Preparing for Armageddon and / or Other Disasters

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Preparing for Armageddon and / or Other Disasters

Post by Scorp »

Preparing for Armageddon

WATCH ON CBC NEWS NETWORK

Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 10 PM ET/PT Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 10 PM ET/PT

“IT’S NOT A BAD IDEA TO HAVE A SAFETY NET.” CANADIAN PREPPER SHOWS OTHERS HOW TO READY FOR DISASTER

http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/feature ... others-how
alanjh595
Banned

Re: Preparing for Armageddon and / or Other Disasters

Post by alanjh595 »

To prepare for Armageddon is useless, as it is described as "the end of the world".
Armageddon (/ˌɑːrməˈɡɛdən/, from Ancient Greek: Ἁρμαγεδών Harmagedōn,[1][2] Late Latin: Armagedōn,[3] from Hebrew: הר מגידו Har Megiddo) is the prophesied location of a gathering of armies for a battle during the end times, variously interpreted as either a literal or a symbolic location. The term is also used in a generic sense to refer to any end of the world scenario.

If it is the end of the world, then there is no escaping it. It's over, we are all finished, it is unsurvivable, good night.

How can anyone predict and prepare for ALL other disasters? There are so many possibilities. One could prepare for "the great flood", but instead there is a great earthquake. One could prepare for a nuclear bomb attack, buy what if instead it was an EMP?

Any preparations will only extend the pain and suffering.
Bring back the LIKE button.
2manyfords
Übergod

Post by 2manyfords »

Meh...

I've had a good run.

That type of future of living like a mole doesn't appeal to me. Not the kind of world i'd want to continue in. :130:
Trying to think of something profound, and full of wisdom to place here...any suggestions?
fvkasm2x
Guru

Post by fvkasm2x »

I would LOVE LOVE to own a little bunker or fallout shelter.

But they're expensive and I don't have the land to build my own lol
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

rather go sit on the roof and await the disaster than live in a bunker for years.
But if you are determined to live the Bunker life cozy up to someone already has one ( we know Bpeeps prolly does)
Or, find them and crash
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Babba_not_Gump
Walks on Forum Water

Post by Babba_not_Gump »

Scorp wrote:Preparing for Armageddon

WATCH ON CBC NEWS NETWORK

Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 10 PM ET/PT Sunday, September 15, 2019 at 10 PM ET/PT

“IT’S NOT A BAD IDEA TO HAVE A SAFETY NET.” CANADIAN PREPPER SHOWS OTHERS HOW TO READY FOR DISASTER

http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/feature ... others-how

Of course it's on CBC. The media, and especially CBC love these doomsday stories. Just check out the doomsday Climate Change stories on our subsidized media.
I'm posting this from Traditional lands of the British Empire & the current Lands of The Dominion of Canada.
I also give thanks for this ethos richness bestowed on us via British Colonialism.

#StandUpToJewishHate
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

Woah! Not all of the doomsday climate change stories and what do about it come from the CBC.

"What If We Stopped Pretending?

The climate apocalypse is coming. To prepare for it, we need to admit that we can’t prevent it."

By Jonathan Franzen September 8, 2019

The New Yorker

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultur ... pretending

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if people check out the doc in the OP article that I posted, to the hostess (and me) it looks like that first featured family aren't bothering to 'pretend' about the 'coming' all--they seem to be already living in it--something like living in, "The Last of Us." [icon_lol2.gif]

Also I love the kids with the .22s--reminds me of when I was that age; although I could do as just well with my Mercury .22 single-shot that my Pa got me second-hand from good ol' Uncle Ben's. :biggrin:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, sorry, I forgot to add that that New Yorker article comes from the Cultural section . . ..

So it doesn't really qualify, either, as news.
Ka-El
Buddha of the Board

Post by Ka-El »

alanjh595 wrote: Any preparations will only extend the pain and suffering.

Ya, sticking around for that is not at the top of my list at my age. An extinction event asteroid strike, then no one has to worry about much, but nuclear war, climate change, etc. will leave survivors who will have to make some type of go of it.

That will be for younger folk. Good luck to them.
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

:130:

I think the same way. A good bottle of booze, a bit of that new legal substance, and off we go--contribute in my own way to the new 'economy'.

Here's the best comment I found so far under the CBC article.

Arthur Reed

2 days ago

My aim once civilization ends is to keep my bow skills up, maintain a good supply of arrows, ensure that my firearms and ammo are safe and keep an eye on my neighbours -- or as I now refer to them, my larder.
[icon_lol2.gif]
normaM
The Pilgrim

Post by normaM »

^^^^ that was gold. My larder LOL.
If there was a Loser contest you'd come in second
Even Steven
Guru

Post by Even Steven »

I think most people should not be concerned about being prepared for Armageddon or a huge disaster, but worry themselves about lesser things - car breaking down, getting injured and not being able to work, water tank crapping out on them.

Cause most people are not prepared for any of that either and it has a much higher chance of happening.
Bsuds
The Wagon Master

Post by Bsuds »

At my age I would rather the meteor/bomb hit's my house so I don't have to worry about surviving.
My Wife asked me if I knew what her favorite flower was?
Apparently "Robin Hood All Purpose" was the wrong answer!
alanjh595
Banned

Post by alanjh595 »

There are not many preppers in Canada. Canadians tend live in some wonder world bubble- all will be okay, sunny ways. They will put their great wealth in a house in the city, fancy hardwood, designer bathroom sink, with google home or alexa- (ha ha) fancy cars, designer clothes, skip the dishes...you get the idea. There is a 99.999% chance that you are one of them.

Who would want to bomb Canada? We don't have any nuclear weapons, no strategic targets, we are not a threat to any other country in the world. In fact, we have an open gate policy for all other people of this world.
The worst we could face is the Americans after a bomb was dropped on them, and they are desperate enough to migrate North in the search of food, water, and shelter.

Why should fear of the highly unlikely, rule the comfort and way of life of us Canadians? Pretty minuscule chance that us Canadians have to worry about. BUT if you want to build a shelter, go for it, you will be the first place the desperate will go, and the Americans are better prepared and armed than any Canadian.
(Did you know that a bullet proof vest is illegal in Canada?)
Bring back the LIKE button.
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

Hi oldtrucker et. al.

Links from the OP article:

"Canadian Prepper YouTube channel."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfgtuaUadGgOA-91geQ8Qog

"100 Days Worth of Food for $100: LASTS 25 YEARS!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apRe0uKkmy0

"The Most Valuable Resource after Disaster: Emergency Water Storage for Power Outages"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJbs9RTCAcI

"EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS (EP) WEEK 2010 EVALUATION

Prepared for Public Safety Canada"

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/200/301/pw ... ummary.pdf

"GOC Get Prepared"

http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/index-eng.aspx

Do you think the CBC would let you down? :biggrin:
Scorp
Generalissimo Postalot

Post by Scorp »

The CBC links . . ..