12:54 pm

Brerrabbit18 wrote:
Maybe dog fees should be $10 a dog, brings in $200,000. Why the hostility to people who work hard for a living and try and save money?

Why the hostility? Pretty easy really.

A Lot of dog owners are great. I myself love dogs and have a beautiful Alaskan Malamute I've been lucky enough to keep healthy for the last 12 years.

The flip side of that, is the number of people that own dogs that think the rules don't apply to them and their pet. At the beach with the dog off the leash, miles of dog *bleep* on the Rail trail they never pick up..I could write a novel.

So when I hear the constant complaining about "more dog parks" etc, and in the same breath complain about paying a measly $40 that actually PROTECTS your pets you claim to love so much, all I hear is a whiny child throwing a tantrum.

I would love to hear how that 40$ protects my dogs and by the way my tax dollars pay for dog parks just like they pay for basketball courts and beaches I don't use
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3817 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Jul 23rd, 2019, 2:45 pm

Brerrabbit18 wrote:Why the hostility? Pretty easy really. Nothing you wrote below explains why you are being hostile to someone simply looking for answers as to why the fees are set at $20.

A Lot of dog owners are great. I myself love dogs and have a beautiful Alaskan Malamute I've been lucky enough to keep healthy for the last 12 years. Good for you! You're a great human dog owner!

The flip side of that, is the number of people that own dogs that think the rules don't apply to them and their pet. At the beach with the dog off the leash, miles of dog *bleep* on the Rail trail they never pick up..I could write a novel. does the money collected from the dog licence extortion pay to buy leashes or pick up dog poop? If it doesn't, how is this relevant?

So when I hear the constant complaining about "more dog parks" etc, and in the same breath complain about paying a measly $40 that actually PROTECTS Where does the fee protect my pet? You buy a microchip, ear tattoo and take Fido to the vet every once and awhile. What does the RDCO do for a pet? They just claim that they may be able to help if your dog is licensed but they don't say it works better than any other methods of identification. your pets you claim to love so much, all I hear is a whiny child throwing a tantrum.

2 people like this post.
Sparki55
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 893 posts

Postby Cdnlass » Aug 17th, 2019, 9:07 am

stuphoto wrote:Rather than Dogs requiring a license how about requiring their owners to have a license.
Make it a graduated system similar to our Drivers License.
Pass the written and your allowed to have some like a Poodle, after 2 years a German Shepand after some special training pretty much any dog you want.
Get caught without a license and anywhere from a fine to jail time depending upon how friendly the dog is.

Can't even begin to tell you how much I agree with you. While it may seem like a pain to some people, others will understand that there are people who just shouldn't have pets. Its such a shame to see so many animals being abused and neglect or put down for "bad behaviour".

stuphoto likes this post.
Cdnlass

Liked in: 21 posts

Postby Grandan » Aug 18th, 2019, 4:50 pm

Sparki55 wrote:
Brerrabbit18 wrote:Why all the whining? You own a dog, pay the stupid fee.
The city has to police the loose ones, keep up dog parks etc, house the dogs with no tags when they get picked up.

They are "supposedly" a part of the family from what all my friends tell me.
Pay up and shut up already.

:135:

Really? Just pay your taxes and shut up then too. No need for accountability, guess you'll be first in line to licence your cats and fish too.

When the city wants a fee for everything it's excessive.

To start with you should know that it is the Regional District of Central Okanagan (RDCO) that administer "Dog Control"
Responsible owners know it is a small price to pay for better chances of having your dog returned to you when it runs away.
If you can afford the cost of dog food you certainly can afford a license fee.
Then there are the dimwits who think they can fight dog control in court and run up ridiculous legal fees (on both sides).
Add in the cost of numerous specialized vehicles to transport the mutts and maintaining and staffing the pound for 24 hours a day and the costs mount fast.
There was a proposal for cat licenses in the RDCO about 10 years ago but directors took it as a joke and did not proceed to enact it. In general, the coyotes keep the cat population from getting out of hand.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1004 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Aug 18th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Grandan wrote:To start with you should know that it is the Regional District of Central Okanagan (RDCO) that administer "Dog Control" ok :up:
Responsible owners know it is a small price to pay for better chances of having your dog returned to you when it runs away.you pay each time your dog ends up in the pound, it ain't cheap. First ones free.
If you can afford the cost of dog food you certainly can afford a license fee. Of course you can, doesn't mean you should have to pay for this.
Then there are the dimwits who think they can fight dog control in court and run up ridiculous legal fees (on both sides).yup, dumb people everywhere.
Add in the cost of numerous specialized vehicles to transport the mutts and maintaining and staffing the pound for 24 hours pound isn't open 24/7 and it's impossible to get ahold of them in off hours a day and the costs mount fast.
There was a proposal for cat licenses in the RDCO about 10 years ago but directors took it as a joke and did not proceed to enact it. In general, the coyotes keep the cat population from getting out of hand.

Should be 100% used based system. Dog ends up at pound, you pay to cover all costs.

tsayta likes this post.
Sparki55
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 893 posts

Postby stuphoto » Aug 19th, 2019, 3:11 am

Grandan wrote:Add in the cost of numerous specialized vehicles to transport the mutts and maintaining and staffing the pound for 24 hours a day and the costs mount fast.

Looks like it's a $300 fine for an unlicensed dog.
More on the subject here.
https://www.regionaldistrict.com/your-s ... ntrol.aspx

Just so everyone knows, I wasn't exactly kidding when I started this post.
We have all seen and read about some pet owners, who have no intentions of controlling their animals.
A graduated system, which involves harsh penalties may discourage this, and if it doesn't work they get jail time.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Postby Mkatee8 » Aug 21st, 2019, 12:49 am

CapitalB wrote:These dog licenses seem like a huge scam, I had a guy try to give me a ticket for walking my moms dog once because I didn't know if she was licensed.

What exactly do citizens (both the ones with dogs and the ones without) get out of this licensing? I'm pretty sure its nothing.

Licensing also goes towards the dog parks, beaches and many other things people don't realize. And I appreciate rdco. I've maybe seen them check up on the dog park once. Happened to be after a dog owner was losing his mind about something and verbally attacked someone, so he got fined.

Think of dog licensing more like a tax than anything--but it's also to keep a record of dog behavior when issues arise.

spooker likes this post.
Mkatee8

Liked in: 4 posts

Postby Cdnlass » Aug 21st, 2019, 11:02 am

I was thinking that people should need licenses to own dogs so the ones who have no intention of caring for them or properly training them would be dissuaded from it. There are so many dogs who are only aggressive because A) their owners are not educated in certain breeds and how to train them or B) the dogs are treated badly and/or neglected and learn the behaviour as a way to survive. Dogs are not inherently bad. They are like children. If you teach them and nurture them, they will act in kind. If you neglect them and leave them to their own devices, their actions will reflect that.

kgcayenne likes this post.
Cdnlass

Liked in: 21 posts

Postby LTD » Aug 21st, 2019, 12:14 pm

Mkatee8 wrote:
CapitalB wrote:These dog licenses seem like a huge scam, I had a guy try to give me a ticket for walking my moms dog once because I didn't know if she was licensed.

What exactly do citizens (both the ones with dogs and the ones without) get out of this licensing? I'm pretty sure its nothing.

Licensing also goes towards the dog parks, beaches and many other things people don't realize. And I appreciate rdco. I've maybe seen them check up on the dog park once. Happened to be after a dog owner was losing his mind about something and verbally attacked someone, so he got fined.

Think of dog licensing more like a tax than anything--but it's also to keep a record of dog behavior when issues arise.

no my TAX dollars pay for dog parks and beaches they also pay for things I don't use like basketball courts and ball diamonds dog licensing is a scam period
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3817 posts

Postby stuphoto » Aug 23rd, 2019, 6:57 pm

This is just one example why I think dog owners should have some sort of licensing system.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Vernon/26 ... hree-ducks
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Previous

Return to Social Concerns