Kelowna is Dying

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Re: Kelowna is Dying

Post by the truth »

W105 wrote:totally agree lde..one would think that we could get that $15K down to a reasonable amount....would love to see the breakdown for that amount of money..

easy, over paid pencil pushers ,over paying themselves-that is how it always works
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

The problem is bleeding hearts and weak criminal punishments. Hundreds of millions are being spent on the issue. Wet/dry facilities and homeless are being built yet childern are being taught in atco trailers as classrooms. It should be the other way around. Where are the statistics that these facilities work?
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

mexi cali wrote:I watched the video and it is well worth the time spent. It is a bit of a stretch to try and compare the scenes in and around Seattle (I was shocked) to Kelowna but we are trying hard to be looked on as a contender for sure.

Everyone on this thread as well as any others that have been started on this topic should watch the documentary. It will give you valuable insights.

Those who have spoken inside this production correctly identify drugs as the problem, not homelessness.

Toward the end, there is a piece about a facility in Maryland (I think it was Maryland) who has the exact right idea. You want a solution? fight for this.

I agree that drugs are often the cause of both homelessness and crime (although there ARE a few cases where the homeless part came first).

Case in point, one of my friend's daughters wound up doing drugs on the street, so they bought a condo and let her live in it. Long story short, the condo just became a hangout for her and her druggie friends to do even more drugs.

Bottom line, just providing more affordable housing without first providing some sort of rehabilitation, is NOT going to work.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Gixxer wrote:Where are the statistics that these facilities work?

Based on what I've observed with my friend's adult children who are druggies, part of the problem with the facilities is that after getting them off the drugs, they just turn them out into the street with inadequate follow up. Consequently, having nowhere else to go and no suitable support, they end up back with their druggie friends, and the cycle starts all over again.

It's like a revolving door, and it's nuts.

If we're going to spend the money trying to get them off drugs, we have to follow through after and help them find a place to live, and a job. With a lot of ongoing support to help make sure they don't "fall off the wagon".

Because without that kind of follow up, the money spent on the initial rehab is totally wasted.
"In a world swathed in political correctness, the voting booth remains the final sanctuary where the people are free to speak" - Clifford Orwin
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Sounds like a lot of us want to see progress on getting addicts off drugs and there are no places available to do that - or very few and expensive. We see the LARGE picture - that drug addiction is the problem and SHOULD be the focus.

We are fighting a losing battle however because the ones who are leading the charge so to speak are NOT focused on ending drug addiction. Their ONLY focus is getting roofs over heads. That's it. They won't even broach the subject of cessation with the "residents" or encourage treatment in any way. The resident has to be the one to bring it up and even then there's no where for them to go IMMEDIATELY before they change their mind.

I have zero faith in any of these people who are advocating wet housing as being "on the right path". Seems they are missing the path altogether.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

Merry wrote:
Gixxer wrote:Where are the statistics that these facilities work?

Based on what I've observed with my friend's adult children who are druggies, part of the problem with the facilities is that after getting them off the drugs, they just turn them out into the street with inadequate follow up. Consequently, having nowhere else to go and no suitable support, they end up back with their druggie friends, and the cycle starts all over again.

It's like a revolving door, and it's nuts.

If we're going to spend the money trying to get them off drugs, we have to follow through after and help them find a place to live, and a job. With a lot of ongoing support to help make sure they don't "fall off the wagon".

Because without that kind of follow up, the money spent on the initial rehab is totally wasted.

Seems to be more of a detox situation that is offered rather than rehab with counselling and reintegration. I think they have to leave town to get the space they need as well. They can't just leave the short treatment and see their old drug buddies or any progress made is likely going down the drain. They have to be in for at least 6 months, preferably longer so they have the tools needed to stay strong against the temptation their old "friends" will entice them with. Misery loves company as they say and no druggie likes to see another druggie make good staying off drugs while they are still in the throes so many a good intention has gone by the wayside just by falling back in to old friendships for which the only commonality and base foundation was the drug use.
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

I watched the video along time ago...first thing I thought was "Travis" knew exactly how to play the game...all those cops standing around watching him run around naked etc doing nothing just blew my mind !! and I wish more people would watch at the least the end of the video where recovered addicts admit that if they weren't forced into treatment they would be dead or right back in jail...nothing else really works..

when I watched Ken Molgat's video "A View from Skid Road" (aka Leon Ave) where he asked the people who were partying on Leon (because that is what addicts do all day, get high and party) would they like some shelter...they all wanted it BUT it if comes with too many " rules" than no (??????????)

we are literally watching these addicts suffer and apparently the powers that be seem to think that babysitting them just might "coax" them into getting sober...and that will NEVER happen !! the reality is that most of them have swiss cheese for brains being high 24/7 and they cannot make a logical decision about anything...so if we truly want to help them, then we have to make the decision to really save their lives by forcing treatment..because doing so will save some of them and the video proved that..

if we don't start changing that being an addict is acceptable (which it certainly seems like it is today with all the help they get to stay doing what they want to do) we are going to start creating more of them.....(and it certainly seems like the numbers are increasing right now)

life is tough for ALL of us but turning to drugs cannot be the cop out answer just because it is sometimes...
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

voice of reason wrote:not when they end up in jail anyways.its not like giving these clowns a home fixes the drug addiction and mental illness that put them on the street in the first place.

Does putting them in jail help?
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

well at least while in jail these junkies are not out stealing and assaulting etc etc -so ya it helps
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

dle wrote:We are fighting a losing battle however because the ones who are leading the charge so to speak are NOT focused on ending drug addiction.

The focus shouldn't be on ending drug addiction. Maybe you see it as pessimistic, but drug addiction is never going to end.

That's why so many of you are disappointed by the strategies you see being implemented. You're always going to be disappointed because you're being unrealistic.
Jonrox

Post by Jonrox »

the truth wrote:well at least while in jail these junkies are not out stealing and assaulting etc etc -so ya it helps

Statistically it won't do a thing because such a small number will actually be in jail at any one time. And sadly there are always new people becoming addicted due to a variety of reasons (mental health is a big one). Simply throwing people in jail will do nothing to treat the underlying problems.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

Jonrox wrote:That's why so many of you are disappointed by the strategies you see being implemented. You're always going to be disappointed because you're being unrealistic.

well.. let me put on my "pessimistic glasses"

oh.. i see my house getting broken into 3 times a week instead of once every 2 months.. i see myself replacing car windows every 2nd day versus once a month.. i see my insurance rates skyrocketing.. i see tents (that don't belong to me) in my back yard full of squatters.. life is great on the pessimistic side.. thanks for that.
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

the truth wrote:well at least while in jail these junkies are not out stealing and assaulting etc etc -so ya it helps

I agree with this - if anyone (including a junkie) is out stealing etc and gets caught, the ONLY way they're not going to be back at it 1/2 hour later is if they are cooling their heels and thinking about the error of their ways behind bars. I am not so naive to believe that their "thinking about the error of their ways" isn't going to just be about how they got caught and what not to do next time so they don't get caught, but you are right....while their butt is in pokey it's not out stealing from us!

Speaking of which I see Orin Lucas has been set loose again....this time he's wearing a monitor so he stays home between 8 pm and 7am. Awesome. :dash: I hope it has a camera for when he decides to steal or hurt someone else during they daytime hours they can just whip right out and snag him again. I wonder if Mr. Lucas does drugs?? Or...maybe the better question is does the Judge?
W105
Guru

Post by W105 »

we need "Drug Courts" here..

Drug courts are judicially supervised court dockets that provide a sentencing alternative of treatment combined with supervision for people living with serious substance use and mental health disorders. Drug courts are problem-solving courts that take a public health approach using a specialized model in which the judiciary, prosecution, defense bar, probation, law enforcement, mental health, social service, and treatment communities work together to help addicted offenders into long-term recovery.
Merry
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Merry »

Jonrox wrote:The focus shouldn't be on ending drug addiction.

If you don't find a way to end addiction, you'll never be able to solve all the problems addiction causes.

Return to “Social Concerns”