Government workers sick time

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Government workers sick time

Postby flamingfingers » Aug 31st, 2019, 4:49 pm

People with your mindset are the reason we live in a nanny state, which may soon see sick days require a doctor's note, just as if you were still in grade school.

People having to get a 'note' from the doctor to verify that they are/were sick was the case at one time. The doctors were in a froth about it - taking time away from people who needed their attention urgently yet having to take time to fill out a damn note. Going in to see the doctor required the employee to take time off work so that really wasn't working out to well either, was it?

Employees 'earn' sick time - just like they 'earn' their wages.
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.

kevingerry78 likes this post.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6896 posts

Postby Piecemaker » Aug 31st, 2019, 9:17 pm

It makes sense that someone who is self-employed or someone who receives no pay when away from work will have less sick days. They are more likely to go to work when they are sick. When I worked for Provincial Government there were no earned sick days. It may be Federal Government workers who earn sick days.
Provincial workers are able to take sick days for their own illness or for caring for a sick dependent (usually a young child). They receive 75% of a day's wages. While there was no set amount of sick days "allowed", sick days were seldom abused. Supervisors and managers would intervene.if absenteeism became an issue.
They encouraged sick people to stay home and not infect the work site! Often you recover faster if you rest and take care of yourself as soon as you begin to feel ill.
Some areas of government now have even less sick time because many employees can work remotely from home. Laptops and cell phones have replaced cabled computers and landlines.
It's possible to do all the right things and still get a bad result.
Piecemaker
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 1895 posts

Postby Urban Cowboy » Sep 1st, 2019, 12:11 am

flamingfingers wrote:
People with your mindset are the reason we live in a nanny state, which may soon see sick days require a doctor's note, just as if you were still in grade school.

People having to get a 'note' from the doctor to verify that they are/were sick was the case at one time. The doctors were in a froth about it - taking time away from people who needed their attention urgently yet having to take time to fill out a damn note. Going in to see the doctor required the employee to take time off work so that really wasn't working out to well either, was it?

So say you.

I happen to know that it is still done, at least on a BC provincial government level, given a close acquaintance had to do just that only a couple of months back.

There goes that bubble!
“A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do.” -Bob Dylan
Urban Cowboy
Guru

Liked in: 7806 posts

Postby MAPearce » Sep 1st, 2019, 2:12 am

JLives wrote:
Urban Cowboy wrote:I think the concern is more one of faking being sick, simply to have a day off with pay, or conveniently falling ill on the Friday of a Monday holiday long weekend.

I'm also not buying FF's contention that the employees pay for these sick days. They may be contributing a pittance but I highly doubt they are paying in the same amount as they get out.

So what? Heaven forbid someone take a bit of time to have a life. I don't understand this race to the bottom mentality. Life is for living, work is just one part of it.

If you really believe that and knew how much OT the wife could get because of someone using sick time to have a life , you'd be unable to complain about anything healthcare related . From the cost to wait times at any hospital in this province , staff using sick time just because has to be a large part of both .
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..

2 people like this post.
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4890 posts

Postby LTD » Sep 1st, 2019, 8:41 am

flamingfingers wrote:

I had to get a note from my doctor once so I made an appointment and used another sick day to get their note they never asked again [icon_lol2.gif]

TerriJ73 likes this post.
LTD
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 3817 posts

Postby OKkayak » Sep 1st, 2019, 8:02 pm

flamingfingers wrote:They paid for it themselves.

They paid for them, or we paid for them? Nice spin there buddy. :up:
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

Urban Cowboy likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4908 posts

Postby Symbonite » Sep 2nd, 2019, 4:33 pm

Well...this is a topic especially today.

The nurses union has it that today Labour Day is a "super stat" which is 2.5 pay...

But interesting that there is a lot of what they call..."callouts" around Friday Saturday and Sunday....but none on Monday...the running joke is....they would even show up at work in a wheelchair that day.
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.

2 people like this post.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 986 posts

Postby MAPearce » Sep 2nd, 2019, 6:42 pm

Symbonite wrote:Well...this is a topic especially today.

The nurses union has it that today Labour Day is a "super stat" which is 2.5 pay...

But interesting that there is a lot of what they call..."callouts" around Friday Saturday and Sunday....but none on Monday...the running joke is....they would even show up at work in a wheelchair that day.

Yeup ..... Wife's phone was rather quiet today .

Usually is when a "super stat" comes around...
I payed attention in High school....But not to what they were trying to teach me..
MAPearce
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4890 posts

Postby flamingfingers » Sep 2nd, 2019, 6:51 pm

Symbonite wrote:Well...this is a topic especially today.

And I am guessing that you would too..... :D
Overpopulation threatens all life on earth.
flamingfingers
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6896 posts

Postby Symbonite » Sep 2nd, 2019, 9:52 pm

Heck no...take the day off cause I know someone will jump on it...just take the day pay
**Disclaimer: The above statement is in my OPINION only.
Symbonite
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 986 posts

Postby Sparki55 » Sep 3rd, 2019, 7:49 am

Queen K wrote:How about when the children are sick? Do the mothers and fathers just leave them? Often it's a "sick day" alright.
Was that planned? Could anyone plan for that?

Policy at my work does not allow for use of a sick day for family members (children). If caught you would be written up. Do that too many times and bye bye job. They offer a few family days (think it's 2 per year). Beyond that you have to figure it out and have a plan in place for when your kids is sick. Expected to be at work to be paid/retain a position at the company. The private sector isn't the same charity I hear about from my friends who work government jobs.
Sparki55
Generalissimo Postalot

Liked in: 893 posts

Postby Gilchy » Sep 3rd, 2019, 7:51 am

Sparki55 wrote:
Queen K wrote:How about when the children are sick? Do the mothers and fathers just leave them? Often it's a "sick day" alright.
Was that planned? Could anyone plan for that?

Policy at my work does not allow for use of a sick day for family members (children). If caught you would be written up. Do that too many times and bye bye job. They offer a few family days (think it's 2 per year). Beyond that you have to figure it out and have a plan in place for when your kids is sick. Expected to be at work to be paid/retain a position at the company. The private sector isn't the same charity I hear about from my friends who work government jobs.

Some employers are like this. Others are beginning to recognize that a happy employee is a productive employee, and realizes that the odd day here and there isn't going to impact things except for keeping their workforce happy and engaged, and therefore more efficiently productive.

flamingfingers likes this post.
Gilchy
Übergod

Liked in: 1056 posts

Postby Ka-El » Sep 4th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Gilchy wrote: Some employers are like this. Others are beginning to recognize that a happy employee is a productive employee, and realizes that the odd day here and there isn't going to impact things except for keeping their workforce happy and engaged, and therefore more efficiently productive.

It's always nice when you don't have sick colleagues coming in and getting everyone sick.
Damn autocorrect; I'm sick and tired of your shirt.

Piecemaker likes this post.
Ka-El
Guru

Liked in: 6832 posts

Postby OKkayak » Sep 4th, 2019, 8:58 pm

Used to work in this one place, we had one guy named Roger and he'd call in literally every Monday because he was "sick" it got to the point where if anyone called in sick on a Monday, we just said they had a case of "Rogeritis" [icon_lol2.gif]
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4908 posts

Previous

Return to Social Concerns