Rental situation for single females

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Rental situation for single females

Postby Mkatee8 » Aug 4th, 2019, 10:16 pm

When you only make minimum wage, and you are a single woman, the only option is really to rent a cheap room.
I picked my friend up late last night after her second night in a new place. I can't say what happened but she was shaken up.
There's just not enough affordable housing for single people. When you want to have your own safe place, there's not much under $1200. At working full time at $17.50 (above min wage) you make $2700 before taxes. Then there's $150 for car insurance, plus rental insurance, gas, groceries and I will rarely have any left over. So seeing my friend on minimum wage, the only option she has is a room, and there's really not much out there.

The city is approving all these massive high rises and really pushing affordable housing to the back burner. Sure, housing people from the streets is important. But they forget about the people who are working honestly and need safe housing.

Way too many young women get taken advantage of when it comes to renting a room. Maybe there should be tighter rules surrounding the room rental situation, but I don't even know enough about it.

2 people like this post.
Mkatee8

Liked in: 4 posts

Re: Rental situation for single females

Postby kgcayenne » Aug 5th, 2019, 9:24 am

My heart goes out to your friend. While I was a single parent, I rented a studio-ish basement area to young women, the last of which had come to us from a situation that was stressful and unsafe. I let her move in a week early and she broke down in tears of relief. It is incredibly difficult to find a matching set of circumstances.

Has your friend heard of Happipad? I would post the link, but it competes with Castanet’s classifieds and would likely be removed. It’s sufficiently google-able, though.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4647 posts

Postby bb49 » Aug 5th, 2019, 2:14 pm

Not sure what most of the rental situations are like out there, but I rent out a basement suite. I'm a bit surprised when you say there isn't much out there for under $1200. Mine is taken by a senior right now but in the past I did rent to a young single woman at $750/mo. I'm now charging $850 a month, so does that mean my rent is way too low?

It was a bit of a concern for me renting to her and felt I was taking a bit of a chance renting to a single person. There are always concerns about the renter and their various guests, and eventually having one of them move in. She was earning minimum wage, moved out after a couple of years and a couple of more years later she came back. A great tenant, but you never know. Renting can become your worst nightmare.
I wish her luck.
Diversity is our Burden

3 people like this post.
bb49
Fledgling

Liked in: 121 posts

Postby MAPearce » Aug 5th, 2019, 2:38 pm

Also try the various housing societies out there .. The Knights of Columbus have a few that give preference to single parents , seniors and families with income challenges and base rent on income .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4890 posts

Postby DarkMagna » Aug 6th, 2019, 12:01 pm

bb49 wrote:Not sure what most of the rental situations are like out there, but I rent out a basement suite. I'm a bit surprised when you say there isn't much out there for under $1200. Mine is taken by a senior right now but in the past I did rent to a young single woman at $750/mo. I'm now charging $850 a month, so does that mean my rent is way too low?

Just an example from my own rental situation. I'm renting a one bedroom apartment in Kelowna....near Burtch and 97, if that helps.

I'm top floor, about 800+ square feet, vaulted ceilings (16ft?), big kitchen skylight, secure underground parking with reserved stall.
$1067 per month.
DarkMagna

Liked in: 49 posts

Postby youjustcomplain » Aug 6th, 2019, 1:04 pm

I can't imagine trying to live off $17.50 per hour.

That said, being single and living alone are two different things. If you just look through classifieds for 1 bedroom suites, you're right, $1200 is pretty much what you'd find. Being a woman means that sharing a 2 bedroom suite comes with risks as you never know who else will be in the place with you at any given time. Something us men don't really worry about.

I don't think it's the city's responsibility to provide low cost housing to single woman though. Just like anyone else, if you can't afford to live here, then don't. Rent is a LOT cheaper the further away from cities you go. I realize the work opportunities are also poor as you get further from town, but I know people who have moved up to work camps up north to make ends meet. Maybe that should be a consideration. Though I can't say anything about the personal risk/safety that a woman may feel up there. The people I know who did this are woman and never commented on their safety, but it certainly doesn't mean they felt safe.

2 people like this post.
youjustcomplain
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 569 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Aug 6th, 2019, 1:59 pm

youjustcomplain wrote:Rent is a LOT cheaper the further away from cities you go. I realize the work opportunities are also poor as you get further from town, but I know people who have moved up to work camps up north to make ends meet. Maybe that should be a consideration. Though I can't say anything about the personal risk/safety that a woman may feel up there. The people I know who did this are woman and never commented on their safety, but it certainly doesn't mean they felt safe.

That’s right, because a comment of such nature would have them labeled a complainer and high maintenance. It’s far better for us to have our girls taught CQD and to be self sufficient. That way, they project the confidence that indicates they are too much trouble to take advantage of. Being a beyotch is a GOOD thing, losers avoid them.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.

Trixster likes this post.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4647 posts

Postby Even Steven » Aug 6th, 2019, 3:26 pm

youjustcomplain wrote:I can't imagine trying to live off $17.50 per hour.

It's actually not that hard but you have to be in good health, not have expensive hobbies, track your spending diligently, live a minimalistic lifestyle, and be willing to compromise on living arrangements. Forget about having a 2BR apartment just for yourself. If you're in a good relationship, it gets easier but no dinners at Qual's Gate for you.
Even Steven
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2475 posts

Postby MCB » Aug 6th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Move somewhere more affordable; I live in Central BC and pay 788 a month for a 1 bedroom apartment. If you're using your sex as an excuse I have a newsflash for you; the modern world isn't the 50's anymore!
MCB
Board Meister

Liked in: 90 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Aug 6th, 2019, 6:51 pm

I know of a place for rent that is about 6 minutes out of town- past the UBCO in Lake Country. < 300 sqft, self contained with its own entrance, Old picker shack I think. Can't drink the water and it would have rodents-lots of them as it's on a small acreage. $600. Other than the mice, it would be a quiet place to live in the (sort of) country.
Is that to much or about right? I think it has utilities included. If it was 500 or less, I would consider lowering my standard of living and rent it myself and save lotsa $$$ each month.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1481 posts

Postby normaM » Aug 7th, 2019, 5:37 am

For the price charged for renting a room I'd opt for a 2 bedroom place and get a roomie.
We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6431 posts

Postby Bsuds » Aug 7th, 2019, 5:48 am

normaM wrote:For the price charged for renting a room I'd opt for a 2 bedroom place and get a roomie.

Good plan but finding someone compatible is the difficult part.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

kgcayenne likes this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13230 posts

Postby normaM » Aug 7th, 2019, 6:40 am

When you rent a single room in a house how do you know the others will be compatible? You don't :)
I know many people with roomies they seem to get by - clear rules, chores assigned etc.
When you rent a room you don't get to set many if any rules. And the thread seemed to be about renting a room and then in sketchy sitchs.
We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6431 posts

Postby gman313 » Aug 8th, 2019, 11:24 am

normaM wrote:When you rent a single room in a house how do you know the others will be compatible? You don't :)
I know many people with roomies they seem to get by - clear rules, chores assigned etc.
When you rent a room you don't get to set many if any rules. And the thread seemed to be about renting a room and then in sketchy sitchs.

exactly - well said Norma.

I've known a few folks that rent a two bedroom then sublet to an international student for 8 months of the year. Another good option and you get the place to yourself all summer
gman313
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 1769 posts

Next

Return to Social Concerns