Room mates!

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

Re: Room mates!

Postby OKkayak » Sep 18th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Queen K wrote:I'd argue a good lesson as to how to budget for having your own space.

https://www.roomster.com/

Roomster is a little too close to monster in my books.

Its not just about saving money, its the social aspect that makes it very popular as well.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 5003 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 18th, 2019, 10:27 pm

Social. "Who borrowed my milk?" "Isn't it time you unloaded the dryer?" and "are you bringing half the bar home again?" Fun. Not.

I had room mates twice.
Lake Louise, six of us in a condo where we all worked for the Chateau.
Banff National Park, Parks board gave us Atco trailers, eight people, one trailer for kitchen. Total mayhem.
Ya, I budgeted to earn my own space and will never look back.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15607 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 19th, 2019, 8:06 am

Queen K wrote:
rustled wrote:Took in roomers a couple of times to help pay the bills.

Yes, I'd do it again.

(Is this a first world problem?)

Of course it is. Many around the World live in huts with 13 relatives as room mates called "extended family."

What happened to your room mates once your bills were caught up? Eviction notice? Or did they get another hint?
Inquiring minds here.

LOL.

Once they got caught up on their bills, they found something that suited them better. Which is as it should be. No victims here.

I never had the problems some of you are describing. The women I took in were very respectful of my space and a pleasure to share it with.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 10458 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 19th, 2019, 9:16 am

Sounded like you ran into some higher bills. I know the former owner of this house had rented out the tiny bedroom I'm using as an office once to help her friend pay off some bills.

Great! Glad it worked out for you.

Someone I know came home and found that her roommate stole every last piece of her clothing. All of it.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby OKkayak » Sep 19th, 2019, 10:25 am

Queen K wrote:Social. "Who borrowed my milk?" "Isn't it time you unloaded the dryer?" and "are you bringing half the bar home again?" Fun. Not.

As I mentioned earlier, its a great way to learn organizational and cleaning skills and rules. Bigger groups of roommates vote people out if they're not following the agreed upon rules.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

rustled likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby Queen K » Sep 19th, 2019, 10:42 am

How many roommates have you had OKKayak? :popcorn:
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 19th, 2019, 11:10 am

I have taken in roommates many times over my life (I am guessing at 10). All of them were because they were "stuck" in a bad situation and needed help.
Each and every time, I had to force them out. The latest was just months ago, to a friend that I had for over 45 years, where I had to call the police to have him removed.
I lost the friendship and so much more.

I will never help another out again!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4850 posts

Postby OKkayak » Sep 19th, 2019, 11:16 am

Queen K wrote:How many roommates have you had OKKayak? :popcorn:

In total, about 8. Most at one time, 4 :popcorn:

- James Tiberius Kirk

alanjh595 likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 19th, 2019, 11:31 am

OKkayak wrote:
Queen K wrote:How many roommates have you had OKKayak? :popcorn:

In total, about 8. Most at one time, 4 :popcorn:

Sounds like a couple of my parties.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4850 posts

Postby Bestchum » Sep 19th, 2019, 11:39 am

I had roomie(s) in Panorama. We had bunk beds...I would hear "sounds" as I slept at night. The rest of the place was a disaster. Then another roomie who tried to show me his junk all the time - I moved out ASAP as that was very uncomfortable.

Perhaps if I was single without kids I would just hoard my money by living in a room then buying myself something later with a hefty down payment. I like my own space and living with anyone, even family, at the best of times is challenging enough!
A realist
Bestchum

Liked in: 24 posts

Postby rustled » Sep 19th, 2019, 11:41 am

Queen K wrote:Sounded like you ran into some higher bills. I know the former owner of this house had rented out the tiny bedroom I'm using as an office once to help her friend pay off some bills.

Someone I know came home and found that her roommate stole every last piece of her clothing. All of it.

I don't get why you want to comment about my bills, QueenK. In the circumstances I was in at the time, it made sense. I knew someone who needed a space. It worked for us.

I get there are horror stories out there, but I don't see the point in promoting the attitude that most roommates are evil. Particularly when that kind of thinking will dissuade folk from seeking a roommate, which only adds to the shortage of spaces for people who need them.
rustled
Guru

Liked in: 10458 posts

Postby kgcayenne » Sep 19th, 2019, 11:45 am

Carefu, careful, careful interviewing and vetting must be done. I am intuitive by nature and also one cynical *bleep*, so when I was sorting through applicants, I was friggin ruthless.
"without knowledge, he multiplies mere words."
Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your kids.
kgcayenne
Walks on Forum Water

Liked in: 4658 posts

Postby Queen K » Sep 19th, 2019, 12:13 pm

Of course you are wise Kccayenne. All of the above.

rustled wrote:
Queen K wrote:Sounded like you ran into some higher bills. I know the former owner of this house had rented out the tiny bedroom I'm using as an office once to help her friend pay off some bills.

I don't get why you want to comment about my bills, QueenK. In the circumstances I was in at the time, it made sense. I knew someone who needed a space. It worked for us.

I get there are horror stories out there, but I don't see the point in promoting the attitude that most roommates are evil. Particularly when that kind of thinking will dissuade folk from seeking a roommate, which only adds to the shortage of spaces for people who need them.

You mentioned them. Then said it was your room mates with the bills. GEEZ, I could use three roommates right now for all the reno money I'm shovelling out the the door.

And I never said "evil" you did. Do you read what people are posting on the topic? Horror storis abound. It's a fact. Do some roommates have friends and social cicles widen? Sure. Never heard of it but could happen. A whole tv show was done on that called "Friends."

Anyways, I hope more people post their stories. Maybe some good ones?
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Previous

Return to Social Concerns