Kelowna is Dying

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Kelowna is Dying

Postby normaM » Aug 23rd, 2019, 5:51 pm

A lone protester? sad but good for her for having the nerve, bless her Lentil filled tummy :) As a Mommy u must keep her safe
We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6491 posts

Postby TerriJ73 » Aug 24th, 2019, 12:48 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Aug 24th, 2019, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
TerriJ73
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 700 posts

Postby Queen K » Aug 29th, 2019, 9:46 pm

https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton ... d-warriors

Step up and DO something! The police in Penticton are now saying that people who make viscious comments need to act now in a positive way.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15607 posts

Postby LANDM » Aug 29th, 2019, 10:00 pm

Queen K wrote:https://www.castanet.net/news/Penticton/264696/Step-up-keyboard-warriors

Step up and DO something! The police in Penticton are now saying that people who make viscious comments need to act now in a positive way.

That was a very interesting and appropriate comment from the police as they do see all sides. It’s almost like they have read comments from a couple of the posters on these threads. :smt045
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4438 posts

Postby LANDM » Aug 29th, 2019, 10:10 pm

normaM wrote:A lone protester? sad but good for her for having the nerve, bless her Lentil filled tummy :) As a Mommy u must keep her safe

Now it can be a Beyond Meat filled tummy. Yum! I still can’t believe you don’t like Beyond Burgers! I don’t mean ones from a fast food place, but if you make them at home, they don’t taste like old beets and tears of sadness, or whatever it was that you likened it to. I think someone gave you an old Yves burger with freezer burn and you thought it was a Beyond Burger.
I think it tastes like pea protein bound together with tears of joy. And that’s pea protein, not pee protein, to be clear.

DarbyD likes this post.
LANDM
Guru

Liked in: 4438 posts

Postby SaxonAD » Sep 8th, 2019, 3:54 pm

Kelowna isn't the city I grew up in. I left for a much smaller okanagan town in June , and I'm sure glad I did. City park full of degenerate junkies, increase of theft and other crimes, and not to mention the traffic! I love the geography of the area, but cant stand kelownafornia any longer.
SaxonAD

Liked in: 14 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Sep 9th, 2019, 12:27 pm

SaxonAD wrote:Kelowna isn't the city I grew up in. I left for a much smaller okanagan town in June , and I'm sure glad I did. City park full of degenerate junkies, increase of theft and other crimes, and not to mention the traffic! I love the geography of the area, but cant stand kelownafornia any longer.

What an odd statement to make.

NO town remains as it was when a person grew up there.

Do you seriously think wherever you moved to will be the same in forty years?
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7811 posts

Postby pieinthei » Sep 9th, 2019, 1:23 pm

haha.. i grew up in Van.. my dad's first house was 11k.. boy i hate how things change..
i used to hang at Main and Hastings.. cant do that anymore.. boy i hate how things change..
things change, get over it.
pieinthei
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 875 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Sep 9th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Urban Cowboy wrote:NO town remains as it was when a person grew up there.Do you seriously think wherever you moved to will be the same in forty years?

Not that it counts in BC, but if we went two provinces over,I can show you towns that look the same as they did in 1958.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.

1791 likes this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1493 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Sep 9th, 2019, 2:37 pm

^^ Only because they were virtually abandoned as people fled to find lucrative work elsewhere.

I'm not sure that counts.

In BC Kitsault comes to mind, and it's been exactly the same for over four decades. :biggrin:

Again not a fair comparison though.
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan

kgcayenne likes this post.
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7811 posts

Postby Grandan » Sep 10th, 2019, 8:53 am

normaM wrote:well we pay for those repairs..they broke all the sprinkler heads at Guisachan House ( and the rounds there so lovely) and broke a fancy light standard. Woman who is in charge of the grounds kicked them all out when she got to work. I mean why wreck sprinkler heads, guess once they high they don't care.

I love the gardens there, and the crepes Georg prepares.

When the sprinklers wake you up and drench you in the middle of the night what are you going to do? Kick the bloody thing off so they only dribble and not broadcast, easy peasy.
Waste not
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1008 posts

Postby Bestchum » Sep 11th, 2019, 10:16 am

The current system is much to soft on homelessness and drug addiction. Kelowna has a huge issue with homelessness to the point it is scary. I have been DT at 3 and witnessed many things that made my children and I fearful for our safety.

Drug addiction ravages one body and brain where family, health, comfort, love, is absent in ones way of thinking. Theft for money for the next fix is all one is fixated on. The safety of others is ignored or cannot be comprehended by the addict/homeless person. Having your elderly parent/child walking around where these people congregate is very worrisome. Rutland residents and residents of Kelowna have every right to be upset. Giving someone a place to do drugs and continue the lifestyle isn't helping anyone to get "better". My own cousin lived on the streets for awhile and got addicted to heroin...he was given a diagnosis of a permanent mental disability from the drug abuse and moved back and forth home with his mother. He was supported and loved by his family his entire life but it didn't matter. He was given a nice home to live and it didn't matter. He was given methadone to help him overcome his addiction to heroin but it didn't help him to come clean.
He continued to use methadone and would OD at times. He was given money by the Canadian government which he would use to buy his drugs. He could never get into a treatment center, the wait lists were to long. His brain was permanently damaged by drug abuse. He passed away at age 35 (slim guy) of a enlarged heart (heart attack). His mother found him dead... This guy came from a good family where there was no abuse. My uncle worked and aunt stayed at home. The kids all had cars, video gaming systems etc. When the cycle started of him partying they sent him to live with a relative to get away from the bad influence friends. They tried the religious style counseling services. Both did not help. Treatment centers were not available...perhaps if they would have been this story and many many others would be very different today. There needs to be a big shift from protecting the rights of the addicts to assisting them to overcome their addictions and protecting the rights of the business owners and law abiding tax paying citizens.
A realist

DarbyD likes this post.
Bestchum

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby ecoforce » Sep 12th, 2019, 5:46 pm

I saw this youtube recently by accident(youtube recommended it for some reason)

and I thought to post it here.

It is not quite the problem solver as situations are totally different, but it definitely shows the solution in some way.
ecoforce

Liked in: 11 posts

Postby nepal » Oct 6th, 2019, 2:03 am

Joni Mitchell sang a song that describes the Okanagan, and B.C. well:
:130:
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot spot
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got