More people not taking responsibility for themselves...

Social, economic and environmental issues in our ever-changing world.

More people not taking responsibility for themselves...

Postby RustyCrayon » Sep 18th, 2019, 9:36 pm

This is getting ridiculous...

https://www.castanet.net/news/BC/266228/Petting-zoo-suit-dismissed

It's a petting zoo for crying out loud. When I visited the IPE a few weeks ago, they clearly had signs posted all over the place about washing your hands and not eating or drinking food while wandering in the barns with the animals. I saw tons of people petting the animals while stuffing french fries into their faces with the same hand.

Animals poop. Chances are pretty good that they will have some of that poop on them too.
So you pet the animal, then shove your hand in your mouth and get sick...then you want to sue?

What is this world coming to??

Reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.

2 people like this post.
RustyCrayon
Board Meister

Liked in: 543 posts

Re: More people not taking responsibility for themselves...

Postby Queen K » Sep 18th, 2019, 9:42 pm

Oh God forbid using commonsense. Sue instead and ruin the World.
Using cash is one of your few forms of privacy: use it or lose it. 1984 isn't the only Orwell novel that needs to to made fiction again.

OKkayak likes this post.
Queen K
Queen of the Castle

Liked in: 15582 posts

Postby OKkayak » Sep 18th, 2019, 9:51 pm

RustyCrayon wrote:Reminds me of the movie Idiocracy.

Water? You mean like out of a toilet? [icon_lol2.gif]
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

Sparki55 likes this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4910 posts

Postby two_shoes1mit » Sep 19th, 2019, 8:34 am

More money than brains. Nice bonus for the eager lawyer. Better to keep those children at home with their iPhones than teaching them some sanitation around animals and eating. Sad.
two_shoes1mit
Fledgling

Liked in: 192 posts

Postby Grandan » Sep 19th, 2019, 9:21 am

two_shoes1mit wrote:More money than brains. Nice bonus for the eager lawyer. Better to keep those children at home with their iPhones than teaching them some sanitation around animals and eating. Sad.

I am reminded of the food service worker who reaches for their phone in the middle of handling food.
It's the same phone they used when they were on the toilet, that they touched after using the door handle in a public place.
Yes they washed their hands when they got to work but not before checking for messages so the bacteria and viruses are smeared all over their phone. To go from that filthy phone to immediately handling food is unconscionable. You might just as well as handle the toilet seat without washing your hands and many do including food service workers.
Waste not

two_shoes1mit likes this post.
Grandan
Grand Pooh-bah

Liked in: 1004 posts

Postby OKkayak » Sep 19th, 2019, 10:36 am

Grandan wrote:I am reminded of the food service worker who reaches for their phone in the middle of handling food.
It's the same phone they used when they were on the toilet, that they touched after using the door handle in a public place.
Yes they washed their hands when they got to work but not before checking for messages so the bacteria and viruses are smeared all over their phone. To go from that filthy phone to immediately handling food is unconscionable. You might just as well as handle the toilet seat without washing your hands and many do including food service workers.

Glad I don't share the same germaphobe hysteria outlook of life as you do. Geezus.
“Our species can only survive if we have obstacles to overcome. You remove those obstacles. Without them to strengthen us, we will weaken and die.”

- James Tiberius Kirk

2 people like this post.
OKkayak
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 4910 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 19th, 2019, 11:28 am

There was one time, while I was waiting in line at a local hardware store, I watched as the cashier took a box of poison from the lock-up cage, carried it to the counter where the customer paid for it and left.
The next customer stepped up and the same cashier reached inside the popcorn machine, bagged, and gave the popcorn to the child of the next customer.
No gloves, no hand washing, nothing.

I will never have any ready-to-eat products from an establishment that doesn't specialize in food prep and service again. I have not eaten at any ready-to-eat place again. Once you witness something as dangerous and disgusting as this, you will put a lot more thought into what your food could be exposed to before putting it in your mouth again.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4842 posts

Postby GordonH » Sep 19th, 2019, 11:54 am

When city folks get a very small taste of farm animals, oh no the sh :cuss: t hits the fan.

As kids we played some nasty jokes on our city cousins.
When you have to start compromising yourself and your morals for the people around you, it’s probably time to change the people around you. John Spence
GordonH
Buddha of the Board

Liked in: 9074 posts
Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Postby TylerM4 » Sep 19th, 2019, 11:58 am

alanjh595 wrote:There was one time, while I was waiting in line at a local hardware store, I watched as the cashier took a box of poison from the lock-up cage, carried it to the counter where the customer paid for it and left.
The next customer stepped up and the same cashier reached inside the popcorn machine, bagged, and gave the popcorn to the child of the next customer.
No gloves, no hand washing, nothing.

I will never have any ready-to-eat products from an establishment that doesn't specialize in food prep and service again. I have not eaten at any ready-to-eat place again. Once you witness something as dangerous and disgusting as this, you will put a lot more thought into what your food could be exposed to before putting it in your mouth again.

While I agree it's a little alarming, the cashier didn't actually touch the poison (just the box) nor did he/she touch the popcorn unless you're claiming it was scooped into the bag with his/her hands. The risk of harm here is very low.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1439 posts

Postby alanjh595 » Sep 19th, 2019, 1:15 pm

TylerM4 wrote:While I agree it's a little alarming, the cashier didn't actually touch the poison (just the box) nor did he/she touch the popcorn unless you're claiming it was scooped into the bag with his/her hands. The risk of harm here is very low.

Are these boxes sterile?
These boxes are filled on a production line before they are sealed shut. How much dust is in the air and is exposed to the previous box?
How does the factory clean the outside of a cardboard box? How much residue does it take to poison a child? How many boxes did she handle before bagging that popcorn?
I agree, that the risk is low, but.......how much risk is a small child worth?

These are poisons, they are made to kill.
Why do you think that this stuff is "locked-up"?

Do you keep your poisonous cleaning products under the sink and within a child's reach?
(and NO, I am NOT referring to the poster directly, by using the word "you").
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.
alanjh595
Guru

Liked in: 4842 posts

Postby TylerM4 » Sep 19th, 2019, 1:38 pm

alanjh595 wrote:
Are these boxes sterile?
These boxes are filled on a production line before they are sealed shut. How much dust is in the air and is exposed to the previous box?
How does the factory clean the outside of a cardboard box? How much residue does it take to poison a child? How many boxes did she handle before bagging that popcorn?
I agree, that the risk is low, but.......how much risk is a small child worth?

These are poisons, they are made to kill.
Why do you think that this stuff is "locked-up"?

Do you keep your poisonous cleaning products under the sink and within a child's reach?
(and NO, I am NOT referring to the poster directly, by using the word "you").

I agree with you. Sorta. Although I don't understand why you've somehow tried to associate the possibility of transferring a microscopic amount of poison to the risk of storing poison in a location that children can come in direct contact with large amounts of the stuff.

When is the last time you've actually handled rat poison? You paint a picture of the box being filled on a production line. My experience has been that's not the case at all. There's at least 2 inserts between the poison and the outer box. The box/bag that gets put inside the outer box may have trace amounts of poison on it, but there's still another layer between the handler and that trace amount. Poisons are heavily regulated. There's a reason there are no special handling rules/instructions when it comes to this stuff - just rules around storage.

I simply said that the risk is very low. You seem to agree with that. I don't mean just "the risk of some being transferred" but also the risk associated with consuming such a small amount should it actually occur. Poisons sold to the public aren't that toxic just for this reason. A child would need to ingest more of it than it would be reasonably possible to transfer to the popcorn before the child exhibits any symptoms of poisoning.
TylerM4
Übergod

Liked in: 1439 posts

Postby Jonrox » Sep 19th, 2019, 2:00 pm

I think the bigger example of people not taking responsibility for themselves is rearing it's ugly head with political affiliations.

Rather than taking responsibility for their unbecoming actions and words, the response we most often hear is "well look at (insert random crappy behaviour) that the opposing party/leader/members did. They're much worse than we are." Seemingly oblivious to the the fact that they're still crappy people too, maybe just a little bit less stinky. The end result is that everybody is still crappy but to varying degrees... and nobody is actually a good person.
Jonrox
Lord of the Board

Liked in: 2520 posts

Return to Social Concerns