Poor quality and the year of returns.

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Poor quality and the year of returns.

Postby stuphoto » Aug 22nd, 2019, 3:23 pm

When I bought a Canadian made cell phone it lasted 4 years, and if I hadn't lost it it would probably still be working.

Since they are no longer made in Canada I am stuck buying Chinese made junk.
So 2 more expensive phones in 3 years.

How is that more affordable, or better on the environment?

1791 likes this post.
stuphoto
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 571 posts

Postby 1791 » Aug 22nd, 2019, 3:26 pm

alanjh595 wrote:To buy North American/Canadian products would cost 4 times the amount. Take the raw product factor out of the equasion and it is easy to see that N. Americans make 4 times what a Chinese worker makes.
Add in the Cost of Living in each of the 2 example countries, which are also 4 times the costs to the employees, it becomes clear that the N. Americans are not willing to live in the same terms and conditions that the Asians are.
WE have created this problem and now we have to live with the consequences.

Most Chinese products go straight from the package to the landfill within a few months. You end up buying 5 of the same product. Hoping one will work properly and last. How is that better than paying for a properly made product the first time .

2 people like this post.
Board Meister

Liked in: 304 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Aug 22nd, 2019, 4:22 pm

I am still working with a Sony Ericsson phone from 2006. Drop it, step on it, throw it... it doesn't blink.
I have never replaced the battery.
4 megapix camera and video.
Charge it once per week or sometimes less. I have had the battery drained to 1%, gone to bed to find it at 40% in the morning. I don't know how that works, but no one believes me until they see it.
Memory is maxed on it.
If I get a phone call in the mall, Safeway, Best Buy, W/M, etc...it will cause the store speakers that's playing the elevator music to fuzz out a few seconds before my phone even rings.
I have a S7 I could use but I like using the Sony- easier to carry, it's the size of a bank card.
I assume it was made in China. I am bewildered as to why it's still working.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.

stuphoto likes this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1481 posts

Postby pieinthei » Aug 22nd, 2019, 4:31 pm

^^ love it!!
"pick-up in aisle fzzzzz" .. uh hello?

oldtrucker likes this post.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 875 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Aug 22nd, 2019, 6:20 pm

1791 wrote:
alanjh595 wrote:To buy North American/Canadian products would cost 4 times the amount. Take the raw product factor out of the equasion and it is easy to see that N. Americans make 4 times what a Chinese worker makes.
Add in the Cost of Living in each of the 2 example countries, which are also 4 times the costs to the employees, it becomes clear that the N. Americans are not willing to live in the same terms and conditions that the Asians are.
WE have created this problem and now we have to live with the consequences.

Most Chinese products go straight from the package to the landfill within a few months. You end up buying 5 of the same product. Hoping one will work properly and last. How is that better than paying for a properly made product the first time .

Define "properly made product" because from my observations whether you buy from an expensive store, or a discount store, most of the stuff is still made in China, Taiwan, Thailand, or Korea.

I don't recall the last time I looked up the origin of an item on the label, and saw made in Canada, or made in U.S.A.

Even high end computer stuff comes from somewhere in Asia.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7806 posts

Postby Whyme2 » Aug 22nd, 2019, 8:15 pm

1791 wrote:Need to follow America First with Canada First. Lets start having some manufacturing. Some industry. Its a big country. We could build better stuff here. Save shipping it around the world. Put our own people to work. Do it in a safer cleaner way than its being done now.

Buy North American.

If you have a foreign vehicle. Think about getting an domestic. Anything made from steel or aluminum is likely Canadian mined American or Canadian built.
Chinese steel ? I suspect a lot of it is melted down scrap. I remember the scrap guys coming around in the 80s and 90s. Buying up old combines and such. That steel all went to China. I suspect we are buying it back .

If people would take pride in this stuff we would be all much better off

My new Honda Civic is manufactured in Ontario Canada. Why would I buy domestic when most of them are made now in Mexico?

OKkayak likes this post.
Whyme2
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 487 posts

Postby 1791 » Aug 22nd, 2019, 9:09 pm

Whyme2 wrote:
1791 wrote:Need to follow America First with Canada First. Lets start having some manufacturing. Some industry. Its a big country. We could build better stuff here. Save shipping it around the world. Put our own people to work. Do it in a safer cleaner way than its being done now.

Buy North American.

If you have a foreign vehicle. Think about getting an domestic. Anything made from steel or aluminum is likely Canadian mined American or Canadian built.
Chinese steel ? I suspect a lot of it is melted down scrap. I remember the scrap guys coming around in the 80s and 90s. Buying up old combines and such. That steel all went to China. I suspect we are buying it back .

If people would take pride in this stuff we would be all much better off

My new Honda Civic is manufactured in Ontario Canada. Why would I buy domestic when most of them are made now in Mexico?

Honda were great thru the 80s. Up till mid or late 90s. Today. Not so sure. Honestly. If u must drive a foreign piece of scrap. Let it be a Canadian built Honda
Board Meister

Liked in: 304 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 22nd, 2019, 9:14 pm

1791 wrote:Honda were great thru the 80s. Up till mid or late 90s. Today. Not so sure.

They're still one of the best cars out there, as long as you don't get a CVT transmission.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

1791 likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4910 posts

Postby normaM » Aug 23rd, 2019, 7:02 am

gave my old nokia to a lil kid to play with, prolly still half charged.
If Costco has such a great return policy makes me think they know stuff they are selling isn't all that good.
I don't buy extended warranties any more, expensive and a hassle when they send it away to the factory and you have to wait months for it.
We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6431 posts

Postby Whyme2 » Aug 23rd, 2019, 8:43 am

OKkayak wrote:
1791 wrote:Honda were great thru the 80s. Up till mid or late 90s. Today. Not so sure.

They're still one of the best cars out there, as long as you don't get a CVT transmission.

Most of the new model Honda's only have the CVT transmissions and are consider some of the best in the industry!
Whyme2
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 487 posts

Postby OKkayak » Aug 23rd, 2019, 10:36 am

Whyme2 wrote:Most of the new model Honda's only have the CVT transmissions and are consider some of the best in the industry!

While Honda and Toyota CVTs are better than others, they’re still CVTs. If you want your car to be problem free for many years, a Honda or Toyota with a manual gearbox is the only way to go.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4910 posts

Previous

Return to Social Concerns