Poor quality and the year of returns.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Poor quality and the year of returns.

Postby Urban Cowboy » Aug 19th, 2019, 8:40 pm

Costco will also often purchase huge amounts of electronic inventory on the cheap, because it's already outdated, so the buyers think they're getting a fantastic deal but often not realizing that the model is already two versions behind what's current.

Nothing wrong with that, but many don't realize their fantastic deal is outdated merchandise, which they are often comparing to something current sold elsewhere.

I fell for that once many years back when they were still into selling computer components like DVD RW's.

If you're after the latest and greatest then you'd best be up to date on model numbers.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

normaM likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7806 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 19th, 2019, 9:04 pm

I seem to remember reading or watching about a country (France maybe?) where manufacturers have to disclaim an appliance/electronics expected life before it breaks down. Lot of stuff we buy today is simply not built to last because people keep wanting to buy the latest and greatest.

Cars, TVs, phones, computers, all are things people seem to be happy to buy new after a few years of even a couple of years.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

MAPearce likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4908 posts

Postby t76turbo » Aug 19th, 2019, 11:46 pm

Funny thing about the new TVs purchased through major box stores are all boxed different and have slightly altered model numbers so you cant price compare. Costco, Walmart, Superstore , all same cheap dudu especially during Boxing Day blowouts.

As for fridges and washing machines, my mom still has same for 28 years, never skipped a beat. My quality (ya right) fridge, dishwasher, wine fridge all broke down within 3 years of ownership.
Quality isn’t of priority anymore for manufacturing, just gotta last past warranty period.

Don’t even get me started on cars , especially diesel trucks.
I have a lot of opinions, just ask the wife. Some good, some bad, and others down right ugly!
But then, they are just MY opinions.

2 people like this post.
t76turbo
Fledgling

Liked in: 426 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 20th, 2019, 12:06 am

t76turbo wrote:Funny thing about the new TVs purchased through major box stores are all boxed different and have slightly altered model numbers so you cant price compare.

Yup, computer specs (outside Apple) are store specific and almost impossible to price match.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

normaM likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4908 posts

Postby AlienSoldier » Aug 20th, 2019, 5:32 am

Always check online consumer reports on products. Some brand names are better than others.

Regarding cars: I stick to Lexus, Toyota, Honda and Acura. These brands have served me well and most vehicles they make and sell in canada are made in Canada. Those plants are some of the best rated for reliability, low turnover and such.
AlienSoldier
Board Meister

Liked in: 338 posts

Postby normaM » Aug 20th, 2019, 6:36 am

Thanks, I didn't know about the different boxes and slightly different model numbers.
The more fancy stuff gets the faster it craps out.
I buy a lot of stuff on line, surprising how much I have to return because it is so crummy. I read that over 40% of people don't return on line purchases even if they aren't happy. Many places no longer include a return label either.. you have to print or get a PR number, so they discourage returns.
My friend still uses her old flip phone ( texting a challenge) but it still works better than mine.
We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6431 posts

Postby Lady tehMa » Aug 20th, 2019, 7:16 am

We like to buy things at Costco because of their return policy.

As far as things not being as well-made, there's a video about it from 2009 called "The Story of Stuff" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GorqroigqM - a little over 20 minutes but worth the time. That was the first time I was introduced to the concept of "planned obsolescence".
PLEASE use spellcheck. If that is too hard, consider installing the Grammarly (free!) app that will not only spellcheck for you (AND offer corrections!) but also make sure that your sentences are grammatically correct.

You're welcome.

Bsuds likes this post.
Lady tehMa
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 4656 posts

Postby Bsuds » Aug 20th, 2019, 7:32 am

normaM wrote:Thanks, I didn't know about the different boxes and slightly different model numbers.

I'm pretty sure they do this partly so that they can avoid price matching with some of the big box stores as the guaranty states "Exactly the same model"

One number different and they won't match the sales.
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!

2 people like this post.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Liked in: 13230 posts

Postby MAPearce » Aug 20th, 2019, 7:34 am

We live in a consumption driven disposable society based on the latest trendy trinkets and manufacturers supply the demand.

I think manufacturers put as little as they can into a product in the hopes it becomes either obsolete via "evolution" of that productions technology or the newest trend to maximize profits and hope the consumer tosses the product in favour of a brand spanking new one ..

Cell phones are a perfect example
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

4 people like this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4890 posts

Postby stuphoto » Aug 20th, 2019, 8:52 am

My ex girlfriend ( we are still friends) was surprised when the battery on the old phone I gave her lasted 4 hours, saying it has an amazing battery. Asked me how come it was still so good. ( I thought 4 hours is pathetic )

I responded that I turned off the automatic updates, and just refused to update it.
She accepted the updates one day, and it was suddenly had to keep it plugged in.

She agreed when I said its pretty much an overpriced land line now, and yet still won't consider switching brands.

I bought a Canadian brand phone, which was once considered as a workhorse.
The quality of their new phones just isn't the same. After 18 months the screen needs replacement without having been dropped , and the battery is only good for around 18 hours.
I won't be buying another, unless the company returns to their roots.

I am thinking of switching back to a flip phone.
Even if it doesn't last longer, at least it's cheaper and my days will be more productive since I won't be on Castanet as often.

3 people like this post.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 571 posts

Postby jimmy4321 » Aug 20th, 2019, 9:26 am

If they had a flip phone with a killer camera that maybe do some basic texting and ability to send pics to cloud or home computer i'd pick it up.
jimmy4321
Guru

Liked in: 2496 posts

Postby MAPearce » Aug 20th, 2019, 9:29 am

OKkayak wrote:I seem to remember reading or watching about a country (France maybe?) where manufacturers have to disclaim an appliance/electronics expected life before it breaks down. Lot of stuff we buy today is simply not built to last because people keep wanting to buy the latest and greatest.

Cars, TVs, phones, computers, all are things people seem to be happy to buy new after a few years of even a couple of years.

i should have read this BEFORE I posted .....

IMHO , we're bang on .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4890 posts

Postby stuphoto » Aug 20th, 2019, 10:51 am

jimmy4321 wrote:If they had a flip phone with a killer camera that maybe do some basic texting and ability to send pics to cloud or home computer i'd pick it up.

Personally I still like my old camera for taking pictures, and could live without a cell phone camera.
In my opinion the phones with the slideout keyboard were the best if you text. Good luck finding one though.

2 people like this post.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 571 posts

Postby 1791 » Aug 22nd, 2019, 11:49 am

Need to follow America First with Canada First. Lets start having some manufacturing. Some industry. Its a big country. We could build better stuff here. Save shipping it around the world. Put our own people to work. Do it in a safer cleaner way than its being done now.

Buy North American.

If you have a foreign vehicle. Think about getting an domestic. Anything made from steel or aluminum is likely Canadian mined American or Canadian built.
Chinese steel ? I suspect a lot of it is melted down scrap. I remember the scrap guys coming around in the 80s and 90s. Buying up old combines and such. That steel all went to China. I suspect we are buying it back .

If people would take pride in this stuff we would be all much better off

stuphoto likes this post.
Board Meister

Liked in: 304 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Aug 22nd, 2019, 2:29 pm

To buy North American/Canadian products would cost 4 times the amount. Take the raw product factor out of the equasion and it is easy to see that N. Americans make 4 times what a Chinese worker makes.
Add in the Cost of Living in each of the 2 example countries, which are also 4 times the costs to the employees, it becomes clear that the N. Americans are not willing to live in the same terms and conditions that the Asians are.
WE have created this problem and now we have to live with the consequences.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4842 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns