Greta Thunberg: teen activist the climate and eco crisis

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Greta Thunberg: teen activist the climate and eco crisis

Postby Catsumi » Sep 21st, 2019, 11:55 am

:topic:
People with opinions just go around bothering each other with them. (S. Gautama)
Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm. (W. Churchill)
Catsumi

Liked in: 6115 posts

Postby Jlabute » Sep 21st, 2019, 1:46 pm

Greta, who says “Even at 1 degree of warming we are seeing an unacceptable loss of life and livelihoods.” Has absolutely no clue what reality is or what she is talking about, or she is an intentional liar. The truth is the opposite. Thankfully most people know this.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/09/21/the-best-pushback-to-the-misinformation-of-gretathunberg-youll-find/

Even more ridiculous, Greta claims she can see CO2 with her eyes.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/05/02/quote-of-the-week-greta-thunberg-claims-to-be-able-to-see-carbon-dioxide-in-the-air/#comment-2694107

I feel so bad for those who follow this foolishness.
Trudunce meets Prudence.
or
I’m slick and tried on your shirt.

5 people like this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1869 posts

Postby Scorp » Sep 21st, 2019, 8:14 pm

Just catching up.

:up: to strikers and Castanet.

http://www.castanet.net/news/World/2663 ... e-protests

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/26 ... -go-global

http://www.castanet.net/news/Kelowna/26 ... ate-action

Video:

A message from Greta:

@GretaThunberg

Over 4 million on #ClimateStrike today. In 163 countries. And counting...
If you belong to the small number of people who feel threatened by us, then we we have some very bad news for you:

This is just the beginning. Change is coming - like it or not. #FridaysForFuture

http://twitter.com/GretaThunberg/status ... gr%5Etweet

From her speech yesterday during the New York City strike:

The next biggie is set for Friday the 27th.
Scorp
Board Meister

Liked in: 189 posts

Postby Scorp » Sep 22nd, 2019, 9:18 am

I had some down time this morning, so, for conservatives et al, I decided to transcribe Benji Backer's testimony to the US Congress a few days ago.

Scorp wrote:Replay:

Benji Backer, 46:20.

Good morning. My name is Benji Backer, president and founder of the American Conservation Coalition: a non-profit focused on bolstering conservative voices in environmental discussions. I’m also a twenty-one-year-old senior at the University of Washington in Seattle, and I would like to thank chairman . . ..

I’m also honoured to share this panel with Greta, Vic, and Jamie—each of you have played a critical role in generating worldwide awareness around this issue of climate change. So thank you.

I’m a lifelong conservative activist, but like most of my generation, regardless of political affiliation I believe that climate change is real. I believe that humans are making an impact. And with global emissions rising 1.7% last year, we’re at a crossroads in history.

My generation doesn’t care about the politics around climate change; we want productive discussions, realistic answers, and sound policies. Most importantly, I believe America plays a vital role in solving this problem, and that we must lead by example.

Between 2005 and 2017, as I already mentioned, we lead the world in emissions reductions--more than the next 12 countries combined--however, while our contribution to greenhouse gasses is declining we still contribute nearly 15% of global greenhouse gas emissions, which is the second most in the world.

However Americans have been told that one-size-fits-all approaches, such as the green new deal, are the only solutions. Such policies advocate for economic transformation that increases government control, spending, and regulations. These approaches inhibit innovations and are not an effective way to reduce emissions. In fact, countries with highly restricted emissions controlled economies such as Venezuela have disastrous environmental records; while on the other hand, countries leading in emissions reductions have some of the freest economic systems in the world. We can’t ignore this reality. And the fact of the matter is we cannot regulate our way out of climate change. Markets and competition reduce emissions far more than heavy-handed regulations.

A truly effective climate plan will capitalise on America’s strengths, technological advancement, and will power consumers, entrepreneurial spirited business, effective government, and bold global leadership. We need to de-carbonise fossil fuel emissions, increase the number of nuclear and hydropower plants, continue developing solar and wind and encourage research and development into other clean energy technologies. It’s easier to export innovative American technologies than (export) burdensome regulations to developing nations. We must also understand the privilege Americans bring into this conversation. Across the globe, those who can most easily adapt to climate change are wealthy and live in developed countries. It’s unfair to ask someone to make choices based on sustainability when they are struggling to survive. As we transition to cleaner energy landscapes in the United States and abroad we need to consider the most vulnerable in our world. There are still over one billion people without electricity world-wide. Transitioning to cleaner energy needs to happen, but it can’t happen overnight. Climate change conversations are often dominated by hopelessness and despair. In reality, fighting climate change is an opportunity to improve human health, lift people up, and grow the economy.
And I see promise in science. Many bi-partisan climate related bills have been introduced and passed in the last two years. We’re reducing emissions and creating remarkable new technologies. More Republicans are speaking out than ever before.
This innovation based approach is not limited to the United States either. Just yesterday the British Conservation Alliance, a group inspired by our organisation, the ACC, was launched by students in the United Kingdom to advocate for market based environment reforms. We’re making strides in the right direction, but we must do more. Each of us play a critical role in tackling climate change.

To my fellow conservatives, the climate is changing, (so) it’s time for us to claim a seat at the table, and (to) develop smart, limited government policies to establish American leadership on this issue. There is a reasonable Conservative approach to climate change and we need to embrace it.

To those on the left: without your leadership, this would not be receiving the attention it deserves, but now it’s time for solutions. Politicising climate change just deepens the partisan divide and delays real action. If you truly want to address climate change, work with conservatives who want to champion reforms.

To Congress: on climate change, it’s not about Republicans or Democrats. It’s about those who are taking effective action, and those who are not. Our conversations on climate change should be about cutting Global greenhouse gas emissions, not about political pandering.

To President Trump: climate science is real. It’s not a hoax. It’s accepted that humans are having a negative impact on our climate. As proud American, as a life-long conservative, and as a young person, I urge you to accept climate change for the reality it is and respond accordingly. We need your leadership.

And lastly, to young people: you have remarkable power. The four of us testifying up here today are all under the age of twenty-two. While the world is listening with open ears and hearts to our voices, just like yours, stand for what you believe in, up with the world, and don’t back down. Climate change is about our future and people need to hear you and us.

In conclusion: I grew up on the shores of Lake Minnequa in northern Wisconsin, where I connected with the outdoors early in life. Nature is where I find the most peace and calm within myself. That’s why I founded the American Conservation Coalition to fight for wild places and stop climate change from destroying them. The health of the environment affects all of us regardless of where we live, of our background, or our political affiliation. It’s time for Americans to join together, find solutions on climate change, and protect our planet for generations to come. Thank you.

And, to quickly counter in case anyone wants to argue that Greta is being partisan in her call for action, I’ll just add this:

“No One Seemed To Notice Greta Thunberg’s Critique Of The Green New Deal”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon ... a6c4f38dae

-------------------------------------------------

Oh, sorry, I had this teed up too, but forgot to add it.

@BenjiBacker

Climate strikes are productive in providing attention to climate change. There are plenty of young, inspirational voices.

However, the only way to make tangible action is through respectful and honest conversations around policy. I’m proud of @ACC_National for doing that today.

http://twitter.com/BenjiBacker/status/1 ... gr%5Etweet

Scorp
Board Meister

Postby Omnitheo » Sep 22nd, 2019, 2:39 pm

She’s right. Action on climate change does need to stop being “partisan”. All parties should work together to combat it, rather than what we’ve seen in the US where republicans block every attempt at meaningful action, and go as far as to reverse laws, including even those which had previous bipartisan support because they now view mitigating efforts to prevent the destruction of our environment as “left wing”.

It shouldn’t matter whether the bills as proposed by the left or the right. Politicians need to start voting for the common good, not simply against the other.

3 people like this post.
Omnitheo
Guru

Liked in: 4899 posts

Postby Laurane » Sep 22nd, 2019, 9:45 pm

I would like to see someone post 3 things that Penticton people can do to stop the Climate changing......

Fall is coming, then Winter, then Spring etc......and there will be all kinds of weather during these seasons. We learn not to expect the same every year, but we do recognize cycles of weather over many years. Anyone remember sliding down the snow pack from the second storey window to the ground where it built up with the wind blowing and the large amount of snow that fell that year?? (in the 1930s) It's probably going to happen again one of these days, in a winter, somewhere and people will claim they never heard of such a thing!

Nothing is new with the weather, it is just that many have not lived long enough to remember when it was memorable, and think everything is different now. It's not.

1791 likes this post.
Laurane

Liked in: 36 posts

Postby Scorp » Sep 23rd, 2019, 5:28 am

Laurane wrote:I would like to see someone post 3 things that Penticton people can do to stop the Climate changing......

Three things Penticton people (and everyone else) can do to stop the climate changing.

“Nature Now

There is a natural solution to the climate breakdown: protecting forests. Climate activist Greta Thunberg and writer/climate activist George Monbiot explain.”

http://www.conservation.org/video/natur ... a-thunberg
Scorp
Board Meister

Postby Jlabute » Sep 23rd, 2019, 7:12 am

Thanks Scorp, it doesn’t have to be partisan at all, individuals can do their 3 things without politicians... problem solved. Dump the carbon tax. So sad for the UN.

The Green New Deal will cost every household $600,000. It isn’t even realistic to instantly bankrupt a country unless your a sick communist. The Democratic Party isn’t realistic in their approach. Greta isn’t realistic. They will all eventually eat each other up and fade away. That’s why these topics are so greatly ignored but fun to watch. Democrats and Greta say “listen to the scientists, not us.”. Ok, well the scientists are calling you idiots, you “truly don’t get it”, and Republican politicians do not want to be lumped in with the idiots.

Top Climate Scientists are already calling democratic candidates idiots... might as well put Greta in there too. Time for all the democratic candidates to retire, not just Sanders.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/top-climate-scientist-to-bernie-sanders-youre-killing-people-in-india
Trudunce meets Prudence.
or
I’m slick and tried on your shirt.

Centurion likes this post.
Jlabute
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1869 posts

Postby Scorp » Sep 23rd, 2019, 7:31 am

Been hoping this would go live so I could post it before I go out the door :up:

"Greta Thunberg Attends the UN 2019 Climate Action Summit | NowThis"

Scorp
Board Meister

Postby Scorp » Sep 23rd, 2019, 11:54 am

A posting of Greta’s full Friday NYC strike speech.

Some really great points that didn't make it into the earlier clip that I posted.

Greta Thunberg in NYC (full speech) Global Climate Strike 09/20/19

But this is the one that's going viral today--Greta’s impassioned speech to the UN.

Scorp
Board Meister

Postby Scorp » Sep 23rd, 2019, 3:55 pm

Grrrrreta!

Last edited by Scorp on Sep 23rd, 2019, 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scorp
Board Meister

Postby Scorp » Sep 23rd, 2019, 7:47 pm

UN actions:

Climate Action Summit

New York, 23 September

Announcements

http://www.un.org/en/climatechange/announcements.shtml
Scorp
Board Meister

Postby Scorp » Sep 23rd, 2019, 8:06 pm

The best take I've seen yet. Greta herself could have appended it today.

GOLDSTEIN: UN's fat-cat hypocrites praise Greta Thunberg

http://torontosun.com/opinion/columnist ... a-thunberg

. . . But whatever one thinks of Thunberg, she’s right to be angry about the utter disconnect between what the UN and the signatories of the Paris Climate Accord — in Canada’s case Prime Minister Justin Trudeau— say about the threat of climate change, as opposed to what they do.

For three decades they have been flying into the world’s most expensive vacation resorts, holding meeting after meeting, year after year, preaching austerity for everyone but themselves.

And what has been the result of 30 years of global jet-setting, virtue signalling, expense-account crusading on the public’s dime and billions upon billions of taxpayer dollars already spent, with hundreds of billions more to come?

Global greenhouse gas emissions linked to human-induced climate change continue to rise — up 2.7% last year to a record 37.1 billion tonnes. Up in China, the world’s largest emitter, up in the U.S,. the second-largest, up in India, up in Canada and scores of other countries.

For that, we should not aim our anger at Greta Thunberg, but at the politicians who lied to her, to the children she represents and to all of us, because for three decades they have demanded austerity from us, but none for themselves.
Scorp
Board Meister

Postby oldtrucker » Sep 24th, 2019, 12:01 pm

I watched her speech last night.
I am watching a 16 year old girl become as powerful as a national leader... she is making the most powerful men on earth squirm.
Love it.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.

2 people like this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1481 posts

Postby seewood » Sep 24th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Terrific orator, but isn't she supposed to be in school?
I am not wealthy but I am rich

OKkayak likes this post.
seewood
Übergod

Liked in: 1647 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns