Kelowna is Dying

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
jlk99

Re: Kelowna is Dying

Post by jlk99 »

There is no doubt this is a powerful video. It has caught the attention of many. For those that don't know, this is the 3rd of a 3 part series, and the other two perhaps humanize the issue of homelessness and heroin addiction a little differently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXqWrDDi5u8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tli2hjw8nzU

There are those that believe that if we don't do something, then Kelowna is in fact dying. There are those that critique this idea.

In terms of Seattle is Dying, for those that want to take a deeper look behind the scenes, things are not always as they appear.
https://crosscut.com/2019/03/man-used-p ... -his-story
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

Scrobins94 wrote:The real truth here is that something is being done about homelessness and that is research-based journey home strategy.

Supportive housing is much cheaper and inexpensive compared to incarceration in the long run.

Journey home strategy is nothing more than a glorified ponzi scheme, where people are making money off the idea, and all the bleeding hearts are buying it up. Yeah, research also showed oxycontin was a safe drug, and non addictive.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
Gixxer
Lord of the Board

Post by Gixxer »

There's already some great wet/dry facilities for these addicted criminal junkies that's the perfect place for them to get the help they need. Its called jail/prison. Time to start using them till these people get their life back on track
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

Addiction will never end. We are human and we are frail and we turn to that which takes us away from these earthly confines.

Addiction has been around as long as we have.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by pieinthei »

mexi cali wrote:Addiction will never end. We are human and we are frail and we turn to that which takes us away from these earthly confines.

agreed.. "pass the ammunition"
vinnied
Lord of the Board

Post by vinnied »

mexi cali wrote:Addiction will never end. We are human and we are frail and we turn to that which takes us away from these earthly confines.

Yep, I was thinking about that too. Heroin addiction, for example. Which seems to be the drug of choice, has been around as long as heroin has been around. And we've never seen the sad state of affairs quite like we see in today's world. So whats changed? Only 1 thing I can think of.

See, used to be you didn't enable an addiction. That was common practice. They had to learn the hard way. Rock bottom usually pulled them out. Unfortunately sometimes that meant death for some. Somewhere along the line in last few years we changed all that, cause we wanted to save lives. Sad fact of the matter is we are doing more harm than good. And the problem is now spiraling out of control.
STOP ENABLING. Number 1 rule when it comes to addiction.
[(4-Hydroxybutyl)azanediyl]di(hexane-6,1-diyl) bis(2-hexyldecanoate), ALC-0315 equivalent, is a ionizable, physiological pH cationic synthetic lipid that is used with other lipids to form lipid nanoparticles(LNP) for drug delivery, For research use only.
tremendous

Post by tremendous »

Kelowna isn't dying, it's great. removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Aug 22nd, 2019, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Bait removed
Frisk
Guru

Post by Frisk »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Aug 22nd, 2019, 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Response to removed
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

Kettle Valley is hardly the promised land... oodles of illegal suites and ppl clinging like grim Death each penny to make their mortgage payment.
Christ I hate when ppl dump on Rutland. AH
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Jsane922
Fledgling

Post by Jsane922 »

Or be strong and say no to drugs.. wow, what a concept.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

normaM wrote:Kettle Valley is hardly the promised land... oodles of illegal suites and ppl clinging like grim Death each penny to make their mortgage payment.

safe bet there has been more od's in the mission and kettle valley then rutland, they just do not put it in the news ,but i do believe there was a small story about just that on the news a few years ago
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
mexi cali
Guru

Post by mexi cali »

removed
Last edited by Catsumi on Aug 23rd, 2019, 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Baiting
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition
kingsandman
Übergod

Post by kingsandman »

Scrobins94 wrote:The real truth here is that something is being done about homelessness and that is research-based journey home strategy.

Supportive housing is much cheaper and inexpensive compared to incarceration in the long run.

Do you find it ironic that all the “research” comes from people employed in the Supportive Housing industry?
Do they really want a cure?
I don’t think so.
It’s no different than big Pharmaceutical companies coming forth with a cure.
No money in it......
Model citizen......zero discipline.
the truth
Admiral HMS Castanet

Post by the truth »

exactly ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." -George Orwell
dle
Lord of the Board

Post by dle »

the truth wrote:
normaM wrote:Kettle Valley is hardly the promised land... oodles of illegal suites and ppl clinging like grim Death each penny to make their mortgage payment.

safe bet there has been more od's in the mission and kettle valley then rutland, they just do not put it in the news ,but i do believe there was a small story about just that on the news a few years ago

Lots of addicts have lots of money.....when they OD it's usually in their big house behind closed doors and their dealer drives a nice car and dresses like a banker or something and has delivery to the door service and we don't hear about that in most cases. Family reasons, trying to keep it quiet, friends didn't know, save face, etc etc. Once in a while a family wants to make it known to try and save others from the same fate and show that it's not just the down-and-outers on Leon who are in this mess - it can happen to anyone. I'm not in the drug scene but I would hope that if it were ever to happen to me I sure as hell want someone to clock me one and haul my butt to rehab so I hope there is one around I can afford. I'll pass on the wet housing thanks. If I'm already up to my ears in the mess stuffing me in deeper isn't going to do me any favours.

Drugs have always been around - but there were consequences, enforcement, the risk of dying was on the druggies own shoulders. People were forced to make the change to survive and live in the world or check out. Now we are on a runaway train because we lack all of the aforementioned - other than the drugs! It's a bad scene and telling people it's "ok" to do drugs is just not right. They have to remain cognizant of the fact that it's NOT OK. It's a very horrid situation to be in and quitting won't be easy but it's the only way out still breathing.

Return to “Social Concerns”