Take a stand on guns you say??

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby Truth4Freedom » Sep 10th, 2019, 3:06 pm

I just read a Letter to the Editor and once again find myself baffled by the lack of due-diligence made by those with such a strong opinion.

https://www.castanet.net/news/Letters/2 ... nd-on-guns

Dear Mr. or Mrs. J. Moore
It is very intriguing to understand where the majority of your opinion lies as it seems to come straight out of the mouths of the media and lacking any in depth details to truth. I'd say that it is our best interest and our social responsibility to know truth, seek the truth and speak it.
It seems you would prefer to lay the blame of a firearms issue on a single politician and those before him and a group everyone labels as hateful, so I have some fun facts for you to clear the misunderstanding you carry as ill-guided fact.
- The president does not have all the power.
The right to bare arms in America is a fundamental right under the Second Amendment and any government who tries to impeded will face serious backlash from the public on a violation of their unalienable rights. Every individual has to right to protection, free from future government tyranny and the right to defend others.

- There is no such thing as automatic weapons in America or Canada. Only the military can own auto. Semi-auto means pull the trigger once, you get one bullet. This is a serious lack of knowledge on your part and painting everything with the same CNN brush. AR does not stand for 'Automatic Rifle' but actually stands for Armalite Rifles, company that made them. An AR-15 shoots .223 caliber bullets.. that's 22 caliber family.
- There is approx. 13,000 homicides in America per year.
- Did you know the CDC reports up to 3million cases per year of private and public individuals protecting themselves and others? The right to bare arms goes far beyond just a few nut cases that have gone postal.
- Banning firearms in Brittan caused much higher knife crimes and acid attacks. The homicide rate has no decreased whatsoever.
- Australia's buy back program caused more guns to end up on the street and hidden from the government. They only bought back about 1/8th...mostly bolt action rifles used for varmint hunting

Your idea that a mass shooting is the only tragedy should be tossed in the garbage. There is a much bigger issue at hand. Of the 14% black population, taking most women and children out becomes roughly 6% of Americans cause near 50% of all crimes.
Gang life, drugs, mental illness and poor influences in the communities across America have caused such disarray that there seems to be no going back. Even though this is the opinion, it's not true either. There is hope for all those in need of help and the start is only a few opinions away, starting with community leaders and leading up to those in power. Pay more attention to the cries of people within the hardest hit regions and you'll find that guns are not the problem, people are.

The best solution for everyone's sake is to educate them on personal responsibility, accountability and doing no harm to others. Follow up by teaching about firearms safety but most of all, bring back the nuclear family and values that love one another beyond anything else so that those with such hatred in their hearts can find refuge for healing and managing their problems.
Stop blaming demagogue idiot politicians, otherwise they might just ban white mini-vans, or your free speech!
Last edited by ferri on Sep 10th, 2019, 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Link to letter added

2 people like this post.
Truth4Freedom
 
Posts: 1
Likes: 0 post
Liked in: 2 posts
Joined: Sep 10th, 2019, 2:25 pm

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby spooker » Sep 10th, 2019, 4:18 pm

Wow ... just wow ... while J Moore did make reference to "automatic" assault rifles but the rest of his letter was pretty reasonable ... the response seems to go overboard and deflect from the points made

Laws are written to be interpreted, nothing on the books is black and white ... many parents spend years and years teaching this to their kids who want the world to be black and white since it would be so much easier to understand if so ... the meaning of the second amendment when written was something that doesn't apply in the same way ...

Considering that a Harvard study came out to say that only 0.9% of crimes were defended with a gun I'd saw that if 3MM were a correct figure that would mean that there are over 300MM crimes reported per year ... yet according to the FBI there were only 1.2MM acts of violent crime in 2017 ...

And yes, while semi-automatic is the only available option for responsible gun owners the conversion kits are available (but thankfully harder to get now) and being able to shoot one bullet per second is a heck of a lot of deer that need to be culled ... full auto for the herd of bunnies going after your lettuce? Need more iron in your diet of vegetables?

Considering that both Britain and Australia do not even come close to the number of mass shootings of the US I'd question the anecdotal evidence for stating that more guns ended up on the streets or hidden from the government ... over half-a-million guns being bought back is significant except in places like the US

https://www.npr.org/2018/04/13/602143823/how-often-do-people-use-guns-in-self-defense
https://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2017-crime-statistics-released-092418
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_buyback_program
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

OKkayak likes this post.
User avatar
spooker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1700
Likes: 1295 posts
Liked in: 995 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby Jonrox » Sep 10th, 2019, 9:06 pm

It’s quite interesting that the OP suggests it’s important to do due diligence but doesn’t understand the laws they’re discussing (and states the writer of the letter has a serious lack of knowledge on the topic). It’s especially ironic given the OP’s username.

It’s completely legal to own fully automatic machine guns in the US. They’re heavily regulated but they’re legal. It’s illegal to buy new machine guns but it’s perfectly legal to buy, sell, and own one of the 630,000 used machine guns estimated to be in the US.

It’s also key to watch your spelling OP... I’m pretty sure the second amendment doesn’t protect Americans’ rights to wear tank tops and other sleeveless shirts.

3 people like this post.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board
 
Posts: 4154
Likes: 444 posts
Liked in: 2520 posts
Joined: Apr 14th, 2010, 2:09 pm

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby WheelWeaves » Sep 11th, 2019, 7:56 am

The 2nd amendment covers organized militias. It is not an all encompassing, all protective barrier for every Joe schmoe to stockpile 30 different guns and thousands of rounds of ammo because he "collects" them. The NRA has run one of the largest propaganda campaigns for decades thanks to support by arms manufacturers...


And as said by a famous comedian recently, the only way gun laws will change is if every adult African American were to exercise their "rights" and purchase one.

2 people like this post.
User avatar
WheelWeaves
Fledgling
 
Posts: 144
Likes: 8 posts
Liked in: 180 posts
Joined: May 22nd, 2013, 5:07 pm

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby 1791 » Sep 11th, 2019, 9:05 am

Chicago.


Fifteen people were shot, two fatally, on Tuesday in Democrat-controlled Chicago.

The Chicago Sun-Times reported that the shootings started around 12:45 a.m. Tuesday and resulted in the death of a 27-year-old man.

The day’s second homicide occurred less than an hour later near “the 1600 block of South Loomis Street.” An 18-year-old was killed in that shooting.

One of the 13 non-fatal shooting victims was a 16-year-old boy on a bicycle in Garfield Park. He was shot around 9:40 p.m. Tuesday “when someone pulled up in a gray SUV and unleashed gunfire.”

Breitbart News reported at least 34 were shot, 6 fatally, the weekend of September 6-8, 2019. At least 41 were shot, 7 fatally, during Labor Day weekend in Chicago.

Breitbart News also reported at least 29 were shot, 6 fatally, the weekend of August 23-25 in Democrat-controlled Chicago. Another 28 were shot, 5 fatally, in Chicago the weekend of August 16-18, and 47 were shot, 4 fatally, during the weekend of August 9-11.

During the first weekend in August, 53 were shot, 7 killed, in Democrat-run Chicago.

AWR Hawkins is an award-winning Second Amendment columnist for Breitbart 

https://chicago.suntimes.com/crime/2019 ... n-violence
Last edited by ferri on Sep 11th, 2019, 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Link to article added.
1791
Board Meister
 
Posts: 526
Likes: 1056 posts
Liked in: 304 posts
Joined: Jul 29th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby GordonH » Sep 11th, 2019, 9:21 am

Keeping guns out of the hands of the criminal element is difficult if not impossible.

Those who want to legally own firearms (those guns permitted in Canada) should continue to do so via proper channels.

Someone bound and determined to get there hands on a legal or illegal gun will find a way, all we can do is try to plug those holes as they are found.

Personally I've never had want or need for a gun myself
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
User avatar
GordonH
Buddha of the Board
 
Posts: 23498
Likes: 2854 posts
Liked in: 9074 posts
Joined: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:21 pm
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby Bsuds » Sep 11th, 2019, 9:36 am

1791 wrote:Chicago.
Fifteen people were shot, two fatally, on Tuesday in Democrat-controlled Chicago.


Why is that even relevant and they don't "Control" Chicago?
Ducks have feathers to cover their Butt Quacks!
User avatar
Bsuds
The Wagon Master
 
Posts: 44869
Likes: 10670 posts
Liked in: 13230 posts
Joined: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:46 am

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby Scorp » Sep 11th, 2019, 9:38 am

Truth4Freedom wrote:
The best solution for everyone's sake is to educate them on personal responsibility, accountability and doing no harm to others. Follow up by teaching about firearms safety but most of all, bring back the nuclear family and values that love one another beyond anything else so that those with such hatred in their hearts can find refuge for healing and managing their problems.


Emotional intelligence for 'control', along with 'education . . ..'




*Bleep* rifles like the AR-15 are purely about fantasy and play.

This is all that anyone needs to go hunting.



LOL and it's 'duck hunting season' where I live again.
Scorp
Board Meister
 
Posts: 610
Likes: 98 posts
Liked in: 189 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2019, 4:35 am

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby spooker » Sep 11th, 2019, 10:54 am

Bsuds wrote:
1791 wrote:Chicago.
Fifteen people were shot, two fatally, on Tuesday in Democrat-controlled Chicago.


Why is that even relevant and they don't "Control" Chicago?


Chicago comes up a lot because it has some of the strictest gun laws in the U.S. ... the weakness in pulling Chicago up is that it's only a 20 minute drive away from one of the laxest states, Indiana ... gun laws enacted at the state level are going to do squat for actual results when the neighboring states are a free-for-all ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato

seewood likes this post.
User avatar
spooker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1700
Likes: 1295 posts
Liked in: 995 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby Scorp » Sep 11th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Same as Australia.

1791 likes this post.
Scorp
Board Meister
 
Posts: 610
Likes: 98 posts
Liked in: 189 posts
Joined: Jun 9th, 2019, 4:35 am

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby 1791 » Sep 11th, 2019, 10:11 pm

Well color me surprised.

https://www.dcclothesline.com/2019/09/1 ... turned-in/

LOL.

Anyone think it would be different here ?
1791
Board Meister
 
Posts: 526
Likes: 1056 posts
Liked in: 304 posts
Joined: Jul 29th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby 1791 » Sep 11th, 2019, 10:15 pm

Question ? Why is Indiana or Kentucky not leading the way in murder if guns are the problem. Especially seeing as how so many fools drag out the Indiana argument. The fact is Democrats tend to be murderers and crooks. Goes back a long long way. Started before 1865.
1791
Board Meister
 
Posts: 526
Likes: 1056 posts
Liked in: 304 posts
Joined: Jul 29th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby spooker » Sep 12th, 2019, 5:50 am

1791 wrote:Question ? Why is Indiana or Kentucky not leading the way in murder if guns are the problem. Especially seeing as how so many fools drag out the Indiana argument. The fact is Democrats tend to be murderers and crooks. Goes back a long long way. Started before 1865.


Name-calling is always an effective debate tactic ... but the reality is people, same for all the rest of the woes we encounter ... labelling groups to prove one side or another is to blame is pointless ... population pressure, competition for resources, wealth inbalance ... these are the drivers behind human misery ... people tend to be murderers and crooks ...
--
Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. -- Plato
User avatar
spooker
Übergod
 
Posts: 1700
Likes: 1295 posts
Liked in: 995 posts
Joined: May 12th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Kelowna, BC, CA

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby 1791 » Sep 12th, 2019, 5:56 am

spooker wrote:
1791 wrote:Question ? Why is Indiana or Kentucky not leading the way in murder if guns are the problem. Especially seeing as how so many fools drag out the Indiana argument. The fact is Democrats tend to be murderers and crooks. Goes back a long long way. Started before 1865.


Name-calling is always an effective debate tactic ... but the reality is people, same for all the rest of the woes we encounter ... labelling groups to prove one side or another is to blame is pointless ... population pressure, competition for resources, wealth inbalance ... these are the drivers behind human misery ... people tend to be murderers and crooks ...



Except all the states near Illinois are peaceful. Idyllic even. Look at Indiana. No where near the level of violence. Your rite the problem is democrat people. No republicans in Chiraq
1791
Board Meister
 
Posts: 526
Likes: 1056 posts
Liked in: 304 posts
Joined: Jul 29th, 2019, 2:41 pm

Re: Take a stand on guns you say??

Postby AlienSoldier » Sep 12th, 2019, 7:49 am

1791 wrote:
spooker wrote:
Name-calling is always an effective debate tactic ... but the reality is people, same for all the rest of the woes we encounter ... labelling groups to prove one side or another is to blame is pointless ... population pressure, competition for resources, wealth inbalance ... these are the drivers behind human misery ... people tend to be murderers and crooks ...



Except all the states near Illinois are peaceful. Idyllic even. Look at Indiana. No where near the level of violence. Your rite the problem is democrat people. No republicans in Chiraq


List of states arranged by gun violence (#1 is the worst). You will notice that its a mix of Republican and Democrat states all throughout. This leads me to believe that one state can't truly protect itself with its own laws (except Alaska and Hawaii). Its either at the national level you make changes, or you don't at all.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2018/02/21/states-most-and-least-gun-violence-see-where-your-state-stacks-up/359395002/

spooker likes this post.
AlienSoldier
Board Meister
 
Posts: 514
Likes: 95 posts
Liked in: 338 posts
Joined: Oct 30th, 2017, 11:53 am

Next

Return to Social Concerns

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CommonCrawl [Bot] and 3 guests