Preparing for Armageddon and / or Other Disasters

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Preparing for Armageddon and / or Other Disasters

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 16th, 2019, 11:51 am

There are not many preppers in Canada. Canadians tend live in some wonder world bubble- all will be okay, sunny ways. They will put their great wealth in a house in the city, fancy hardwood, designer bathroom sink, with google home or alexa- (ha ha) fancy cars, designer clothes, skip the dishes...you get the idea. There is a 99.999% chance that you are one of them.

Who would want to bomb Canada? We don't have any nuclear weapons, no strategic targets, we are not a threat to any other country in the world. In fact, we have an open gate policy for all other people of this world.
The worst we could face is the Americans after a bomb was dropped on them, and they are desperate enough to migrate North in the search of food, water, and shelter.

Why should fear of the highly unlikely, rule the comfort and way of life of us Canadians? Pretty minuscule chance that us Canadians have to worry about. BUT if you want to build a shelter, go for it, you will be the first place the desperate will go, and the Americans are better prepared and armed than any Canadian.
(Did you know that a bullet proof vest is illegal in Canada?)
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4850 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Sep 16th, 2019, 1:21 pm

*removed*
Last edited by ferri on Sep 16th, 2019, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Off Topic
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1493 posts

Postby Scorp » Sep 16th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Hi oldtrucker et. al.

Links from the OP article:

"Canadian Prepper YouTube channel."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfgtuaUadGgOA-91geQ8Qog

"100 Days Worth of Food for $100: LASTS 25 YEARS!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apRe0uKkmy0

"The Most Valuable Resource after Disaster: Emergency Water Storage for Power Outages"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJbs9RTCAcI

"EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS (EP) WEEK 2010 EVALUATION

Prepared for Public Safety Canada"

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/200/301/pw ... ummary.pdf

"GOC Get Prepared"

http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/index-eng.aspx

Do you think the CBC would let you down? :biggrin:
Scorp
Board Meister

Liked in: 192 posts

Postby oldtrucker » Sep 16th, 2019, 4:52 pm

Scorp wrote:Hi oldtrucker et. al.

Links from the OP article:

"Canadian Prepper YouTube channel."

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfgtuaUadGgOA-91geQ8Qog

"100 Days Worth of Food for $100: LASTS 25 YEARS!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apRe0uKkmy0

"The Most Valuable Resource after Disaster: Emergency Water Storage for Power Outages"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJbs9RTCAcI

"EMERGENCY PREPAREDNESS (EP) WEEK 2010 EVALUATION

Prepared for Public Safety Canada"

http://epe.lac-bac.gc.ca/100/200/301/pw ... ummary.pdf

"GOC Get Prepared"

http://www.getprepared.gc.ca/index-eng.aspx

Do you think the CBC would let you down? :biggrin:

You would have to intentionally look for gov't of Canada survival info on nuclear war-if you found anything at all. And, if you did...I'm not sure how useful it would really be.
Here are your friendly neighbourhood NATO targets that will receive 2 or more nuclear warheads....
Radar sites in the north- not included in this list. ( If your dumb enough to put your shelter near a early warning radar,well…)
Western Canada
CFB Esquimalt -lotsa boats.
CFB Comox- anti submarine aircraft, and west base for F18's from Cold Lake.
CFB Edmonton- 1/3 of Canada's ground forces.
CFB Wainwright
CFB Cold Lake-lotsa airplanes.
CFB Moose Jaw
CFB Suffield (?)
CFD Dundurn ( NATO weapons storage facility)

I'm not going to get into all of the targets in Washington state. For a full list of the targets and map see 'nuclear disaster inevitable' thread. The whole military complex there is huge,-multiple bases including Bangor Trident nuclear submarine base and will receive at least 50 warheads. We are only 175 miles downwind from that complex. Fairchild AFB is the same distance but has less chance of depositing fallout here as it is further east.
Fallout shelter stay time here in the Okanagan assuming mid and high level winds were from the south west on the day of the war...3-4 months. That's it...3 months really isn't that bad, is it?
If the wind was north west, 3 weeks. That's it.
A person would want to stay a bit longer because of all the nuclear power plants that would be on fire around the world, but fallout from weapons detonations decays very quickly.
There are posters here that say they don't want to live through it... Power is out, the air tastes metallic, thick smoke...you can feel the headache coming on and the vomiting starts....Would you commit suicide if you knew you were going to die from radiation poisoning in a few days or so?
That's why I mentioned earlier not to worry about collecting a arsenal of weapons and ammo. Who is going to be alive to take your stuff? No one...unless they had a proper shelter, and in that case they are your friend. No one else is alive.
Some may view my above politically incorrect opinions as 'harsh' and may even be offended by them. Some think political correctness will be our undoing. Save the planet, spay or neuter your kids.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Scorp » Sep 16th, 2019, 5:09 pm

The CBC links . . ..
Scorp
Board Meister

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 16th, 2019, 6:34 pm

You would have to intentionally look for gov't of Canada survival info on nuclear war-if you found anything at all. And, if you did...I'm not sure how useful it would really be.
Here are your friendly neighbourhood NATO targets that will receive 2 or more nuclear warheads....
Radar sites in the north- not included in this list. ( If your dumb enough to put your shelter near a early warning radar,well…)
Western Canada
CFB Esquimalt -lotsa boats.
CFB Comox- anti submarine aircraft, and west base for F18's from Cold Lake.
CFB Edmonton- 1/3 of Canada's ground forces.
CFB Wainwright
CFB Cold Lake-lotsa airplanes.
CFB Moose Jaw
CFB Suffield (?)
CFD Dundurn ( NATO weapons storage facility)

All very low value targets that would require anything more than a few sticks of dynamite. An atomic bomb is waaaay overkill.
Wainright?
Really? Ground forces? Where are they going to go? They put it on Global news that their trucks going there for the weekend camping trip.

RM of Dundurn suing Canadian government for $100M over road closure
The RM of Dundurn is seeking $100 million in damages over a road closure through a military base, saying it breaches a 1953 agreement.
https://globalnews.ca/tag/cfd-dundurn/

If some drops a bomb on us, by the time you hear the bang, it's already too late to run for cover.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby oldtrucker » Sep 16th, 2019, 7:41 pm

Scorp wrote:The CBC links . .

I went through them...not much there. What do I expect? I don't know. I guess they have to keep it simple.

oldtrucker wrote:There are not many preppers in Canada. Canadians tend live in some wonder world bubble- all will be okay, sunny ways. They will put their great wealth in a house in the city, fancy hardwood, designer bathroom sink, with google home or alexa- (ha ha) fancy cars, designer clothes, skip the dishes...you get the idea. There is a 99.999% chance that you are one of them.

To add to this...I'm almost one of these people as well. I'm as bleeped as anyone else here in the Okanagan. I think my worst fear is a unexpected situation that spins out of control fast and I'm on my way to, or in Vancouver when I hear about it on the radio. Then I'm just as dead as everyone else that's there...there is no way out of the lower mainland in that situation. ( all it takes to shut that place down is a accident on hwy 1 on a normal day.)
What I mean by unexpected is having it start with no heads up at all, like a first strike situation.

Wouldn't happen, not enough firepower in the region, but tonight, the US could launch a cruise missile attack on Iranian targets in response to the Iranian cruise missile attack in Saudi Arabia.On the next day, If Russia declared it's protecting Iran and started moving equipment in...that's it. Then it's no longer unexpected. At that point, that's when I would make the call to leave here- and hope it wouldn't get nasty to quick before I got to safety.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby Scorp » Sep 16th, 2019, 7:56 pm

oldtrucker wrote: There is a 99.999% chance that you are one of them.

:biggrin:

oldtrucker likes this post.
Scorp
Board Meister

Postby oldtrucker » Sep 17th, 2019, 10:29 am

Another Armageddon situation would be... A global pandemic... a plague of some kind.
Intentionally engineered to save the planet from over population or natural, say it had a very high fatality rate and people could be infected by breathing the air exhaled by a person a block away. To dangerous to even drive through town with the windows up. The same solution would apply as a nuclear disaster- a isolated shelter.

Another Armageddon situation would be... A once in 5000 years coronal mass ejection (CME event). Entire planet without power for years. Spent fuel rod storage and nuclear power plant meltdowns after the diesel generators for cooling shut down. Very few vehicles with electronics that haven't been fried.
Again, self sufficient isolated shelter.

Another Armageddon situation would be...Global Zombie Apocalypse starting in Rutland...Almost everyone becomes a drug addict. Again, isolated shelter with a first line of defense being a outer moat around it that's filled with fentanyl to lure them in to get them really high. Inner moat filled with syringes marked Narcan, but it's actually carfentanil so they don't become a problem ever again.

normaM likes this post.
oldtrucker
Grand Pooh-bah

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 17th, 2019, 10:37 am

AND....off to the Conspiracy threads we go.

2manyfords likes this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby Scorp » Sep 17th, 2019, 11:25 am

"Explosion at Russian lab housing smallpox, Ebola and other diseases: reports"

http://globalnews.ca/news/5912651/explo ... -smallpox/

And then there's the video game, Red Dead Nightmare, if the Rutland sitch happens, but I kinda like Rutland. :biggrin:

You know my Dentist, Library, liquor store . . .

oldtrucker likes this post.
Scorp
Board Meister

Postby mexi cali » Sep 17th, 2019, 2:39 pm

I recently read a couple of series about end of days due to EMP and a bio hazard "accident". I didn't think I'd like them but they were OK. I think I would be alright in a world with about 6 billion less people.
Praise the lord and pass the ammunition

2 people like this post.
mexi cali
Guru

Liked in: 4500 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 17th, 2019, 3:21 pm

mexi cali wrote:I recently read a couple of series about end of days due to EMP and a bio hazard "accident". I didn't think I'd like them but they were OK. I think I would be alright in a world with about 6 billion less people.

I would too, IF, I got to choose which ones.

3 people like this post.
alanjh595
Guru

Postby 2manyfords » Sep 17th, 2019, 5:01 pm

alanjh595 wrote:
mexi cali wrote:I recently read a couple of series about end of days due to EMP and a bio hazard "accident". I didn't think I'd like them but they were OK. I think I would be alright in a world with about 6 billion less people.

I would too, IF, I got to choose which ones.

Lol...

If only we could. :biggrin:
2manyfords
Fledgling

Liked in: 222 posts

Postby normaM » Sep 17th, 2019, 5:35 pm

So, live in a bunker for a few years to come out to Cockroaches, crazies and probably a Visa bill.
Most likely would be like Mad Max without the beautiful people and still a Costco :)
We once fell in love with a house that had not one but two " safe rooms" I mean how much trouble were those Sellers in? Would never have opened the damn front door. ( not that I do anyway)
My survival instincts include avoiding the Checkers with colds and buying those stale school chocolate fund raisers
Hey - still above ground so they work LOL
Remember, if you are in trouble I am here
So don't come here :/
We make everything you need and you need everything we make.
normaM
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 6491 posts

PreviousNext

Return to Social Concerns